Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 02:18 PM
ST
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
ST, the stock radiator is 10lbs, and my PWR radiator is 12lbs. Not weight savings, but the stock weight is probably useful.

I also have the Megan catless exhaust with restonated test pipe at 40.2lbs, and the catless BR tbe at 30.2lbs including the hangers, nuts/bolts, and slip-fit clamps.

Thanks Warrtalon - I'll add this to my spreadsheet and hope to publish this at a site for everyone at a later point as i get more data.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Stock front caliper with partially used (75% remaining) DS2500 pads: 10.4 lbs
Stock front rotor (2500 miles and 2 track days): 21.6 lbs

RacingBrake 4piston caliper with Evo braket: 7.6lbs
RacingBrake 332x28mm front rotors: 14.6lbs

I'll edit and add rear rotor weights this weekend.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 08:52 PM
ST
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by redvolution
Stock front caliper with partially used (75% remaining) DS2500 pads: 10.4 lbs
Stock front rotor (2500 miles and 2 track days): 21.6 lbs

RacingBrake 4piston caliper with Evo braket: 7.6lbs
RacingBrake 332x28mm front rotors: 14.6lbs

I'll edit and add rear rotor weights this weekend.
Thanks redvolution - i assume this is for quoting for both fronts, not each? lots of good weight savings there!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ST
Thanks redvolution - i assume this is for quoting for both fronts, not each? lots of good weight savings there!
No - all my numbers are for each front corner. Here's a pic and description of each front corner:
http://norcalevo.net/gallery/display...album=11&pos=4

I haven't compared the weight of the Ohlins vs. stock struts yet. I was going to mention the lightweight lugnuts I bought but I don't have the exact numbers for them. They were cheap - ~$25 from Pepboys.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:13 PM
ST
Evolving Member

very nice....one of the things I've been contemplating is the removal of the evap system...but I need to get the wiring/hose diagram to see what i need to plug up. Anyone have a guide available (none on EVOM search)?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't let the wife drive around with me any more!!!! (saves 480lbs) jk this is a GREAT thread. I was going to do some of this myself, with a "hole" drill bit deal. I will keep you posted also.

Name:  15datr9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  81.3 KB
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I saw in a recent magazine, about "holing" out certain areas in the car. (door panels) and such. if you "shed" weight by removing stuff, you gain it back with a "cage" if you are going that route. anyone know how much the "average" 6 pt cage weighs? I have been considering some "diet" weight reduction for a while now, and this thread will sure make things easier for us wanting to do so.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Drilling holes will reduce weight but it is a very long and tedious process which really doesnt add up to that much weight. If you do start drilling holes I would shove a screw driver in each hole and bend the metal slightly to make it stiffer.

About removing the Evap stuff:

There is a large black box under the car kinda half in the bumper. Remove the box, relays and solenoids and leave all the lines open to the atmosphere. Very simple to do.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Drilling holes will reduce weight but it is a very long and tedious process which really doesnt add up to that much weight. If you do start drilling holes I would shove a screw driver in each hole and bend the metal slightly to make it stiffer.

There is a large black box under the car kinda half in the bumper. Remove the box, relays and solenoids and leave all the lines open to the atmosphere. Very simple to do.
Thanks for the screwdriver tip. it makes sence!
Old Aug 3, 2006, 09:31 PM
ST
Evolving Member

Thanks Trina - I will do this come this weekend. I presume the CEL will trigger off with this?

BTW> ANy updated pix on your car? I've been following your post a while back but didn't see any updates.

On weight reduction in general: 1% lost in weight is ~ equivalent to 1% power gained!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

I presume the CEL will come on but I dont know. I run an EMS. I had 12 or so reasons why the CEL was on before the EMS... one of two of them Im sure was the Evap stuff
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Here are some pics of the car from relatively recently:

Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I changed the weight of the door beams in my earlier post... they weigh ALOT more than I thought they would. They are very easy to remove also with no bodywork needed and you can keep all your door panels, window motors, locks, etc... I didnt get a chance to actually weigh the crap but just from the rear two doors I promise you I got at least 25lbs out.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
ST
Evolving Member

I changed the weight of the door beams in my earlier post... they weigh ALOT more than I thought they would. They are very easy to remove also with no bodywork needed and you can keep all your door panels, window motors, locks, etc... I didnt get a chance to actually weigh the crap but just from the rear two doors I promise you I got at least 25lbs out.
wow nice...care to do a quick write up of the process?

btw> how much weight savings also if u go with slim fal radiator fan vs. stock?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone know how much the ARC radiator and/or intercooler weigh? (besides costing an arm and a leg)

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!