Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Forge Evo15 Bov (recirc)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Forge Evo15 Bov (REVIEW)

I received my FORGE EVO15 from Scott@TTP in great time, as usual. Well packaged with all necessary components. I read Mellon's review on his experience with the FOrge unit on how he had problems and could never find a happy medium. However, I still decided to bite the bullet and make the purchase.

Upon boost leak testing my system found that my Greddy Type S was the source of an impressive leak(The rubber diaphragm inside the bov). I would have purchased another diaphargm, but I couldn't deal with waiting 6-12weeks. I know, impatient.

I decide to do a little research, ask personal and honest opinions from fellow evo owners who are boosting around what I am(29psi w/Meth). And they would suggest, JDM IX BOV, Tial, APS, Gilfarb Stealth, HKS SSQ(yeah..i know), etc...no FORGE mention for some reason. I did a little more digging and read up on the current good BOV's for the evo.

Forge Evo15 came up good and bad. Bad because of alleged driveability issues. Good because it holds boost like a crack head holds a pipe. I drive an evo and not a Lexus family sedan, I can handle rough.

Fast forward to today. Receive my unit take out Greddy Type S, install Forge Evo15. Right away notice idle is better. Pull off in first, car feels much better shifting and cruising than it did with the Greddy unit. I make my way to a private closed off road to do a couple logs to see if my 24psi@7000rpm can be maintained or beat.

Time for a quick log. 2nd, 3rd.... Wow ...car is pulling so hard!!! Feels much better. I played with the on and off throttle to see what the other guys claimed they experienced. It is not bad at all. Yes it flutters a little, but you have to go out of your way to do it. I made sure to take Scotts advice from another thread and swap out the blue spring and use the Red +1/2 washers. I used only 1 washer. Just to make sure that I covered all bases, I jumped on the higway. Car drives fine in all cruising gears. I'm happy.

SUMMARY
Pros:
Holds boost extremely well
No obnoxious whistle or blow off sounds
Looks good under the hood(stealth)

Cons:
Flutters under extreme part throttle
If you're into the high pitched whistling, this is not the unit for you.
Swapping springs is fun...my poor thumbs

See attached photo of following 3rd gear run. Car went from 24psi@7000 to 25psi@7200rpm.

mods: Stock turbo, 9.8hs, stock cams, meth, forge unos@29psi, licp, fmic, tbe, intake,walbro.

FORGE EVO15: @ 29psi to 25psi after redline)

GReddy Type S @ 28psi to 23.8 after redline

Last edited by Evoryder; Dec 14, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah at first it took a little getting used to, but modulating on and off throttle on the highway is really the trickiest thing;

fyi, I have the red spring and all washers in there, holds boost strong ALL day long. . .
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
added a 2 month old GReddy Type S log for comparison
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

I dont mean to really jump off topic but do you guys know if the Tial Bov has the same issues with the part throttle flutter???? I have a Turbosmart that just was more or less givin to me to replace the stock, it holds boost fine, but reacts slow and obvioulsy part throttle is a little rough.

later
DJ
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

hmmmmm............... guess not
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
brp
Evolving Member

buddy, the reason nobody answered your question is because not only your question is off topic since this thread is about the forge, but also because the tial dv is not in the market yet so nobody has it, or had a chance to try it yet.
there is multipage thread somewhere here about the new tial, maybe somebody in there can help you better