Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

***Official WA Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone going to Rose Fest in Portland tomorrow? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pa...-car-show.html
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

Amsoil oil filter is shorter than OEM.

In addition, the micron filtering of Amsoil has been consistantly lower than WIX or OEM, INCLUDING double stinting the filter to reach 10K miles which they advertise.

I also take this information from a person who is in the field of oil testing. Sorry its not internet here-say or unicorn spray-farts. Oil Doc will suppy you with the technical data if you can get in touch with him.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-filter.html

"
I will agree with you on the Mits Filter...

Not so much on the reason to run a quality filter... I have seen Fram filter implode and cause puked engines and I have seen holes in the media of Frams close to 1/8 of an inch.

I have also seen filter cans seperate from the Base Plate and have seen filter rot off or the cans are so thin that they crush with minimal force when you are trying to take them off.. This goes to the quality of construction and materials used.

I have been inside of many engines and have never seen bearings that look "new" except for a couple that let loose with only a few miles on them. They can look good but will usually have scuff marks and scratches in them. The scratches are from particulate. Even if they looked good, if you didn't Plast-Guage them, they could have been sanded.

Filters are rated for Micron and Flow among other things and for what we are talking about in this instance, we will concentrate on Micron Ratings...

The human eye can see to approximately 40 Micron, so we are talking some pretty small particle here. A Fram will have a Nominal Micron Rating around 33-40 depending on the filter.. A WIX for the Evo has a Micron Rating of 19... These are Nominal Ratings (50%) In Comparison, the AMSOIL EA Series is the Best filter you can buy, conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute.

Now, for where this is going..... 65% of wear caused by dirt in an engine, is caused by Particles in the 5-25 Micron range..

250K is nothing on a well maintained engine... I have 345,000 miles on my very abused work van with 25,000-35,000 mile oil changes using AMSOIL and AMSOIL Filters..

Doc"
MZ690116 is the OEM filter I'm referring to, I know there is a taller, skinnier one as well. I can get the PN of the Amsoil filter I was sent when I get home, but it'd definitely taller than the MZ690116 and a little narrower. Not as tall as the other OEM or as narrow, kind of right in the middle of the two

I know Amsoil EA is one of the best filters on the market, but with the use my car sees I'd rather have the filter tucked up under the car more and go with a 2nd/3rd place filter than a 1st place filter
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this what you mean by under the hat? There's grease but the cavity isn't packed.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Attached Thumbnails ***Official WA Chat Thread***-003-2..jpg  

Last edited by Evol Knievo; Jun 15, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep that's it. Might want to add some grease. It'll work its way in. I have a bunch if u need some.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:40 PM

Made the the voyage down to english for the first time on thursday.My car is pretty much stock with the exception of a walbro fuel pump and greddy type RS bov(old owner).I had english perform a timing belt service,install a mbc,and tune.After all was said and done my car feels amazing though its nothing to hoot and hollar about(271hp/285tq).Cant wait to get an exhaust and other mods
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8Monster
Yep that's it. Might want to add some grease. It'll work its way in. I have a bunch if u need some.
Will do is it just all purpose grease or something special?

Originally Posted by jwalleg
Made the the voyage down to english for the first time on thursday.My car is pretty much stock with the exception of a walbro fuel pump and greddy type RS bov(old owner).I had english perform a timing belt service,install a mbc,and tune.After all was said and done my car feels amazing though its nothing to hoot and hollar about(271hp/285tq).Cant wait to get an exhaust and other mods
Nice, how much did they charge you for the tune?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwalleg
Nice! A good 3" exhaust will really free up some more hp.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

What a good son I have... Gave me money to get my bumper painted.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mistaken
What a good son I have... Gave me money to get my bumper painted.
did you buy yours unpainted or used in another color? or if I remember right, they only come in WW nowadays?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 99vipereater
Will do is it just all purpose grease or something special?
The grease I have says it's for bearings and suspension. Think I bought it at O'Reillys.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
did you buy yours unpainted or used in another color? or if I remember right, they only come in WW nowadays?
I got mine new from Mitsubishiparts.net and yeah in the WW color. Tyler should be changing that soon tho!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I'll just leave this here.

Last edited by Devgamer; Jun 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ive seen that. Sooooooooo weird.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:50 PM

Any one have secrets for combating this relentless green crap called moss that wont kill the paint. Yes I know I can get in there with a brush but is there anything I can spray to keep it from growing back??
Attached Thumbnails ***Official WA Chat Thread***-102.jpg  
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 99vipereater
Any one have secrets for combating this relentless green crap called moss that wont kill the paint. Yes I know I can get in there with a brush but is there anything I can spray to keep it from growing back??
I use simple green and q-tips

Quick Reply: ***Official WA Chat Thread***