Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo Down, but not out!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Swap MAF to verify yours is still good to take that off the list.
The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (May 21, 2018)
Old May 21, 2018, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Its a diy cop, coils are fine I manually triggered all of them using the tool LGTD suggested.helpful tip to anyone who stumbles on this, don't hold the tool while you fire the coil. Unless you like tazzing yourself and getting laughed at by your SO. By fouled I mean they are covered in black sooty crap, 2 and 3 almost look cleaner every time I pull them out (probably because they are getting an alcohol bath). They are all soaked when I pull them. New plugs went in and same thing is happening to them.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA.
breathe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry...lmao

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
MAF won't cause spark issues. The car would also run with a bad MAF. To verify it's not the MAF, he can just unplug the MAF and start the car. It will start and idle fine with the MAF unplugged if the MAF is bad.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Could MAF give high flow air readings to flood cylinders?
Old May 21, 2018, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
He confirmed he's getting erratic spark, and no spark on certain cylinders. That would not be caused by the MAF.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
2006EvoIXer (May 21, 2018), Biggiesacks (May 21, 2018)
Old May 21, 2018, 12:57 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Did you hold a light bulb with your other hand?
I'd think 2 & 3 are your ignition problem since it's clean and shows no sign of burn. Could your injectors be stuck open? Can you hear clicking?
I actually had the tester in one hand and my other hand on the valve cover, which im sure was extra stupid because that puts the arc right through my chest. Luckily no heart conditions here. Could they be stuck, maybe, but it doesn't really line up with my current fact pattern so I haven't attempted to rule that out yet.

Did you clean your CAS and checked that wires are not broken & picking up a signal?
I did clean the CAS with electronics parts wash and some compressed air and re-installed it. The wires pass the visual and i put a DMM on the connector and got my battery, +5v, and ground so I'm pretty sure its good from a harness stand point.

My logged MAF hertz are on the money with all the previous logs during cranking (nice advantage to having an openport 2.0 stand alone logging all the time), so im pretty sure its working, also it was giving out good data even when the initial event when the car died.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA.
breathe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry...lmao
No worries, she was dying. The way she is with social media I'm just glad there isn't a gif of it on the interwebs.
Old May 21, 2018, 01:18 PM
kaj

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
(tried to start it when I found a loose chassis ground before the test).
Random.. but which one? I'm chasing an electrical gremlin and I'm wondering If I missed one.
Old May 21, 2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Random.. but which one? I'm chasing an electrical gremlin and I'm wondering If I missed one.
This one circled in red. I have been dicking around a lot in that area and when i found it loose i thought maybe, just maybe, but no...
Old May 21, 2018, 01:47 PM
kaj

Yeah. I have that one in place. I was being hopeful, also
Old May 21, 2018, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Since I see you are running a small battery, I would also suggest checking the cranking amps of the battery to make sure they are enough.
Old May 21, 2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Since I see you are running a small battery, I would also suggest checking the cranking amps of the battery to make sure they are enough.
Actually there is a bit of a story behind the battery. It took 3 hours for the tow truck to arrive and apparently 2 of the cells where already on the way out so they died while i was waiting. I had to remove the pack replace the 2 bad cells discharge test all the remaining cells, and then rebalance the pack. I have been recharging it in between starting attempts to keep it topped off and monitoring each cells voltage before and after each starting attempt. The pack is rated for 400 amps continuous draw and 16 amp hours, im not sure what that translates to in CCA, but its having no trouble cranking the engine and maintaining sufficient voltage for all the subsystems.
Old May 21, 2018, 05:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by deylag
Funny you mention that. My friend owns a stereo shop, so I put a Stinger battery in my car. When I start the car, it runs lean for a few seconds. We're guessing it's due to the car drawing so much on startup, then the battery has to catch up to supply full voltage to the injectors, ETC. We came to that conclusion because the car almost wants to die when I roll up the windows. He said his Evo reacted to the draw from windows, also, no matter how the tune was changed. It would seem the Evo may not have the best system for compensating for the power draws.
Just theory. We have no clue.
Old May 21, 2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Funny you mention that. My friend owns a stereo shop, so I put a Stinger battery in my car. When I start the car, it runs lean for a few seconds. We're guessing it's due to the car drawing so much on startup, then the battery has to catch up to supply full voltage to the injectors, ETC. We came to that conclusion because the car almost wants to die when I roll up the windows. He said his Evo reacted to the draw from windows, also, no matter how the tune was changed. It would seem the Evo may not have the best system for compensating for the power draws.
Just theory. We have no clue.
The "Injector Battery Voltage Latency Compensation" table in ecuflash is specifically to deal with this issue. You could try bumping it up a bit in the lower voltage cells and see if that helps. You could also put a DMM on the battery during start up and see what the voltage dips to at the terminals.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:00 PM
kaj

The "Injector Battery Voltage Latency Compensation" table in ecuflash is specifically to deal with this issue. You could try bumping it up a bit in the lower voltage cells and see if that helps. You could also put a DMM on the battery during start up and see what the voltage dips to at the terminals.
I just thought about that today, while my tuner was setting the car up. I could up the lower voltage cells. I so log the battery dropping pretty low when I roll up the windows with the lights on. I can literally hear the idle change. It's crazy.
Thanks for the advice. I will be trying just that! {bigthumb}
Old May 22, 2018, 08:46 PM

Quick update, I think the exhaust camshaft might have snapped. proceeding to pull the valve cover.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

What cams are you using? Never heard of that before!

Quick Reply: Evo Down, but not out!