Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

eclipse / evo8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 03:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
eclipse / evo8

Hey guys I guess I'll post up now. For those of you who haven't read my Introduction. I don't own a Evo. Honestly when the time is right I will. However I own a 2002 eclipse and I'm more than crazy enough to learn off my platform and see what i can get down with her. For me money isn't an issue and No I'm not rich I'm just a retired military guy still fighting for my total disability with the Army. Enough of that. I,m swapping my head and rebuilding my internals. However before I get all the way into my talking about my build I must say everything i'm doing is a moderate to slow pace for now. Anyhow I will post pics and talk about what I 'm doing. This will be my first engine swap in my life yet nowhere near my first time playing around with vehicles. To start off I was going to used my EVO 8 head I purchased a month ago from eBay but when I went to really prep her com to find out I got ripoff for my money. However the guy still didn't know that i win overall with what he did to me. Long story short he said the head was in good condition with no damage. Well i overlooked the part when I got to only find out that it was cracked before and had been welded. Not only that the manifold bolt and was broken inside the head with a broken extractor bolt in it. Its all good though cause what I spent over all still i won cause his stoptech titanium retainers and springs, cam caps, rockers and new stm lifters where more worth more than what I spent on the head. Thank the lord for that. Now here's an update since I joined in 2016 As of October 2020 the car has been tuned. Fixed my kinks to end up grenading my transmission f5m42.
brand new Evo 8 head
Evo 8 16g with 20psi on internal wastegate turbosmart
Hks 272 cams
Supertech STD nitride valves
Kiggly
Supertech Performance double springs w/ titanium
Invidia dump
Evo rom TuneD
CUSTOM FULL 3" EXHAUST AND DOWNPIPE
TIAL BOV 38MM
CUSTOM HEADERS
Custom IC piping
Mishimoto g line intercooler (upgrading to R line.)
STM Coolant Reservoir (EVO VIII)
Vibrant recess Oil catch can
Evo VII Brembos and front and Rear Disk conversion
My bottom end 4g64 I will bore to 87mm
Weisco pistons 87mm HD 1400
Manley 150mm rods
EVO VIII Oil pan and return line and baffled
Light weight flywheel Clutch masters
EVO III 65mm TB
Toyota Denson coils custom cop kit
Mishimoto oil cooler.
Speed density
Stage 4 clutchmaster clutch and light flywheel
L19 head studs
Arp main studs
Custom fabricated Mishimoto radiator -20AN hose
with much more goodies

Last edited by ghosteye36; Jan 7, 2021 at 02:00 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To be honest with the amount of money you are about to spend on that build, you could buy and evo...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
To be honest with the amount of money you are about to spend on that build, you could buy and evo...
Yeah.. I don't do payments. I only believe in paying in cash. Like I said I like the evo. But I'm not a 4 door car my friend. However I do like the evo overall. 4 doors =giving people rides. I hate that, unless they really need one lol. Now for me it helps my mind focus on something besides having major flashbacks and having the urge to hurt myself or someone . but in a way you are right. But honestly who doswnt like projects right?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 09:42 AM

Is some things as I get everything and do stuff. I will get rid of the Evo manifold and 02 housing so i can get and use my want list. also get the new EVO * head So this one in the pics will be a mock up to make sure stuff fit since i can't use it.

Just some of my work installing lambo doors and fabricating CF.

As of 02/26/16

Last edited by ghosteye36; Apr 28, 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 04:13 PM

Sorry for such huge pics
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Interesting project mate, why not carbon fibre the whole car for lightness, would make a good track car. Are all the other students on Facebook while your out carbon wrapping your car
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Interesting project mate, why not carbon fibre the whole car for lightness, would make a good track car. Are all the other students on Facebook while your out carbon wrapping your car
Thanks bud. i would If i could for light weight but the I wont cut my unremovable parts to the structure. That can be it dangerous with out the proper manufacturing and cnc equipment. However i will drop some weight on the doors they weigh 300 apiece. When I'm done they shouldn't weigh more than 55-85 lbs. my hatch was 325lbs with the glass in it or more now it barely weighs a 100 lbs. i'm limited to weight loss without going to far. my son still sits in a booster seat. maybe once he can be in the front with me ill do more weight lost in the rear and think about losing the AC completely. I rarely drive so the sun won't be my issue here in AZ lol. All in due time. for the students who knows I'm in Grad school, and too old to hang out with the kiddies in their twentys lol.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice to see projects like these come along. It's not always bad to see something different being done.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 06:09 PM
gio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pmed
Old Apr 30, 2016, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ghosteye36
Yeah.. I don't do payments. I only believe in paying in cash. Like I said I like the evo. But I'm not a 4 door car my friend. However I do like the evo overall. 4 doors =giving people rides. I hate that, unless they really need one lol. Now for me it helps my mind focus on something besides having major flashbacks and having the urge to hurt myself or someone . but in a way you are right. But honestly who doswnt like projects right?
Stay positive, keep on working away on this car, keep a good mindset (easier said than done).
That steering wheel is insane, I dont think I would be comfortable driving with that
Are you keeping the car front wheel drive?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Stay positive, keep on working away on this car, keep a good mindset (easier said than done).
That steering wheel is insane, I dont think I would be comfortable driving with that
Are you keeping the car front wheel drive?
Yeah this steering wheel always keep people looking in my car lol. BTW I'am keeping her FWD. I know traction would be ****ty nut i won't insanely race her only punch her when necessary on the long trips. HEHEHE. Thank you for the encouragement also.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 02:00 PM

Well someone has my Brennel red nose Pit i won't see her again I guess. so out of boredom and let me be real.... SADNESS I decided to polish my thermostat housing I have a long way to go need to get black and diamond rouge to finish the gloss i want and work on the second half.

Already started with the 320 wet sand- 1500 wetsand

final look after Megiuars compoung mirror glaze heavy cut, and plish

waiting to get the rouge and finish the top part then start on the bottom.

Now i'm loving this. so addictive and yes this was my first time. total of 6 hours
Old May 1, 2016, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There's nothing like polishing some aloominum in the man cave
when the missus is elbows up in dypers in the laundry
Old May 1, 2016, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job on the Polish job. As for traction issue if you really plan to keep the car you should look into gettin an Lsd one of the best mods I did to my 3rd Gen Eclipse. Helps 100% on traction issues even tho it's fwd
The following users liked this post:
ghosteye36 (May 2, 2016)
Old May 1, 2016, 03:11 PM
gio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rectzero
Nice job on the Polish job. As for traction issue if you really plan to keep the car you should look into gettin an Lsd one of the best mods I did to my 3rd Gen Eclipse. Helps 100% on traction issues even tho it's fwd
is it really worth it ? i have a fwd 3rd gen eclipse dohc turbo charged and would love to have better traction but i was thinking going awd is the best bet since our trannys dont hold much power

Quick Reply: eclipse / evo8