Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car won’t go into gear while running. Low mile exedy twin disc clutch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2024, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car won’t go into gear while running. Low mile exedy twin disc clutch

Hey guys, I’m having an issue and I don’t know what the solution is. Evo 9 with a built 2.4 4G64, exedy twin HD clutch and stock transmission. I’ve replaced the clutch 3 times now after less than 2,000 miles on the clutch I find shifting into gears gets difficult and progresses to the point now where I cannot shift into 1st gear while parked and the car is running.
I can shift into all gears while the engine is off, but now while she’s running.
both times before I have taken the trans off and taken the clutch off to inspect. Monoloc and wave clip were both still intact but the clutch discs were destroyed. And yes I double verified the discs and plates were installed in the correct order and facing the right direction. Everything was torqued to specs as well.
my clutch pedal is also already fully adjusted out so I cannot adjust it any further. It just feels as if the clutch isn’t fully disengaging the trans from the motor.
also when I watch from the engine bay while another person pushes the clutch pedal down I can visually see the motor shifting slightly upwards.
I’m at a loss here fellas! Any help is greatly appreciated before I go buy another new clutch and possibly send the trans off to be rebuilt
Old Apr 18, 2024, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Motor shifting when clutch is pressed means the trans is not properly bolted to the engine. The engine would tilt down if it is loose from trans. When "pull type" clutch is used that would tend to pull the engine up and towards the trans.

You may have missing bolts, bad or missing dowel pins. The bolt behind the starter from trans side is missed some times. For whatever reason your trans / engine assembly is loose and using the clutch is pulling them together and up.

Drop subframe and trans get a engine hanger bar from harbor freight and do a very careful reinstall of trans with everything out of the way.

Mitsuatb
The following users liked this post:
imhenryd (Apr 18, 2024)
Old Apr 18, 2024, 08:54 AM

Hmmm, okay thank you! I will check it out, it hasn’t always done this, only after like 1k - 2k miles after the clutch install. I’m 99% sure I have all the trans mounting bolts installed, even the long pain in the *** one by the transfer case where you have to disconnect the acd line to install or remove.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know what power level or wreck history of the car. So also check for cracked bell housing. Nothing should move but the slave cylinder push rod and fork.

This is a hydraulic clutch so no external leverage to move the engine or tans.

Mitsuatb

Old Apr 21, 2024, 08:03 AM

Power is at 450hp/400ftlb. No wrecks ever. I was just troubleshooting again yesterday and I can’t get the car into any gear while the engine is running. The motor is not shifting anymore but it will not go into gear. When I try and put it into gear you can hear the clutch chatter and the rpm’s start to drop and you can feel the car trying to lurch forward. The clutch is not disengaging
Old Apr 21, 2024, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
When you took clutch for inspection did they checked the pressure plate?

Old Apr 21, 2024, 04:26 PM

Visual inspection yes and it looked fine
Old Apr 22, 2024, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Have confirmed that the TOB is engaged with the clutch center locking collar? You should be able to see it move if you remove the bottom rubber plug and use a pen light while somebody works the clutch pedal. If it is detached and not a mono lock the trans will have to come out to reposition the lock and wave springs. Not uncommon for this to get knocked out of position during trans install.

Mitsuatb

Old Apr 24, 2024, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Following, I'm having the same issue with my ACT twin,
Old Today, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
@imhenryd , Did you manage to resolve the issue?