Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI: Electrical issues came back due to water (headlights started flickering again.) I had to come back to the dealer for another minor issue so I let my technician know I was coming back for electrical/water issues as well.

This time my technician decided to check the wiring harness in the fender well. I wish I had taken a picture however there is a plastic black rectangular box that covers part of the wiring harness inside the fender well. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever but we noticed all sorts of sand, water, and junk that gets trapped in there and we were assuming as water begins to build up inside during heavy rain it's possible some of that water begins to trickle/flow down the wiring harness into the kick panel on the floor.

We took off the box, applied some sealant to the exterior side of the grommet and so far I have not had any reoccurring issues even after a heavy rain here.
Old May 14, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by roadace
FYI: Electrical issues came back due to water (headlights started flickering again.) I had to come back to the dealer for another minor issue so I let my technician know I was coming back for electrical/water issues as well.

This time my technician decided to check the wiring harness in the fender well. I wish I had taken a picture however there is a plastic black rectangular box that covers part of the wiring harness inside the fender well. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever but we noticed all sorts of sand, water, and junk that gets trapped in there and we were assuming as water begins to build up inside during heavy rain it's possible some of that water begins to trickle/flow down the wiring harness into the kick panel on the floor.

We took off the box, applied some sealant to the exterior side of the grommet and so far I have not had any reoccurring issues even after a heavy rain here.

Yes water runs down harness through grommet in chassis and seats itself into the connectors behind kick panel

Hard solder those wires and the problem can never return EVER. Simple just a lil time consuming and tedious
Old May 23, 2014, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have no brake lights or turn signals. Side markers and plate lights don't work either. I have:
-hardwired the connectors at the kick panel
-replaced front Ecu & Etacs Ecu
-replaced the bulbs
-checked for power at fusebox (good)
-checked for power at brake switch (good)
-No power at rear brake lights (except when tai lights are on)
-all fuses have been triple checked
-traced harness in fender liner back and found one corroded violet wire which got my fog lights/high beams/wipers working properly

PLEASE if anyone has any idea what to do or check next Id appreciate it. I am almost ready to give up it's so frustrating.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Also- The horn was going on and staying on at random until I pulled the relay, now it doesn't work at all.
Old May 24, 2014, 01:02 PM

^^^ If your wires were anything like mine, you may need to replace longer sections of wire. I found corrosion almost 6" away from the connectors in the kick panel. I also had problems tracing wires because the connector was upside down from the factory, are you sure you traced the wires by color and number? Or just color or just number?
Old May 24, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

I appreciate your response, and whatta ya know...I had 3 corroded/broken wires in the harness coming from the clip about 30" back. Ended up being by the strut in the inner fender area. All is well now, except my horn doesn't work, and my SRS light is on
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:21 PM

please can someone do a color match writeup on this problem conector?

I am mot shure the mitsubishi workshop did match up the wires right when they soldered the wires for me 😕(buypased the conector) could someone please tell me the color match in order(male-female) or post a picture of both sides of the problem conector please??
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:50 PM

does anyone have to color pinout for the kick panel? the previous owner attempted this and there are multiple wires disconnected. I noticed that the wires that are connected don't go to the same color.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:27 AM

Welp, my turn.

got an 09, driver side rear tail light (not brake, nighttime running light) likes to die out on me sometimes. Fuses good, connections seem good, bulbs new. Help a brotha out
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:27 AM

Add another one to the list of many.

Been DDing the car for the last 4 years, living in Michigan, so snow and salt are the norm.

I've had no problems up until a couple of weeks ago, driving home the wipers turned on by themselves and wouldn't shut off. Pulled the fuse so I could diagnose, took the plastics off the driver side and didn't see much of anything. Once I pulled the harnesses out however, the corrosion was apparent. Nothing horrible, but enough to short the wipers. Cleaned it as best I could, and the problem went away.

Washed the car a few days after, and immediately the problem arose again, I noticed water in the wiring harnesses too. Took off the driver side fender liner, ripped out that crappy plastic box, cleaned all the wires up and sealed it with electrical tape. Cleaned out the harnesses again and put some dielectric grease in there. So far so good, we'll see if it lasts however. If need be I'll cut and solder the wires, too cold to do so right now though, solder doesn't really like to flow in 10-15 degree weather
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by greencow
If need be I'll cut and solder the wires, too cold to do so right now though, solder doesn't really like to flow in 10-15 degree weather
Shouldn't be an issue if you're using a proper flux and tinning the wires and then soldering them together
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had the same gremlin problem and fixed it with the hard wiring solution,is there a any news on a recall for this??
Old Jan 27, 2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Shouldn't be an issue if you're using a proper flux and tinning the wires and then soldering them together
I should restate, my hands don't like working in 10-15 degree weather :P
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
LOL, I didn't even think about that part of it...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 06EvoIXmr07
Ive had the same gremlin problem and fixed it with the hard wiring solution,is there a any news on a recall for this??
Mitsubishi has never issued one but I'm sure that cars have shown up at dealers with the issue.

I probably have done 15 cars in the NJ/NY/PA areas at this point

If I ever buy another CT9A it would be one of the first "mods" I did.

PITA but all cars have to have something I guess

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix