Notices

How to: Upper/Lower IC pipes & EvoX Intercooler

Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurtleRA
Well just finished installing the LICP, and yes a bit of a challenge, however I got all 3 bolt holes to line up, which I thought would not happen. As for connecting to the BOV, I had the full bov tubing from an evo x that the guy also gave to me when I bought it. Well I took that tubing and cut in in half and used the end that had the s or z form to it. This worked perfect and did not have to use a piece of pipe. So if anyone is buying a licp, try to get one with the evo x bov tubing. Plus it looks completely OEM, which is also nice.
I thought about doing that, but the cost offset of buying a used BPV tube from a X compared to a $3 pipe from Home Depot is what prevented me from doing so. As long as the piping is thick and strong enough, and you have it tightened down well, you won't have any problems.

But that's not a bad idea for anyone doing this in the future, good work!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Called around town and found a guy who does CNC and he cut me a tube. nice guy too.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooo you NEED the 6 inch pipe IF you want to put the stock snorkel on right? Cuz i have a cai, and i dont mind that the bpv is all crooked. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pepsi_merch
Sooo you NEED the 6 inch pipe IF you want to put the stock snorkel on right? Cuz i have a cai, and i dont mind that the bpv is all crooked. Thanks in advance
It won't look pretty but if it saves you money and you don't need the snorkel, go for it.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If any one who did the swap and not need anymore the short zigzag plastic pipe that connects the licp to BOV pipe would consider selling it I would really appriciate.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by BravoZero
It won't look pretty but if it saves you money and you don't need the snorkel, go for it.
Thanks homie, the 2 or 3 dollars im saving isnt at the top of my reasons list, what really is is the fitment and making sure it wont blow off under pressure etc.... Maybe ill do the radiator hose like someone said. Just take the bpv to get the correct measurement (diameter) and correct length (6 inches right?) autozone sells these radiator hoses right? Or where can i get it?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pepsi_merch
Thanks homie, the 2 or 3 dollars im saving isnt at the top of my reasons list, what really is is the fitment and making sure it wont blow off under pressure etc.... Maybe ill do the radiator hose like someone said. Just take the bpv to get the correct measurement (diameter) and correct length (6 inches right?) autozone sells these radiator hoses right? Or where can i get it?
Unless you're hitting into the 30+ psi range, as long as its nice and snug, the hoses won't blow off.

The radiator hose idea will work great if you can find one and trim it down to size.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
HELP HELP

I'm installing the Ultimate Racing LICP up to an Evo X style FMIC right now and have run into a little snag...

The bend in the LICP is hitting the front bar of the car body. You can see where this would occur by looking at the dimple that is moulded into the black plastic RA stock LICP pictured above. That dimple obviously avoids this problem but for those of you that have said the UR LICP fits perfectly, how did you get around this?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Griffin5
HELP HELP

I'm installing the Ultimate Racing LICP up to an Evo X style FMIC right now and have run into a little snag...

The bend in the LICP is hitting the front bar of the car body. You can see where this would occur by looking at the dimple that is moulded into the black plastic RA stock LICP pictured above. That dimple obviously avoids this problem but for those of you that have said the UR LICP fits perfectly, how did you get around this?
Did you order the RA-specific or Evo-specific LICP?

Readjust some stuff, it will fit.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BravoZero
Did you order the RA-specific or Evo-specific LICP?

Readjust some stuff, it will fit.
Hi BravoZero, it's definitely the RA specific LICP kit.

The pipe is on there, its just rubbing against the front bar which is not ideal. My local shop is doing the install as they're doing a lot of parts at the same time. I have to trust his advice on the fitment issue. Just wondering if any one else has experienced the same thing and how they over came it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

The OEM pipe from the X fits perfectly with plenty of clearance, so it might be a defective part or the shop doesn't know what they're doing.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

I'll ask them to test fit a stock Evo X LICP and see if there's a difference. Thanks for the feedback
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Krimsin
thanks! yea the battery issue is temporary till I order the AMS Intake and Small Battery Kit. I'll be moving to Georgia in December and looking to get the car tuned properly down there. thanks again for this write up!

Why order a smaller battery? Just get the optima red top for your specific lancer. That's what I did and everything fits perfectly. I took off that stupid intake snorkel. Such a waste. Didn't even do anything for my SRI.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Griffin5
Hi BravoZero, it's definitely the RA specific LICP kit.

The pipe is on there, its just rubbing against the front bar which is not ideal. My local shop is doing the install as they're doing a lot of parts at the same time. I have to trust his advice on the fitment issue. Just wondering if any one else has experienced the same thing and how they over came it.
Yes, mine did exactly this. I was faced with two options:

(1) Remove the extra bar that was in the way. Not a great option, but most of the pics I've seen of peoples' installs are missing this bar. It's apparently an NVH-reducing item.

(2) Getting out my precision tool (hammer) and revising the design of the LICP. Whacketty whack whack. Add the same "dimple" to the Evo X LICP that is moulded into the RA pipe.

I chose option (2). Whacketty whack!

Rich
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Upper/Lower IC pipes & EvoX Intercooler