Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Why you need to do an EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XSilverJ
Only if you screw up the ECU part of getting inspected and get sent to a MAC station
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...refer-mac.html

This thread has some good info on what we went through in MA. Maybe they eased up a bit since. We where all heavily modded on EDM V7 in 2011-12 when suddenly that happened... and we pretty much all got to know the MAC folks.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XSilverJ
False.. I've never had an inspector look for any of that on any car. Only if you screw up the ECU part of getting inspected and get sent to a MAC station after a few attempts will you need it there.
Isnt the EGR something that is looked for thought the obd-2 port during the inspection? I know for my car i have the force inspection path for the rear o2 sensor for my car and have had no issues with MAC. But im not sure how it works with the EGR and the sensor for inspections.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9mr
Isnt the EGR something that is looked for thought the obd-2 port during the inspection? I know for my car i have the force inspection path for the rear o2 sensor for my car and have had no issues with MAC. But im not sure how it works with the EGR and the sensor for inspections.
He is sort of right in that if you have the periphery bits set "correctly" it should pass the regular test OBD2 at a service station. However we all went from passing (forced) to "randomly selected" for MAC evaluation and once there, they will actually log EGR duty cycle. I'm guessing he probably didn't have a modified 8-9 in 2011 or got just lucky as we didn't even know what to look out for.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
FWIW I was referred over the the MAC center a couple years ago and it wasnt due to the force pass but rather that they were keeping logs of what ROM ID I had and it had changed through the years.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order placed. Looking forward to ditching the EGR.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Perhaps this was already covered, but if I have already removed the EGR system, would this sometimes cause a burning oil smell from my exhaust? Or occasionally burning oil?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Perhaps this was already covered, but if I have already removed the EGR system, would this sometimes cause a burning oil smell from my exhaust? Or occasionally burning oil?
Not that I have encountered. I would start looking for oil leaks.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:21 AM

is the cel it would throw purely emissions related? looking to do this but don't have a way to turn off the cel. Would leaving the cel on untill i can turn it off affect performance or results?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

The CEL will be for insufficient EGR flow. It shouldnt affect performance if the car is tuned right to start with. Been a long time since I tried it though so I cant say 100%.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:41 AM

Gotcha thanks, anyone possibly chime in that has done this without being able to turn off cel?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 03:43 PM

didnt know it made that much of a difference egr delete it is
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iiEVO
Gotcha thanks, anyone possibly chime in that has done this without being able to turn off cel?
If you cant retune the car or it wasnt taken care of originally in your tune, it will throw a CEL.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My first EGR block off plate was an aluminum can trimmed to act as a gasket (GHETTO). I finally just welded the EGR ports on the manifold when it was off the car. 25 bucks to not deal with the BS is worth it to me .
Old Dec 8, 2014, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

A reason we thought of recently to consider an EGR delete stems from design of flow for the system. All of the exhaust flows right at the idle motor. Much like the DSMs that are known for killing idle motors, the Evos are starting to do it as well. This is in part because the EGR is pointed right at it. It also puts a lot of carbon in the throttle body and can cause sticking issues.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:13 PM

I just picked up a ported intake mani and it came with an EGR block off plate since I'm on SD will I need to update or retune anything on my ECU?

Quick Reply: Why you need to do an EGR delete