Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohEVO18
is it possible that it was simply some condensation build-up or something of the sort, from the HVAC? I know those they have drains / run-off's somewhere I would have to assume. Maybe it's something clogged or, well I really dont know what I am talking about so I will shut-up lmao
No I think you have a point, that could have just been the issue - I haven't noticed anything since, but I also haven't had any upward right turns since then. I'll be sure to check next time it's raining hard and i'm driving for a long time.

I'm also trying to remember if I had the A/C on at one point - I just can't recall.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your electrical gromet!!!! ASAP

Recently I had a pretty big electrical fault.
It was traced to water entering through a failed gromet in the drivers side fender well above the liner. Do yourself a big favor and seal yours asap!!

Here is a link to the thread on how to fix the gromet and the ensuing electrical problems should you need to!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...lins-rain.html
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
whoa.. pics? i don't leave my car outside very often, but i'd like to see what's happening
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first post! newbie! gauge lights bot working!

Hey yall! i need yer help! I bought a EVO 8 a month and a half ago and have only been able to drive it once!!! dude sold me a hand grenade!! clutch literally BLEW UP! vacum leaks and exhaust leaks...... then my first time drivin it my dash lights wont work! he had some lame covers with fast and furious style lights on the instrument cluster. checked the bulbs..blown. new ones blew instantly. all fuses are good.

anyone able to to a evo rookie out?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Update...

well She's in the garage now...
Same damn thing happened to me today - actually went through 13 #8 20A fuses (same one every time). car would shut off while driving, then if I put a new fuse in it would either 1: blow as soon as I turn the key to "on" without starting, 2: start and run with no problems UNTIL I came to a complete stop, or 3: would start then blow as soon as I touched the throttle.

I spent a good amount of time removing interior pieces and headliner (moon roof needs to be fixed, which yeah, could be causing some of my electrical issues). I am FINALLY getting the connections in the junction block at the drivers left kick panel addressed, BUT this damn fuse blowing I simply cannot see being related. There has to be a short or something is grounding out, right? Here are some things that are concerning me.

I have an aftermarket alarm (compustar) w/ a turbo timer built in as well as auto start. That equals a ****-ton of other wiring and who knows what issues. I have a boost gauge thats wired in with the headlamps, and upon removing it I noticed that the guy who put it in ran a screw directly through one of the wires AND the vacuum line (awesome) but why would that be blowing a fuse? I do notice where the throttle cable goes through the fire-wall, that there is some orange wire (no idea what) that runs awfully damn close to the cable; could this be it? The wire doesnt appear to be scored or burnt, etc.

Here is a run-down of my problems:
-Car "dies" while driving, ALL accessories (lights radio etc) still work; #8 20A fuse blows "engine control
-Dash needles, HVAC, radio lights do not work ONLY once the headlamps are turned "ON"
-Wipers do still come on, on their own from time to time.

I do realize that some of this is a result of the wiring in the junction block, and IS getting addressed, BUT does anyone have a clue as to what could be blowing this fuse and killing the engine while running? I DO also know that the TPS as well as the fuel pump run to this circuit at some point...?

relevant mods, that I can think of, are as follows:
MBC; boost gauge; alarm w/ auto-start and turbo timer; "Trust" guages

Thanks SO MUCH in advance of course
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Still could very well be related to the junction box wiring. Like I said my car would stay running after shutting it off (No not setting the TT). So it very possible that the constant connection/no connection of the wiring in those connectors is blowing your engine control fuse.

My best suggestion is to address everything you are seeing one at a time. Fix the junction block issues, fix the crappy wiring job the previous owner did. get the manual for the alarm that is in your car. Its really not too comlicated to wire an alarm in. you'll see once you start checking everything out.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

wurd...
Got the junction block ripped apart and all connections stripped then hard soldered. Car fired right up...with the horn blaring. I needed a break so a buddy who has been kindda helping is going through everything to see if he can see what that deal is. I am thinking that the dash lights going out may be just a blown fuse or something - going to check the under dash panel and see. I am actually thinking that I am going to end up having the alarm taken out; I did realize too that I have had some minor ongoing issues with it since I got it installed, and since it is wired into the ignition and who knows what else ( shifter by-pass for the auto-start, TT, etc etc) it seems that it would be a good decision to just eliminate that from the equation and go from there.

Well back to the frustrations....

On a good note it is up on stands and I'm doing the brakes tomorrow - should be simple enough lmao
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:18 AM

Electrical Gremlin Fixed!

Here are some pics of how my harness turned out.

At first I had the horn issue but I thought maybe its just a little corrosion, so I just cleaned it and it worked fine. Later when I was driving in snow and my wipers started to go off on its own. So I decided to cut the wires and take out the harness (I know I should of done this at first). I didn't wanna take any risks to solder in a tight space so I just used connectors to connect the wires together and put sealing on each ends of the connectors so water can't travel from the wires and corrode it again.

In my case, it wasn't the firewall thats the bad (it is sealed) but water is traveling from open wires under the fender well to the harness which corroded my dash harness.

Thank you guys!!!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you were able to fix it, and that is some nasty corrosion there. I dont think that mine is "leaking" from the firewall either, but I am going to seal everything with silicone anyways; I think mine may be from the moon-roof, which is now fixed.

un-hooked the alarm system, and low and behold all the dash lights are working again...hmmm
hopefully this leads to the fuse that keeps blowing and the problem is solved...only one way to find out i suppose.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:10 PM

Hope you going to get that fixed.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Looked pretty nasty tmd. And yes corrosion at that connector is always from the harness coming through the inner fender. Glad you got it fixed and sealed up. No worries man you won't have any issues from here on out.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:45 PM

Yeah they are nasty. I thought I smell something burned when the wipers went off on its own while driving in snow.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yea no doubt when mine was acting up I actually saw sparking and smoke from the junction block. Scary ****
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

hey guys, here's a question...

In reference to the plug in the wiring harness (pictured above), does anyone know where I could get an actual diagram showing what each wire controls? After removing and hard soldering all the connections, I am having an issue with the horn. It will NOT shut up for anything. Anyone here know which wire in that connection plug is for the horn?? It would be a huge help

Last edited by ohEVO18; Feb 14, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

anybody??

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix