Notices

HID Problems..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Problems..

Okay, i've searched all day and i already couldn't find a solution so here it goes.
Today i installed my HID's, but i am having troubles with the DRL i think, whenever i turn my lights off, the car tries to turn DRL's on and then the lights start flickering like crazy like there are surges of power going on and off. I have tried the fuse box but with no luck, if anyone knows how to disable DRL on these canadian lancers please don't hesitate to post...also my hids are aimed really really high....do i adjust it with a 10mm socket? How low can it go? any help is appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

what kit do u have?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

i have a plug and play kit 6000k from taiwan
www.techtop.com.tw
Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

you need to replace the front ecu(etacs) with a usdm green top ecu. if you can locate one, the swap takes 2 seconds. i did it even though i dont have hids yet, just because i hate drl's
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

is it a law in canada that all cars have to have them or something? just wondering why Canadien lancer have them and US lancers dont.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Kits wont work with DRLs. You are going to fry something if you dont bypass the DRL's
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ralliart329
is it a law in canada that all cars have to have them or something? just wondering why Canadien lancer have them and US lancers dont.
Yes, it is required on all mortor vehicles after a certain year. Just not sure of what year it was that tehy started requiring it, but it has been a law up here for a while now.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

do a search on the headlight aiming thing....yes its a 10mm and very simple...i did it on my evo after i dropped it...just do the search
Old Jul 2, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

To aim the lights you can also use a really long flat head screwdriver that's what I had to do when I got my HID kit. I am in canada as well and have the same problem with the DRL. At the moment I just run them on and keep it in the on position until I bypass it because if you have them flicker that is really bad for the ballast. There are a few threads discussing this in the "how to" section. Once I cut the DRL I will procede with my retrofit. For more info on hids http://www.hidplanet.com very helpful information.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chengstar
Okay, i've searched all day and i already couldn't find a solution so here it goes.
Today i installed my HID's, but i am having troubles with the DRL i think, whenever i turn my lights off, the car tries to turn DRL's on and then the lights start flickering like crazy like there are surges of power going on and off. I have tried the fuse box but with no luck, if anyone knows how to disable DRL on these canadian lancers please don't hesitate to post...also my hids are aimed really really high....do i adjust it with a 10mm socket? How low can it go? any help is appreciated.

the easyest fix is to run a direct 12v wire from the "key on" source from the fuse box this way you will have them come on when then key is turned to the on position. Since our DRL system run's a little lower than 12V, that is why the light's flash, they need a min of 12.5V to run correctly.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

i had the same problem.. but i actually made my car look better... i made the HID's on HIGH beam.. which leaves me to turn on my foglights without my HID's on... so basically it looks like the audi's ..