Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission failure

To Limet and the others keeping track of the transmission work.
I just called MMC and was told that no TSB has been issued for this problem yet.
Although I did not notice the same type of noise that you all mentioned.
But then again I only had the car for less that72 hours. I do want to add in the problems that I had to this site.
BTW my case # 17466714, and VIN # 6797
It is now day 8 that the dealers had my car and still no word on the parts needed. (5th gear)
So in the mean time I trash the free rental.
Old May 30, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spyderturbo
mad,...Mitsubishi does have the noise noted under my VIN when I called a while back. I also have a dealer visit in and have it printed on paper that the noise is normal. I just crossed 2000 miles today and its definitely still there. But it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse thats for sure. Its definitely not any louder...could be a tad quieter also.

It is good to see your sticking your neck out and trying to get the issue put to rest. My only fear in all honestly is.....leaving the car at the dealer and having them start ripping apart my EVO. If a TSB does eventually come out documenting where the noise is coming from and whether or not its fixable or if its normal. Thats what will ultimately impact my decision on wheter of not to take the car back in.

But for now....I'm just gonna wait and see.

But I'm glad your one of the few EVO owners pushing to get this resolved.
I'm very interested in what the outcome of your situation is going to be. I know its gotta be very frustrating for ya.....but hang in there dude.

Thanx for the support man.
I understand your position and I'm not looking forward to them pulling my car apart either.... but I don't think they, , are doing anything to try and sort this out, they just seem to be ignoring it and dissmissing it all together.... that is what really gets me
Old May 30, 2003, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Re: transmission failure

Originally posted by degrootdd
To Limet and the others keeping track of the transmission work.
I just called MMC and was told that no TSB has been issued for this problem yet.
Although I did not notice the same type of noise that you all mentioned.
But then again I only had the car for less that72 hours. I do want to add in the problems that I had to this site.
BTW my case # 17466714, and VIN # 6797
It is now day 8 that the dealers had my car and still no word on the parts needed. (5th gear)
So in the mean time I trash the free rental.
F that man, call mitsu america and explain that the car has been in the shop five times longer than in your possesion and tell them you want them to replace the tranny instead of replacing parts.
Old May 30, 2003, 09:18 PM

Angry transmission failiure

I asked the service dept. about a new tranny, but they said they could not guaranty that a new trans would not have the same problems.
They claim that replacing the correct parts would be a safer bet. Could be BS!
I can only wait and see at this point since I'm in P/Cola FL and the car is in Mobile AL.
To long a drive to argue with them clowns
After I get the car back I will be looking for the 3/4th gear grinding sounds you all have experienced. Hope I donft have anymore crap go wrong with the car.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

How the hell would we know when/if a TSB is issued anyway?? Isn't it up to the individual dealers to contact their customers if a problem is found to get them in to fix it? I wonder if my stealership would call me. Obviously, if there were a TSB issued it would be all over this thread, and we would know about it, but w/o this thread would we ever find out? just a question.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Re: transmission failiure

Originally posted by degrootdd
I asked the service dept. about a new tranny, but they said they could not guaranty that a new trans would not have the same problems.
They claim that replacing the correct parts would be a safer bet. Could be BS!
I can only wait and see at this point since I'm in P/Cola FL and the car is in Mobile AL.
To long a drive to argue with them clowns
After I get the car back I will be looking for the 3/4th gear grinding sounds you all have experienced. Hope I donft have anymore crap go wrong with the car.
You should still call mitsubishi america (1-888-mitsu-2002) when you get to a live person tell them you need to open a case with the vehicles department, explain to them how long you had the car before the problem showed up and how long it has been in the shop. If the syncros were being ground up you probably have some metal in the tranny so make sure that they do a complete rebuild and flush everything out before putting it back together.
Old May 31, 2003, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ricardon
How the hell would we know when/if a TSB is issued anyway?? Isn't it up to the individual dealers to contact their customers if a problem is found to get them in to fix it? I wonder if my stealership would call me. Obviously, if there were a TSB issued it would be all over this thread, and we would know about it, but w/o this thread would we ever find out? just a question.
I don't think we will ever see a tsb on this issue because that would be an admission of a problem and so far the official position has been that there is no problem. So they can't verywell figure out what the problem is when they refuse to accept that there even is one.

But if they did have one it would be on mitsubishi techinfo. Kills me they have a tsb about the apperance of the wing.... but nothing about an issue that a number of new owners have raised....

Last edited by Mad_SB; May 31, 2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 31, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

WHAT??? The appearance of the wing? What's next a tsb on the Recaros fitting too snug?
Old May 31, 2003, 05:15 PM

Re: Re: transmission failiure

Originally posted by mad_VIII

You should still call mitsubishi america (1-888-mitsu-2002) when you get to a live person tell them you need to open a case with the vehicles department, explain to them how long you had the car before the problem showed up and how long it has been in the shop. If the syncros were being ground up you probably have some metal in the tranny so make sure that they do a complete rebuild and flush everything out before putting it back together.
I did call Mitsu USA and logged a complaint and they did open a case on the car. I asked the service guy about metal in the trans and he told me it was clean. But the car has less than 500 miles.
Today I mailed a nice letter to the presedent of the dealership, just to let him know that this has been a "total disappointment"

Still trashing the rental on their dime!!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Okay...so could someone please tell me how we can tell the difference between a "normal" AWD tranny whine on deceleration and a tranny problem? Mine has had a whining noise only on deceleration since about 400 miles....is that okay?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Meeyatch1
Okay...so could someone please tell me how we can tell the difference between a "normal" AWD tranny whine on deceleration and a tranny problem? Mine has had a whining noise only on deceleration since about 400 miles....is that okay?
Well, a whine sounds like a whine.. my decel noise sounds like metal grinding on a low rpm benchgrinder (though obviously not as loud it has the same kinda sound to it as my dads old home made bench grinder grinding some soft metal like aluminum)

Or you could go back several pages and listen to the sound clip I made.

or go to the general section and look at the "Does your evop sound like this" pole I started, i posted a cleaned up version of the mp3 there.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Good news folks... an s2000 guy pointed me to a very similar issue with the s2000 clutch springs tsb-054 can be found here:
www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/92/1/1/

Sounds damn near exactly like the symptoms many of us have. I'm passing this along to the regional rep on monday. To see if he agrees that I may have the same issue.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mad_VIII
Good news folks... an s2000 guy pointed me to a very similar issue with the s2000 clutch springs tsb-054 can be found here:
www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/92/1/1/

Sounds damn near exactly like the symptoms many of us have. I'm passing this along to the regional rep on monday. To see if he agrees that I may have the same issue.
Mad....if your ever in the CT area.

are on me!
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spyderturbo

Mad....if your ever in the CT area.

are on me!
Sweeet! Beer always tasts better when it's free

Got a pm from easyrider (the one that pointed me to the tsb) he mentioned an easy test:

apply a slight amount of pressure to the clutch pedal while the noise is going on (just enough to take some load off the clutch), if the noise stops....... there you have it.

Now, I'm not too inclined to try this on full decel, but I can make mine do it at a no load state as well, just ballanced between no acceleration and no deceleration, so I'm gonna try it on the way home today and see...

O.K. now we are getting somewhere... I tested what easyrider mentioned and sure enough i can make the noise stop completly at any time by applying just a little pressure on the clutch pedal, not enough to disengage the clutch just enough to take some load off of it, and the noise stops completely.

SO we will see what the regional rep says monday.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jun 6, 2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 06:20 PM

Ta Da !
Finally - something I said helped!!!!!!!

Now if we could just get the dam Evo in Canada I could join in on all of the problems!
As I said to mad - it took Honda about a year to realize that the springs in the clutch were causing the noise.
Good luck with

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure