Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
The sound deadening is glued to the floor in many places... mainly under the feet and under the rear passenger seat. The whole firewall is also covered by a bunch of it as well. The engine side of the firewall also has some lighterweight stuff but its still weight.
i got all the floor stuff up and under the seats as well. i want to get it all out from behind the dashbord as well but im a little nervice on removing the dash. i cant really find a good how too on it eather...

on the engine side dose the motor need to be out or is it simply cut and pull..
Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i also removed the intake braket and egr. but im thinking of putting the egr back on because no one has any good info on deleting it. there are to hoses that go to the egr and i dont know what to do with them... cap the off are plum them togeather. is there more to remove or is it just that egr???
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
i got all the floor stuff up and under the seats as well. i want to get it all out from behind the dashbord as well but im a little nervice on removing the dash. i cant really find a good how too on it eather...

on the engine side dose the motor need to be out or is it simply cut and pull..

Removing the dash is very simple my freind , Take off the steering wheel all your dash trim and start to unbolt under the dash by the fuse panel and on the sides of the dash there is acess panels , Removing your center console and front seats are a must also
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:18 AM

i got an RS im pretty much gutted. suckas!! lol
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am in the process of removing sound deadening and need some advice - A majority came off with dry ice. Some problem areas will not come off even with application of dry ice for more than an hour or so.

The problem areas are as follows:

- Rear wheel well humps near the corners where the seat back rests
- driver and passenger footwells in the very front (seems as though there is joint compound or something here its adhering to - very well)

Also, I am dropping the sunroof and need advise - I am thinking of three choices which are as follows:

1) RS/MR/AMS carbon roof swap (most expensive)
2) Some sort of carbon block-off plate
3) Welding up thin gauge steel plate (cheapest)

Anyone know of a solution they have used? Carbontrix was supposed to help with the plate as in 2), but the guy is having surgery and is out for a month.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I was able to get the rear wheel hump area's off with dry ice, it was tuff though because of the curve the dry ice does not hit the whole area.

Keep trying with dry ice and a chisel.

The footwell area is tuff, I think it is glued on, I just used dry ice, a chisel and went to town, I could not get all of it but keep trying.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

dudical - did you damage the paint/finish? Thats my concern...I want to clean it out after I am all done and hope it looks 99% normal!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I did not damage the paint but I did leave a bit of material still on the floor.

I have my carpet back in though so I didn't really care.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Dang - you are weight reduction ***** like me - Surprised you put carpet back in it!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, time to provide history and some updates on my interior strip:

We are doing a radical gutterectomy procedure on the 04 Evo 8 SSL since it will be a track ***** if anything

Why the SSL - I am doing this as the car is pretty rough and I got it for a great price. It has lived 3 years in gravel etc, it is no showcar and even has some rust already.

The main idea is to build a trackwhore and every little bit counts. I am doing this since its a challenge and simply because I can. So, spare me the flaming.

Here are items removed thus far from rear to front:

- Trunk panelling, jack and spare tire.
- Rear wiper, rear parcel shelf with rubber mat underneath, rear belts, speakers and grilles
- Antenna setup from roof
- Rear seats and C pillars
- Rear door panels, power window setup, left door lock motor in as its hard to get to without removing the lock setup, handles etc. Removed goofy black boxes in the doors as well.
- B pillars and front seatbelts
- Front seats, center console and surrounding plastic
- All the carpet, sound deadening
- Removed dash, removed sound deadening from firewall (major PITA and requires full removal of main support beam, blower and heater core.
- Eliminating airbag and SRS brain
- headliner and all plastic up top, sunroof being eliminated (probably AMS carbon roof in its place)
- Front door panels and all plastic, door locks, windows, IC sprayer, mirrors etc. Removed goofy black boxes from the door.

But, I am leaving heater core, ABS and AC in for now. I know it won't have airbags for street use and is not safe. It will have a cage and harnesses. My hoe was purchased to tow this thing around, so it will not see much of the streets, just cruises for some show-off etc...

Here is the hardest part which is being the biggest challenge - Modifying the main interior harness. This thing weighs a lot, I tell you. My friend and I stared at it for a while and then slowly started snipping away after double-checking. The ECU is going to be crazy mad when everything goes back together.

I will post pics of some of the steps - we get too busy getting to work and forget to take pics.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the update, the firewall sound deadening was a real pain in the *** but it is pretty heavy.

And idea how much you were able to remove from the back door with the power windows and locks?

I already have the door cards off in the back but I'm wondering what else I can get out of them.

Also, other than the airbag and the sound deadening, did you pull anything else out from under the dash?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Dang - you are weight reduction ***** like me - Surprised you put carpet back in it!
I put the carpet back on as my goal with the car is to be able to remove as much weight at possible without showing it.

I have placed thin black felt over where the back seats would be to hide that. At night with tinted windows it looks like a full weight car, helps for street racing,
Old Oct 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Thanks for the update, the firewall sound deadening was a real pain in the *** but it is pretty heavy.

And idea how much you were able to remove from the back door with the power windows and locks?

I already have the door cards off in the back but I'm wondering what else I can get out of them.

Also, other than the airbag and the sound deadening, did you pull anything else out from under the dash?
hey brotha - I can tell you what they weigh - not much - the Evo glass is silly light, I feel. Its so thin....

By door cards - do you mean panels?

Well, I pulled the whole harness and giving it a diet as well. What a PITA. Plus, these changes are irreversible and not advisable in general. I don't give a **** attitude that I have right now seems to allowe me to justify my actions, but I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon.

This week, I plan on giving the rear harnesses a nip/tuck as well. Remove rear wiper harness, stereo harness etc - I want to clean up how the car looks. I would love to hide these wires so all one sees is a gutted car, that will look ****! But, oh well, not much of a choice unless I add more wire and lenghten which is really adding weight...LOL Again, tis a trackwhore!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

yea, door panels = door cards

I guess I should leave the window motor in if they don't weigh much as it is nice to be able to open and close them, lol

Wire harness is not something I am really willing to do.

You should cut off the excess length of all the bolts in the car, or at least some of them. I have heard if you do that you can save over 100lbs - its a ton of work but one of the last things you can do.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ST
I've been following Trina's gutting exercise for a bit now via search. With her and other endeavor's, I've been making a spreadsheet detailing stock weights and aftermarket (or delete) weights comparitively. Here is a snipet of it:

Stock Stock Weight Aftrmkt Comp Aftrmkt Comp Weight Weight Difference
Front Bumper Support 13.4 Delete 0 13.4
Rear Bumper Support 17.1 Delete 0 17.1
Front Headlight (each) 7 0 7
OEM Hood 20.2 CF Hood 20.2
OEM Trunk (No wing) 22.5 CF Trunk 12 10.5
Rear Wing 7 Delete 0 7
Rear Wiper Assembly 5 Delete 0 5
Driver Side Airbag 5 Delete 0 5
Passenger Side Airbag 6.1 Delete 0 6.1

VIII Enkei (each) 20.5 SSR Competitions 15.5 5
IX Enkei (each) 20.17 SSR Competitions 15.5 4.67
MR BBS (each) 17.74 SSR Competitions 15.5 2.24

Trunk Wood 4.62 Delete 4.62
Trunk Carpet 1.98 Delete 1.98
Spare Tire 31.46 Delete 31.46
Jack and tools 6.38 Delete 6.38
Full Wiper Fluid Tank 8.36 8.36
Trunk Trim 9 Delete 9

Front and Rear Carpet 6.6 Delete 32.78
Floor Mats 5 Delete 0 5
Rear Seat (bottom) 9.5 9.5
Rear Seat (top) 14.5 14.5
Front Seat (each) 32.78 Sparco Evo 26 6.78

Stock Muffler 19 Aftermarket 12 7
Stock Pipe To Muffler 16.5 Aftermarket 15 1.5
Stock Downpipe 10.5 Aftermarket 6 4.5
Stock Cat 12.5 Aftermarket 7 5.5
Rear Speakers 8 8
Front Strut (each) 21.8 Coilover 14 7.8
Rear Strut (each) 11.3 Coilover 11 0.3
Stock Battery 37 Mini Battery Kit 17 20

Excellent doings. helps me pick and choose what is worth keeping in my car now

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!