Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Car and Driver Supertuner shootout competitors

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMBRETT
What makes you think we are not giving our all for this competition? We just finsihed 5th overall and won our class in One Lap of America where we were the fastest 1/4 mile car with an easy launch. We were also consistently in the top 3-5 places at every road course as well. What better car to compete in this gruelling Car and Driver event. The event is a complete circuit at Michigan Speedway beginning with a 0-60mph ,0-100mph, 1/4 mile run, then straight into an infield road course of around 1 minute, then back out onto the banking where the car must accelerate up to 150mph before slamming on the brakes back to 0. The total elapsed time is recorded and the best overall time is used for scoring as well as your printed 0-60,0-100 and 1/4 mile times. Your driver must have his A game on as a good 1/4 mile run with a poor infield road course won't get it done.

What I think Shiv was saying was that the run from 100-150mph is a hard event to win when you are up against an Enzo or a twin turbo Viper. That is being realistic, not defeatist. I think we have a great shot at winning our sedan class and placing in the top 4 overall if the car does as well as we hope. Unfortunately aerodynamics, gearing and horsepower will thwart our top speed run where the 800 horsepower cars with low c.d and better gearing will pass us.

Shiv has invested a lot of his time, energy and money in making our car competitive for this event and it would be nice if the whole Al vs Shiv crap can stay out of this thread for once. We are competing in Car and Driver and we hope to do the Evo community proud next month. I can't wait to see the fantastic cars from the other tuners at this event. Hopefully, like at One Lap, we will surprise some of the big dogs with our 4 banger.
Thats great can u post some of the times shiv got from that one lap?
Old May 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

Best of Luck. But I say Shiv should challenge those other supercars to an event in the Evo's native element-- a rally course complete with dirt and tarmac roads. I would love to see a twin turbo Viper get airborne!!!!!!
Old May 23, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pesto360

Here is the web site John so you can take a look at how we did on the road courses and 1/4 mile.

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Here is a smaple of the first track day at Heartland Park. Paul Gerrard is our shoe and a damn fantastic one at that. we are lucky to have him for the Car and Driver competition as well as he knows the car intimately.

1 49 Mitsubishi Evo MidPri Sed 5:03.183 410
Paul Gerrard,
2 25 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 SSGT1 BB 5:10.751 405
Dan Corcoran, Kyle Corcoran
3 4 Porsche 996 TT SSGT1 BB 5:10.887 400
Mark DaVia, Drew Wikstrom
4 1 Dodge Ram 1500 S U V 5:13.026 395
Ronald Adee, patrick adee
5 3 Porsche 911 GT3 SSGT1 BB 5:13.292 390
David Murry, Royal Ford
Old May 23, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spicytuna
Best of Luck. But I say Shiv should challenge those other supercars to an event in the Evo's native element-- a rally course complete with dirt and tarmac roads. I would love to see a twin turbo Viper get airborne!!!!!!
Or watchinga 650000 enzo going through a waterhole....
Old May 23, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

good stuff!
Old May 23, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a not-yet-completed racing diary if you want more of an idea of what we went up against.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/prelude2.htm

Shiv
Old May 23, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

shiv,

NOT FLAMING YOU but im disappointed in you...you have a shot here to show the world the ultimate potential of these cars...There has been enough time for you to plan and learn the evos...so your last excuse cannot apply anymore...and youre bringing your "C" game...not that your car isnt awesome...but come on....this is C&D not some local showdown with a bunch of friends....why not bring the most radical version of this evo available? This is the second time u brought a dull knife to a gun fight...these cars have ALOT of potential...why not take a 10 second car that can carve corners....they are out there....seems for some odd reason you arent interested in showing the true potential...
As others have informed you John, the car currently puts down nearly 550whp Dynojet hp in full tilt boogie mode (c16, 30psi of boost). However, rules prohibit us from using race gas. So we will be at a distinct disadvantage to the boys running lots of clyinders and extra liters. So expect to see a 450whp EVO go up against a few 600-800whp exotics. That's the situation on the power side of the equation. Not good. But certainly understandable. Without the time to swap in a 6.0L V-12 engine, we don't expect to compete in the hp war. Don't confuse this competition with SCC's ultimate street car. It's an another league.

The handling/braking side of the story should be good. The car is quite well sorted and certainly better suited for this test than just about any other EVO in america. We have put a LOT of time into suspension tuning, brakes and LSD differential set up. This was not a trivial task since the EVO isn't a well-sorted road racer right out of the box. Especially when you double the hp to the wheels and start spinning tires here and there.

As for driving, we're not pulling any punches. Paul is willing to help out again. If you remember, he drove the Autothority 996tt a couple years ago at the Tuner Shootout and is certainly capable of pushing our car to 10/10ths and keeping it there for the whole run.

So to say that we are bringing our "C" game to the competition is a little unfair. But if you know of a more capable EVO entry, let us know and we'll pass on the info to the C&D guys

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; May 23, 2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Shiv -
Having read a bunch of these C&D articles in past years, I recall that attrition played a big part in Supercar contests of the past. Don't listen to these guys who want you to "really come out swinging". Come out with a reliable setup like the One Lap car, and wait for the others to drop like flies. Go get 'em, Shiv.
Rob
Old May 23, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
As others have informed you John, the car currently puts down nearly 550whp Dynojet hp in full tilt boogie mode (c16, 30psi of boost). However, rules prohibit us from using race gas. So we will be at a distinct disadvantage to the boys running lots of clyinders and extra liters. So expect to see a 450whp EVO go up against a few 600-800whp exotics. That's the situation on the power side of the equation. Not good. But certainly understandable. Without the time to swap in a 6.0L V-12 engine, we don't expect to compete in the hp war.

The handling/braking side of the story should be good. The car is quite well sorted and certainly better suited for this test than just about any other EVO in america. We have put a LOT of time into suspension tuning, brakes and LSD differential set up. This was not a trivial task since the EVO isn't a well-sorted road racer right out of the box. Especially when you double the hp to the wheels and start spinning tires here and there.

As for driving, we're not pulling any punches. Paul is willing to help out again. If you remember, he drove the Autothority 996tt a couple years ago at the Tuner Shootout and is certainly capable of pushing our car to 10/10ths and keeping it there for the whole run.

So to say that we are bringing our "C" game to the competition is a little unfair. But if you know of a more capable EVO entry, let us know and we'll pass on the info to the C&D guys

Shiv
How about alcohol injection?...when i made those previous comments I ignorantly assumed u were going in with a moderately modified car. I was wrong and I apologize...I dont know of any car that compares actually...good luck and kick some ***....I cant wait for the results ...
Old May 23, 2004, 12:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris in HB
First of all I am not a Dynoflash anything. If you want to call me anything call me an RMR nutswinger... Second, the Sparco Evo presented in SCC (and the build of which I've followed carefully) is a very balanced car. Third, you should chill out a little. I just came back to this post to note that I read in another thread that Shiv's Stage 2 includes a 2.3L stroker kit. I was about to rescind my previous comment. Finally, if you read carefully, I noted that Shiv (and anyone else) should disregard my comment about running a hotter Evo if the Stage 2 proved to be potent. You cause more problems than you solve with this stuff. I pulled out of the Shiv/Al issue a while ago... I just want to see an Evo smoke some big dollar cars.

Good luck with your issues,

Chris

If you think I was talking about you at any point in my request, you need to check yourself about why you're being so defensive. You claimed in an earlier thread that you were "out of this debate" regarding Vishnu/Dynoflash. I believed you. My request was directed at Pesto, who has since apologized and said he didn't know about the One Lap car, and GottaGoFaster, whose first post started out catty and useless. If GottaGoFaster truly meant no malice, than I apologize to him. Perhaps if you read through the first page of the thread again, you might be able to see where I was coming from.

Point is, this event with C&D is going to be pretty awesome! I'd prefer to see this thread not get sidetracked with BS.

Seth
Old May 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Shiv,

Why no race gas? Seems to put the foirced induction cars at a disadvantage. I guess they want daily driver supercars?
Old May 23, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Shiv,

Why no race gas? Seems to put the foirced induction cars at a disadvantage. I guess they want daily driver supercars?
Yep.. if it's like last time, the editors will even drive the cars to the gas station and fill it up themselves. The cars are also impounded overnight to keep everything on the up and up. They take this competition very seriously and have the resources to pull it off.

shiv
Old May 23, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

ok ok... let's all take a deep breathe and relax

group hug!

shiv
Old May 23, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yo... anyway I can come watch this shootout??? Or is it top-secret C&D location
Old May 23, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not an expert my any means, my personal tuning experience was something along the lines of getting out the timing light, advance the timing a bit, try to lean out the carb etc.

So maybe I'm missing something here, but, I've talked to a few different vendors doing ECU reprogramming and they all seem like good people who love cars / tuning.

As far as reprogramming goes. (again, from what little I understand)
Rem the 2.5s ECU turbo spool-down (setup a MBC or EBC). Throw on a wideband, do a few pulls, add timing where you can, lean out the A/F . A few more pulls, and so on. Really how much difference can there be unless you are going to a standalone setup?

I think they are all great guys, who offer a great service.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Supertuner shootout competitors