Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowevo82
Beautiful build..Great choice of parts.. looking forward to more
Thank you sir!

Just waiting on Boostin Performance to finish up my cylinder head and intake manifold.

After reading many threads, I ordered a Fluidampr crank pully to help with harmonics and bearing longevity. It should be here by tomorrow.

I also decided to order the 900hp Driveshaft shop front axles. My oem axles have over 100,000 miles on them and one of the boots tore apart.

I might just throw the shortblock as is in the car tonight just to get ahead on assembly time so that when the cylinder head comes I can throw it on and go. Having the entire engine together before it goes into the car would be car **** though...

-pal215
Old Sep 22, 2016, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Awesome build so far! in for updates. making me want to blow all of my money lol.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet build!!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Rebuild the axle, mitsubishi makes a boot rebuild kit, save your money
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Rebuild the axle, mitsubishi makes a boot rebuild kit, save your money
Too late

Maybe, i'll repair the boots and keep them as spares (although I'll probably never need to use them since i'm never going to launch this car hard)

-pal215
Old Sep 24, 2016, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Fluidampr is here gents:

Apparently it has a steel disk inside that sheers through silicon oil to absorb harmonic vibration and convert it to heat. Why that works I'm still not sure unless it has to do with entropy. Thermodynamics is not my forte, but I digress, this is that.

Fluidampr pulley vs oem crank pulley

-pal215
Old Oct 17, 2016, 03:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Update:

Boostin informed me that they would have my cylinder head and intake manifold shipped by next Monday. I also found out some interesting facts about some of my other parts.

The MAP evo 8/9 short runner exhaust manifold has been discontinued (Understandably). The STM standard oil catch can has also been taken off STM's website. They released a better one. The new one they released is sealed so that it can use the intake pipe negative pressure to place a proper vacuum on the crank case/valve cover. That being said, I'm still using their standard catch can

I will be trying out the cast FP Evo race manifold as it seems like it will be much more reliable in the long run. It has no welds that can crack.

Things are going well enough and I have done EVERYTHING in my power to finish what I can now, even without all of my parts. To give you an idea of just how close this is to being done, i'll leave you with this:

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Oct 17, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your build is fairly close to mine. interested in how this turns out.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by OneSlow9
your build is fairly close to mine. interested in how this turns out.
There are a couple of good people I know who are doing the exact build as we are. It's hard to beat for street duty and spool. Excited to get this thing together already. Start up date will be the day I get the cylinder head. Believe me, I won't waste any time as i'm a boost addict who has been deprived for much too long.

-pal215
Old Oct 19, 2016, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up

Ron,

I'm a native San Diegan. Nice to see another nicely built 2.3l FP Black Evo in SoCal.
A great assembly of parts, no doubt this car is going to perform magnificently. Like the other member mentioned, this is very similar to my old FP Black build. Just to give you some reference and what to expect, I'm posting a link to my thread where I shared my results. Now granted, I was using very mild cams, your list of parts will no doubt out perform my old set-up. When your car is running, maybe you can come out to Temecula where I live and we can hit up Palomar mountain.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e85-36psi.html
Old Oct 19, 2016, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Ron,

I'm a native San Diegan. Nice to see another nicely built 2.3l FP Black Evo in SoCal.
A great assembly of parts, no doubt this car is going to perform magnificently. Like the other member mentioned, this is very similar to my old FP Black build. Just to give you some reference and what to expect, I'm posting a link to my thread where I shared my results. Now granted, I was using very mild cams, your list of parts will no doubt out perform my old set-up. When your car is running, maybe you can come out to Temecula where I live and we can hit up Palomar mountain.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e85-36psi.html
Hey SLVRNBLK,

Thank you for the kind words. It's always encouraging to see another San Diegan who is also braving the retarded smog laws here. I will definitely check out your thread to see what's in store! We'll cruise it to Palomar mountain some time. I have a lot of sport bike buddies who ride up there on the weekends (They are always dropping bikes ) Believe it or not, i've never been there yet.

-Ron
Old Oct 20, 2016, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Hey evom team,

A manifold showed up at my house today. I'd put my money on it over this old tubular. See below for the why and how.

Why? Because crack.

How? Use a cast manifold to prevent weld cracks.

Who is currently using this manifold and likes it?

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have it and like it. Only issue with it is hardware fitment. If you use the FP hardware the 12 point nuts are an issue. Do some searching and you'll see. I bought a cheap 12 wrench and ground it down till it fit.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah Ron you need 2 longer bolts for the manifold, its like $25 on extremepsi's website I believe, if you cant find it let me knows il find it for you.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by J_Striker
I have it and like it. Only issue with it is hardware fitment. If you use the FP hardware the 12 point nuts are an issue. Do some searching and you'll see. I bought a cheap 12 wrench and ground it down till it fit.
Originally Posted by roni4g63
yeah Ron you need 2 longer bolts for the manifold, its like $25 on extremepsi's website I believe, if you cant find it let me knows il find it for you.
Thanks guys!

I went ahead and test fit it tonight and found it to bolt up perfectly (to the turbo at least for now ) I'm most likely going to be using good old 6 point hardware on this. I compared each runner size to my old tubular manifold and it's noticeably larger.

-pal215

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build