Notices

Launching solved Look what i found!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys - I don't think many of you realize whats happening here.
Four things to ponder / consider / remember:
1.Turbo charged factory cars don't launch well - turbo lag causes a delay in the true potential of the HP.

2.Overcoming Turbo-lag can be done with a manual transmission. Build the RPM up, create more boost, dump the clutch and put down all kinetic energy to the wheels. - This is OK on a built bottom end with a heavy duty clutch that can handle all the potential energy the turbo is now creating that is about to become kinetic energy.

3.Our boost is created on a 3D map. It takes into consideration 3 factors, not just RPM and vacuum, but also Load Demands - the sensors tell the ECU that the car is stationary thus the load is nearly non-existent, so the boost is almost non-existent. (unless you retune the ECU to create boost at lower load requirement)

4.AWD - unless you upgraded the drive-shafts, axles, and differential clutch packs, launching an RA from a dead stop is ridiculous.

+++the transmissions in our RA's are a thing of finely engineered German beauty, not a clunky ol'400R with half a dozen cast iron/steel moving parts. They are designed to control 3 differentials on an AWD drive-train.

Old school, race-ready, lightened AWD DSMs (Eclipse GSX, Galant VR4, 3KGT VR4) producing more power with less complicated control systems with less turbo lag Still break drive-train parts when trying to jump the line with all the wheels moving. And these guys use carbonfiber shafts and ceramic clutches. These guys know not to try and "Launch" the AWDs.

Automatic transmissions can compete respectfully in all forms of bracket racing, where consistency is key to attaining good scores. But trying to jump off the line at an intersection is just dumb.

Auto tranny. AWD. factory controlled turbo. = not a good combination to Launch.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Our trans isnt a true auto though.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

I would be bored with my car if I would never launch it. It‘s insanely fast from the line when you do it properly compared to most rival cars in the same price range.
As for the clutch. We know the riscs but the transm feels very strong.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by LRA_Joe
Guys - I don't think many of you realize whats happening here.
Four things to ponder / consider / remember:
1.Turbo charged factory cars don't launch well - turbo lag causes a delay in the true potential of the HP.

2.Overcoming Turbo-lag can be done with a manual transmission. Build the RPM up, create more boost, dump the clutch and put down all kinetic energy to the wheels. - This is OK on a built bottom end with a heavy duty clutch that can handle all the potential energy the turbo is now creating that is about to become kinetic energy.

3.Our boost is created on a 3D map. It takes into consideration 3 factors, not just RPM and vacuum, but also Load Demands - the sensors tell the ECU that the car is stationary thus the load is nearly non-existent, so the boost is almost non-existent. (unless you retune the ECU to create boost at lower load requirement)

4.AWD - unless you upgraded the drive-shafts, axles, and differential clutch packs, launching an RA from a dead stop is ridiculous.

+++the transmissions in our RA's are a thing of finely engineered German beauty, not a clunky ol'400R with half a dozen cast iron/steel moving parts. They are designed to control 3 differentials on an AWD drive-train.

Old school, race-ready, lightened AWD DSMs (Eclipse GSX, Galant VR4, 3KGT VR4) producing more power with less complicated control systems with less turbo lag Still break drive-train parts when trying to jump the line with all the wheels moving. And these guys use carbonfiber shafts and ceramic clutches. These guys know not to try and "Launch" the AWDs.

Automatic transmissions can compete respectfully in all forms of bracket racing, where consistency is key to attaining good scores. But trying to jump off the line at an intersection is just dumb.

Auto tranny. AWD. factory controlled turbo. = not a good combination to Launch.

Thanks for the input Joe, we all know, well most of us know that doing half the stuff we do isn't great for the car but we still do it cause its fun. I didn't buy this car as something that I would own for 10 years. Im going to beat the #$% out of it and then buy an evo when it breaks. Pretty straight forward really.

Makes me understand more about whats really going on with the car. Thanks for the info!!
Old May 14, 2011, 07:59 AM

"4.AWD - unless you upgraded the drive-shafts, axles, and differential clutch packs, launching an RA from a dead stop is ridiculous. "

Sorry Joe, but I beg to differ. I followed the DSM chronicle of getting into the 10's and remember numerous people breaking AWD components. There are a lot of Evo's in the 10s (and some in the 9s and 8s) and I haven't heard of the same issue. In fact these days launching w/ AWD is considered an advantage.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:51 AM

I have over 300 launches at the drag strip with my car no breakage and no problem.running 12second since 2010 and will be in 11 second in a couple months, i have no problem getting off the line,you just have to get used to the car, unless your trying to run low 9 second , axles,driveshaft, and clutch packs are not needed,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6s6r...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsY2qur3gQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agB_TbrjHdk

both cars in video on stock rear diff and axles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lklzb...eature=related

Last edited by Rahtid; May 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

aww I miss SpeedWorld