Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Brand New Chicago Dyno Day thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand New Chicago Dyno Day thread!

Dyno Day, Chicago! - 7/31/2004

The final list is up and we start at 8:00 AM sharp! Please figure about 1 hour per car and be there an hour early - some cars will go very quickly. If you're not there when it's your turn we'll skip you and until we can fit you in again.

It looks like the schedule will be really tight, so we'll need to keep things moving.

Please also remeber there will be a $100 dyno fee per car being charged by the Porsch Exchange. If you car takes longer than one hour on the dyno you may be asked to pay a bit more.

Contact info for the shop is:
The Porsche Exchange
2300 Skokie Valley Road
Highland Park, IL 60035
Phone: 1-847-266-7000
Fax: 1-847-266-7710
(Dyno Jet)

The dyno will be pretty booked, but Shiv should still be able to do some $195 Cannonball flashes for drive-ups. I'm sure there will be some down time while cars are being moved on and off the dyno.

Car order will roughly follow the list below; we have a couple of people juggling other commitments.

1) EV0lut10n_8 - Custom tune (XEDE)
2) gashero - XFlash challenge - NEW - XFlash + Custom Tune
3) Doug Axelrod - NEW - Stage Zero Signature with Xede-Flash
4) Erioshi - Custom tune (XEDE+XEDE-Flash)
5) Ludikraut - Custom Tune (XEDE)
6) Freedom - Custom Tune (XEDE)
7) Lithe - Custom Tune (XFlash) - NEW - XFlash
8) Stockfornow... - Custom Tune (XEDE) - NEW - XEDE-Flash (?)
9) mhgsx - Custom Tune (XEDE) on top of existing DynoFlash - tenative
10) KevinB - Custom tune (XEDE+XEDE-Flash)

Pre-Tech your car!
Because we will be trying to get through so many cars on Saturday, there won't be time to fix pre-existing problems with cars. Please be sure your car is running correctly and trouble free before we put it on the dyno.

Non-Stock Intakes
If you are using an aftermarket intake, you may want to revert to the stock airbox. If you are running an intake plan on being tuned towards the end of the day. If it takes extra time to work around your intake you may be asked to pay for the additional dyno time.

Last edited by erioshi; Jul 30, 2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 26, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Alright ..

I will have a stage 1 and custom tune already, but it will have been from CO, so I will definitely sign up for a Chicago dynoday to have my car re-tuned. This will also allow me to get a feel for how well all the new parts are working and holding up.
Old May 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome!!!

Put me down for a custom XFlash tune.

Hopefully I'll have a turbo-back and cam gears installed by the dyno day...but I'm not sure yet. At the very least I'll get a custom XFlash dyno tune.

Great work erioshi! Thanks for listening, Vishnu!
Old May 26, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in if I can get the purchase installed. Now stock, looking toward Stage Zero Signature with Xede-Flash. Surely a garage with dyno could do the installation in real time or the day before, eh?
Doug Axelrod
Cincinnati, OH
Old May 26, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Doug, isn't Buschur in OH? I wonder if they'd install a Stage 0 Sig for you... Granted, he'd probably try his best to sell you on his exhaust, but it might be worth a PM. Otherwise perhaps get the exhaust installed at a muffler shop and see if Shiv and Co. will install your Xede along with the Xede Flash on the Dyno day...

l8r)
Old May 26, 2004, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Wait, so are you saying its going to be $200 for a custom tune (I already have an Xede) and another charge for the dyno rental too? Any clue how much the Dyno rental would cost?
Old May 26, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doug Axelrod
I'm in if I can get the purchase installed. Now stock, looking toward Stage Zero Signature with Xede-Flash. Surely a garage with dyno could do the installation in real time or the day before, eh?
Doug Axelrod
Cincinnati, OH
The odds are good that the shop could do the install, but we don't know which shop we will be using yet. Installing XEDEs and re-flashes is quick and could be done by dyno day participants.

My concerns about trying to do other kinds of installs on that day is scheduling. If we had several people all needing non-XEDE or reflash installs and dyno time things might get "complex" later in the day; I'd hate to see an idle dyno and/or someone miss their slot. Cams and cam gears should definitely be done ahead of time, exhausts would depend on the shop's schedule.

Once we have the shop picked out I will post contact info so light install work can be scheduled with them.

Originally Posted by Jev3gs
Wait, so are you saying its going to be $200 for a custom tune (I already have an Xede) and another charge for the dyno rental too? Any clue how much the Dyno rental would cost?
If I remember things right from when Freedom tried to put an event like this together last year, the dyno rental added about $100 per car. That's just a guess, though and once I talk with the shop we will have better info. The least expensive route will probably be to "rent" the dyno and one tech for one day and divide the cost between us.

Originally Posted by lithe
Awesome!!!

Put me down for a custom XFlash tune.

Hopefully I'll have a turbo-back and cam gears installed by the dyno day...but I'm not sure yet. At the very least I'll get a custom XFlash dyno tune.

Great work erioshi! Thanks for listening, Vishnu!
lithe, do you already have an XFLash or would this be a new purchase?

Last edited by erioshi; May 26, 2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

erioshi
Very helpful, I suppose I could get the cat-back done here and bring the XEDE to Chicago for installation? What think? I'll contact Vishnu about availability of these items, as delays could break the timing for me doing this in Chicago.

Ludikraut:
Yes, I looked at Buschur (and Works), but think Vishnu is a better product for the longer term given my needs. I can't see driving to Buschur and having them put in Vishnu products. I think dividing up the work between exhaust installed here and electronics there (no cams/cam gears this time) might work.

Jev3gs:
Yes, I sold my '94 GT3000VR4 when it started breaking things and the Evo was the only AWD sportscar (well, other than a C4 Carrera) that I could find as an every day driver. Great fun and now want to upgrade!! (other car is a Superformance Cobra--2400lbs and 417hp at the rear wheels--technology at the other end of the spectrum from the Evo and huge grins a the track)

Cheers,
Doug in Cincinnati
Old May 27, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

I would be in for a tune 100% for sure, very likely XedeFlash, and possibly an upgrade to stage 1, I am at stage 0+ now.

Another thread mentioned GRD in Naperville, IL, they have an AWD dyno, not sure of the brand.
Old May 27, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Erioshi,

My XFlash would be a new purchase...I'm assuming Shiv could do it right on the dyno? If not, I should probably send my ECU to Vishnu now? Help me out on this...

As I said before, I'm still debating if I can afford an exhaust and cam gears, but this doesn't have much to do with still needing an XFlash on the day of...
Old May 27, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, Shiv will do the flash right there on the dyno.... the top end is a lot more tunable with the cam gears installed, if you are wanting a custom tune it will be much better with the cam gears...my 2c
Old May 27, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice on the cam gears!

I would like to get them...driving this past weekend and passing cars on a single lane road I was wishing for more top-end punch...I just need mo money

A friend of mine teaches shop and did my coilover install on my old Golf...would an exhaust and cam gears be out of his league? I'm thinking no...having his help would save me a lot of money on install costs.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I currently have an xede (subzero). I would be interested in a custom tune if we get this going. Sign me up!!

Last edited by EV0lut10n_8; Jun 22, 2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old May 27, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lithe
Thanks for the advice on the cam gears!

I would like to get them...driving this past weekend and passing cars on a single lane road I was wishing for more top-end punch...I just need mo money

A friend of mine teaches shop and did my coilover install on my old Golf...would an exhaust and cam gears be out of his league? I'm thinking no...having his help would save me a lot of money on install costs.
The exhaust is a walk in the park...
Cam gears however are a little more involved, you/your friend will need the special tool to take tension off the belt....If you do have them installed by a shop make sure the red dots on the new gears are lined up with the marks on the cam cover
Old May 27, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

No Mustang dyno? What is wrong with them?

Quick Reply: Brand New Chicago Dyno Day thread!