Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Cant see your pics from work. I know I was able to get the connectors out of the junction block and remove the junction block from the car completely
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well after some thought, Im not comfortable enough to do the cutting / soldering, so I bought some electric cleaner, dielectric grease and am going to clean and all that business, then silicone the crap out of the grommet at the POE for water / moisture. I can cut and solder, but what I dont feel comfortable with at this point is compromising all the wiring in the car just for the sake of 5 or 6 corroded connections. I'll post up the end result and see where it leads me...may end up doing the cutting and soldering in the end...

Last edited by ohEVO18; Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

This may work out for you but just as a heads up as I started cutting and stripping away I did notice that there was corrosion on some of the wires up quite a bit so I ended up stripping back at some wires an inch of insulation before I found no corrosion

Just some FYI.

It's not a hard job to hard solder just time consuming
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i know, I just have this fear of somehow jacking something up elsewhere in the car...I'm going to see how cleaning it does, and if not then I will start hard soldering them together....
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

You wont jack anything else up as long as your careful wire to wire front to back. All of that wiring is dash function. The only thing that some have had happen including me is that the SRS light came on. I had to have a local body shop reset the system so the light would go off.

Dealer wanted way too much. Bodyshop charged me 60
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

well all of the issues have been worked out. simply cleaned all of the connections, save one in which I had to actually wire it...Dash lights are not working (needles etc.) and the headlamp leveling switch, and I think it may be a fuse..I'll deal with it tomorrow though. At least its running and things seem to be functioning properly...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good information here.

I actually have an issue with mine. Picked it up 6/2009 and was driving to indiana for my first track day, it was raining pretty hard, I took a hard right onto an upward incline, and I felt water spalsh on my legs.......(wearing shorts) I was freaked out, but I put my hand under the dash to the right and felt water on top of the white box(don't recall what it is).....

I haven't had a chance to look but i assume a grommet is missing....or there's a bad seal, too .
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Thats a whole other issue. Bad heater core or worse.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

i never once recall any water or dampness in the past, but I have had issues with my compustar for about a year and a half now and am assuming it has been caused by this. It makes me nervous as hell since I know Mits would probably take cash credit or rights to an arm or leg to fix this issue if I cant. It seems like MANY other members have had this same issue, and all been able to fix it, I just hope I can get this dash light and level switch figured out tomorrow. We shall see. Best of luck to you (^^) in finding out what your issue is - water splashing on your leg makes it sound like there is a gaping black hole under there somewhere lmao...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by revvin9k
^^^ Thats a whole other issue. Bad heater core or worse.
You really think so?

If the heater core was bad wouldn't there be some signs like the heat wouldn't come out as hot or something?

As far as I can tell the heat is hot and the A/C is ice chilling cold
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by november
You really think so?

If the heater core was bad wouldn't there be some signs like the heat wouldn't come out as hot or something?

As far as I can tell the heat is hot and the A/C is ice chilling cold

Water to the right of yur feet as you drive is a whole other issue. All our issues are coming from the left side of the drivers feet.

I would have stopped right where the water hit my feet and I would've tracked that down ASAP.

I have many issues though.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:18 PM

Water to the right of yur feet as you drive is a whole other issue. All our issues are coming from the left side of the drivers feet.

I would have stopped right where the water hit my feet and I would've tracked that down ASAP.

I have many issues though.
Right I gotcha but water wasn't at my feet it splashed my leg. The ws just a tad bit of water on top of the white box behind the hvac controls.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by november
Right I gotcha but water wasn't at my feet it splashed my leg. The ws just a tad bit of water on top of the white box behind the hvac controls.

Not sure about you sir, but I would be looking to see how that water got there.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:52 PM

Not sure about you sir, but I would be looking to see how that water got there.
I definitely want to - car's at the shop and i'm going snowboarding after work but hopefully when i get it back I can take a look - other than that the car has been a dream come true :-p.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

is it possible that it was simply some condensation build-up or something of the sort, from the HVAC? I know those they have drains / run-off's somewhere I would have to assume. Maybe it's something clogged or, well I really dont know what I am talking about so I will shut-up lmao

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix