Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lolscotttt
the problem i'm having is that i don't know which wire goes to which. i couldn't find a wire diagram that showed which colored wire or wires go to which. i'm apparently missing one wire because my front blinkers do not work at all.
You can dowload the manuals here, they also include the diagrams of each plug (numbered).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lolscotttt
the problem i'm having is that i don't know which wire goes to which. i couldn't find a wire diagram that showed which colored wire or wires go to which. i'm apparently missing one wire because my front blinkers do not work at all.
You can download the manual like ^^^Patric said, but honestly it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out which wires connect bcuz they connect the same way they do in the "Connector"
You are best off by cutting every single wire in those 3 connectors 1 by 1 & either soldering them or using good heat shrinking waterproof connectors and eliminate those OEM connectors all together. This will save you many headaches, trust me!

Also, as EvoGuy mentioned above:

Originally Posted by Evoguy!123
What i did was cut off the connector and solder the wires directly. Had this problem last year, now i got zero issues, but put silicon around the grommet its behind the fender, to avoid water going in.
This is the source of all the electrical problems. Water seeps through then travels down the wires and pools up where those 3 connectors are mounted.

Hope you figure it out!

Last edited by WelDun1; Mar 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WelDun1:
gsrboi80 (Mar 15, 2019), patric78 (Feb 21, 2021)
Old Nov 26, 2019, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bumping this, very useful information here. Any chance this corrosion could cause issues connecting to the obd port to read codes/flash the ecu?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I wanted to confirm whether or not the wires for all 4 connectors can be hard soldered? Ideally, I want to remove the junction box/bracket just to make things look a little cleaner and give myself more room to work with.
I popped the two smaller connectors up top off the bracket and am going to tape them up out of the way.

I'm about to be tackling this in the next couple of days on my 03. Car was from PA/NJ originally, but these issues (SRS light, intermittent starting issues, intercooler sprayer non functional) started cropping up when I moved to AZ.
My friends here in the desert had never seen anything like this. Probably due to the distinct lack of rain here

Also wanted to say thank you for this write up.

Last edited by Paul Antosy-Ott; Jan 12, 2021 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added symptoms
Old Feb 3, 2021, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Antosy-Ott
Hey, I wanted to confirm whether or not the wires for all 4 connectors can be hard soldered? Ideally, I want to remove the junction box/bracket just to make things look a little cleaner and give myself more room to work with.
I popped the two smaller connectors up top off the bracket and am going to tape them up out of the way.

I'm about to be tackling this in the next couple of days on my 03. Car was from PA/NJ originally, but these issues (SRS light, intermittent starting issues, intercooler sprayer non functional) started cropping up when I moved to AZ.
My friends here in the desert had never seen anything like this. Probably due to the distinct lack of rain here

Also wanted to say thank you for this write up.
Yes sir you can absolutely, only way to fix it correctly with no chance of reoccurring issues IMO. The SRS light will need to be reset with a unit that can talk to the SRS, ABS, etc... Not just a simple OBDII scanner
Old Feb 3, 2021, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Yes sir you can absolutely, only way to fix it correctly with no chance of reoccurring issues IMO. The SRS light will need to be reset with a unit that can talk to the SRS, ABS, etc... Not just a simple OBDII scanner

Thank you so much for the response. I went ahead and cut/ soldered all the wires in C-129 (25 pin connector) and C-134 (11 pin connector).

C-129 is all good, however, I have an extra wire from C-134.

On the black side of the connector there is a light green wire and a green wire, but on the white side there is a light green, green, and a Red/White wire that doesn’t seem to connect to anything.

I’ve been combing (the copy of the manual I have doesn’t have an index) through the wiring diagrams I downloaded from EvoScan, but I can not find any mention of this Red/White wire and what it connects to since there is nothing obvious. Right now I have the wire capped off and not connected to anything. I tried grounding the wire and nothing happened (not smart, I know)

How do you have this wire soldered on your car?

Also, the Mitsubishi dealership tried telling me the SRS light would go off on its own with no intervention if the issue was fixed. They had very little credibility with me before, but even less now 😂

I’m unsure of what this wire does. Tried tracing back to source, but it quickly runs to somewhere inaccessible.

Wires going to Pin 1 and 5 on black side

On the white side, there was a wire going in to Pin 4 that completely corroded and fell out of the connector