Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 2 metal brackets, one under the steering wheel and the other one to left of that, the I removed this weekend. I believe they are what is referred to as the "steering comlumn metal insert" although they weigh more than a pound which is what i commonly see there weigh listed as so I am not sure on this. Together your talkin 3lbs ish of weight.

If you are looking for random metal to grind off there is a about a 10in long 2in wide piece of metal coming off the the dash beam that doesnt connect to anything. The only pupose it could have for the LHD cars as a brace for the dash in extreme flex conditions but it has about a half inch gap from touching anything so I think the only war the dash plastic would cave in that much is in a wreck.

Oh and I like the sig Peteypab2133, its very... covert.

Last edited by oneguy; Oct 1, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Any guess on the weight of the extra metal coming off the dash beam?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oneguy
There are 2 metal brackets, one under the steering wheel and the other one to left of that, the I removed this weekend. I believe they are what is referred to as the "steering comlumn metal insert" although they weigh more than a pound which is what i commonly see there weigh listed as so I am not sure on this. Together your talkin 3lbs ish of weight.

If you are looking for random metal to grind off there is a about a 10in long 2in wide piece of metal coming off the the dash beam that doesnt connect to anything. The only pupose it could have for the LHD cars as a brace for the dash in extreme flex conditions but it has about a half inch gap from touching anything so I think the only war the dash plastic would cave in that much is in a wreck.

Oh and I like the sig Peteypab2133, its very... covert.
Fred - I took the steering plastic and the metal insert out already. Thanks.

Can you post pics or images of location of the the left piece you removed and the dash beam, pretty please? I will cut these suckas off....Thanks!

KC
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

The first 3 pics are the piece I think you want pics off. This is the piece on the passenger side of the car that is welded in.

The ones after that are the bolted in pieces from the driver side of the car that you probably already removed.

Did they ever send you the right plug?
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-welded-piece-1-1.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-welded-piece-2-2.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-welded-piece-3-3.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-driverside-extras-1-1.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-driversside-extras-2-2.jpg  

Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

one more
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-driverside-extras-3-3.jpg  
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I took all those pieces out as well... couple pounds
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

cool, thanks for the pic of that welded item on the passenger side.

I would guess it weighs less than a lb.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
yea, door panels = door cards

I guess I should leave the window motor in if they don't weigh much as it is nice to be able to open and close them, lol

Wire harness is not something I am really willing to do.

You should cut off the excess length of all the bolts in the car, or at least some of them. I have heard if you do that you can save over 100lbs - its a ton of work but one of the last things you can do.
If you end up taking the window motors out let me know. I couldn't figure out how to get the rears out... It looks like you either cut the cables or take the entire assembly out... which leaves you with nothing to hold the window up (that i could see)

I need to get my dash apart to see what I can take out of it still.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I really doubt I will do the rear windows, but if I do ill post it.

Did you take out that welded on piece, how heavy was it?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

While this topic seems to be active with lots of weigh reduction fans like me it will be good to get some more info,

Have you guys taken off any brackets under the car? Or have you removed weight from any other places that are not obvious and talked about all the times.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

No, I should have finished taking the dash of though to get to the firewall sound deadening. I got bored Saturday and started taking it apart and then put it back together. I had all of the lower half unbolted but the upper half was still attached in some spots. How is the dash pad attached? By the a pillars?

Yeah I agree The piece probably doesn't weigh much but if you happen to have a grinder handy you can take it off without too much hassle.

If you want to remove something else then you could take out the wheel well linings. For a DD car the sound of rocks hitting may drive you mad though.

Last edited by oneguy; Oct 1, 2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i also removed the intake braket and egr. but im thinking of putting the egr back on because no one has any good info on deleting it. there are to hoses that go to the egr and i dont know what to do with them... cap the off are plum them togeather. is there more to remove or is it just that egr???
You can remove the egr and block it off no problem... other than a CEL on the stock ecu. There are a few different pieces on the back side of the intake mani that can go... some hoses and what not. Not a whole lot of weight but every little bit helps

This is from a few months ago lol ^^
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

While this topic seems to be active with lots of weigh reduction fans like me it will be good to get some more info,

Have you guys taken off any brackets under the car? Or have you removed weight from any other places that are not obvious and talked about all the times.
I bet there is a few lbs in the front wipers? Not so sure I want to delete those yet lol
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I bet there is a few lbs in the front wipers? Not so sure I want to delete those yet lol

Ok no more posting for me til another 25-50lbs is off the car!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

EGR and intake bracket and EVAP Solenoid are already off for me. You can PATCH the ECU to disable the CEL.

I was thinking about wheel well linings, but I would guess that all 4 might weigh 6 lbs or so. I feel like it would really make a mess though, with rocks and dirt getting all over. As far as rocks hitting noise, I already get a ton of that with no sound insulation, I can't imagine it being worse, but I'm sure it could be, lol.

Front wipers - My friend has done that, he just uses rain-X, I just don't think that would really work for me as I drive back and forth to school 300 miles and would really need the wipers in case of snow or heavy rain. Or even driving at slow speeds when rain x doesn't help.

I was thinking of removing the rubber hose running to the wiper nozzles as I have already removed the tank, but again that might weigh 1-2 lbs and if I ever want to put it back in, will probably be a big pain.

I think I will hit that welded bracket with grinder though.

What do you guys all weigh, track weight (tiny bit of gas and you and helmet in the car) I'm around 3050

Last edited by dudical26; Oct 1, 2007 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!