Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greencow
Add another one to the list of many.

Been DDing the car for the last 4 years, living in Michigan, so snow and salt are the norm.

I've had no problems up until a couple of weeks ago, driving home the wipers turned on by themselves and wouldn't shut off. Pulled the fuse so I could diagnose, took the plastics off the driver side and didn't see much of anything. Once I pulled the harnesses out however, the corrosion was apparent. Nothing horrible, but enough to short the wipers. Cleaned it as best I could, and the problem went away.

Washed the car a few days after, and immediately the problem arose again, I noticed water in the wiring harnesses too. Took off the driver side fender liner, ripped out that crappy plastic box, cleaned all the wires up and sealed it with electrical tape. Cleaned out the harnesses again and put some dielectric grease in there. So far so good, we'll see if it lasts however. If need be I'll cut and solder the wires, too cold to do so right now though, solder doesn't really like to flow in 10-15 degree weather
Just to update, its been a few weeks now, had a heavy snow storm (14+ inches in a day), drove up to sno*drift, and power washed the car a couple of times since doing the cheap fix. Still solid, no issues yet, I'll report back if/when it happens again.

Just to reiterate, mine wasn't as corroded as some of the pictures I've seen here, the only issue I had was wipers (front/back) going crazy and non-responsive. Cleaning the contacts out, dieletric grease - and the most important thing - ripping out that plastic box and sealing the wiring harness up with electrical tape worked for me, so far.

What I still don't get, and I'm trying to trace down the root cause, is why mine didn't have water ingress through that plastic box above the fender liner for the last 4 years, driven through rain/snow, and washed religiously. I suspect a weather seal around the hood/cowl area is getting old, and letting to much water flow down past the fender liner and into that box.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I tried to tackle this job on my 06 SE over this weekend. It took me 2 days and I did the best that I could. I had corrosion from water breaching into the grommet in the fender like everyone else so I began to take apart the kick panel and fender as well as the dash since I was changing out the dash harness anyway. After putting everything back together the car wouldn't start. I tried jumping it and even putting a bigger battery in and still nothing. It wont even turn over. Its as if I dont have the clutch pressed in.

There was 2 wires I couldn't figure out where they went in the wiring bundle that runs outside the fender. A red with white stripe wire and a blue with orange stripe wire. I also noticed that there were a couple wires that were a 2 in 1 connection. I believe it was a pair of green with yellow stripe wires and the other was a red with yellow stripe wires. Does anyone know what these wires control? Oh and another strange thing. The previous owner installed a VCD T-case so my Tarmac/Gravel/Snow options do not work and I have never seen the green lights come on until after doing this job. All 3 lights stay on. Wtf? Please help.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Would this potentially cause the AC control lights to not come on? Mine work intermittently, mostly don't work now. Blower motor still works, all speeds work but the defrost, AC and recirc lights will only flicker on every once in a while. It has all the symptoms of a loose wire or one that is grounding out but I don't know where to begin, the wiring schematic isn't the most clear either. All the fuses are good too.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Driver side mirror stops working

Any ideas if this can cause the driver side mirror to stop working?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
has anyone had a symptom of a burnt out turn signal bulb only the bulb is fine and fixed it by doing this rewire job?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks gsrboi80! I wanted to share and add this to your thread for reference.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...de-sensor.html
The following users liked this post:
gsrboi80 (Dec 23, 2023)
Old May 6, 2016, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any way to clean the connector so it will work? Cutting wires in a $20k car sounds ruthless and nerve-breaking haha

EDIT: My connector was way too corroded to simply clean, so I added picture of what the damage looked like, and added pictures of my solution in the post below.

Name:  20160506_175648_zpsbxgtaaaq.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  291.4 KB
Name:  20160506_175604_zpszuvhrdg5.jpg
Size:  490.2 KB
Name:  20160506_175543_zpsasn6xnwd.jpg
Size:  250.0 KB
Name:  20160506_175514_zpsv8tdyu50.jpg
Size:  382.9 KB

Last edited by dcdirtrider; May 11, 2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old May 11, 2016, 07:53 AM

I ended up going to Harbor Freight and picking up around 60 heat-shrink crimp connectors, along with 40ft of wire, and another 20ft of heat shrink. Instead of cutting the wires off the corroded connector and directly connecting the two ends, I added another 6" of wire between the two. I also added an extra layer of heat shrink over the crimp connections just to ensure a water-tight seal. I added a picture below of the completed product. Do to time limitations, I was only able to get the eight bottom-most wires (within the connector) completed, but that did the trick and my wipers/sprayers work again!

Name:  20160510_195728_zpsdknhapkx.jpg
Size:  537.1 KB
gsrboi80 (Dec 23, 2023)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:32 AM

it sure found my problem
gsrboi80 (Dec 23, 2023)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 03:29 PM

​​​​​​​so what do i do next??
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Once you get the female half of the connector out of the back of the junction block (screwdriver) then connect them externally of the plastic junction block. And snip wire one at a time front/back and solder them together, heat shrink tubing over each solder joint.

It's a bit tedious, but one at a time you'll get there
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Royal Evo
Thanks gsrboi80! I wanted to share and add this to your thread for reference.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...de-sensor.html
Added to OP. Glad it's all fixed up!!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:34 PM

srs

srs light came on but other than that no more issuse exept the SRS light? what do i have to do now?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Take the car to a body shop and have them reset the light. The dealer can also do it however it'll cost you quite a bit more. Think last time someone told me the dealer reset and cleared theirs for the issue it was $100

Generally a Body shop will do it at the fraction of the price.

Nice Work!! Happy to hear it's back running normally.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Take the car to a body shop and have them reset the light. The dealer can also do it however it'll cost you quite a bit more. Think last time someone told me the dealer reset and cleared theirs for the issue it was $100

Generally a Body shop will do it at the fraction of the price.

Nice Work!! Happy to hear it's back running normally.
​​​​​​​thanks alot man if it wasnt for you i would of wasted so much money.
gsrboi80 (Feb 12, 2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix