Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Why you need to do an EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It will need a tune, otherwise you will get a CEL for the EGR delete.
CEL isn't something I'm to worried about. Just don't want the car to go into limp mode or something from the vacuum hoses being removed and capped.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 04:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I installed a short route uicp and after 200 miles car threw a cel for egr insufficent flow. Is it possible I blew off a vacuum line or perhaps the valve went? It's an 03 with 127k, mostly stock/stock boost, just basic bolt-ons. It run/pulls a lot harder with the new piping which makes me believe it's just simply making more power.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:53 AM

I found out why my car got a egr related cel, the vacuum hose blew off of course!

Looks like I won't be tapping and plugging the egr port in the head until I have a reason to remove the IM. Using just a block off plate seems pointless without the plug.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The block off plate keeps it from recirculating 1400* air into the intake. It still heats #1 a little but its better than the alternatives. As the Idle motors start to fail on cars you will see what has been known on DSMs for a long time, a blow torch at electronics doesnt work. The line on the top of the TB should be looped and the codes turned off in the ECU. If that wasnt done then its not a surprise you have a code.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The block off plate keeps it from recirculating 1400* air into the intake. It still heats #1 a little but its better than the alternatives. As the Idle motors start to fail on cars you will see what has been known on DSMs for a long time, a blow torch at electronics doesnt work. The line on the top of the TB should be looped and the codes turned off in the ECU. If that wasnt done then its not a surprise you have a code.
But doesn't the egr valve stay close at WOT? Installing a block off plate is simple, getting a hold of a local independent tuner is like trying to reach The President. If I knew how to edit my ECU I'd do it myself. When you mean loop the vacuum line, which hose are you referring to?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.
But doesn't the egr valve stay close at WOT? Installing a block off plate is simple, getting a hold of a local independent tuner is like trying to reach The President. If I knew how to edit my ECU I'd do it myself. When you mean loop the vacuum line, which hose are you referring to?
He said as they get older they fail. So they fail to stay closed and bleed hot air into your intake charge, which is definitely not a good thing for power.

It is one of the best mods for sure you can do to your car. Getting rid of all the cluster of vac lines that usually causes boost leaks is a bonus. It just simplifies the car more, so you have less chance of things to leak.

You can browse the forum how to adjust your rom its not hard really.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
He said as they get older they fail. So they fail to stay closed and bleed hot air into your intake charge, which is definitely not a good thing for power.

It is one of the best mods for sure you can do to your car. Getting rid of all the cluster of vac lines that usually causes boost leaks is a bonus. It just simplifies the car more, so you have less chance of things to leak.

You can browse the forum how to adjust your rom its not hard really.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. So a block off plate would block an open egr valve from leaking into my intake manifold, and plugging the head would decrease heat conduction in runner #1?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. So a block off plate would block an open egr valve from leaking into my intake manifold, and plugging the head would decrease heat conduction in runner #1?
correct on the blocking it off and keeping heat out.

The block off on the head is right next to cyl #4 (furtherest away from the timing belt).