Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

03 evo 8 wont boost past 20psi ????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quick update, I got the hotside changed out. No change in anything..
Did a boost leak test on my dad compressor and it would hold pressure in the line for about a minute starting at 20psi.
Im not sure if maybe my hta71 is just fubar or maybe my boost solenoid crapped again.. There's no apparent damage to it. I have kinked the line going to the boost solenoid from the turbo to see if this changes anything. It should, last time I just unplugged the solenoid to wga line and didn't think about it spewing air out that line on top of all the boost leaks I had at the time probably was why it wouldn't spike boost. We'll see.
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by cerevo
Quick update, I got the hotside changed out. No change in anything..
Did a boost leak test on my dad compressor and it would hold pressure in the line for about a minute starting at 20psi.
Im not sure if maybe my hta71 is just fubar or maybe my boost solenoid crapped again.. There's no apparent damage to it. I have kinked the line going to the boost solenoid from the turbo to see if this changes anything. It should, last time I just unplugged the solenoid to wga line and didn't think about it spewing air out that line on top of all the boost leaks I had at the time probably was why it wouldn't spike boost. We'll see.
Keep me updated. I've done all that I can on my set up for now. Arashi sent me a new wg actuator and I adjusted the rod to be shorter than the original one that came with the turbo. The old wg actuator gives me 26-27 psi towards 6-7k rpms n sometimes shows 29 psi @ redline. The new one only shows me 24-26 psi from 6-7k rpms and holds. Car feels great but i would love he numbers to be more consistent. I traded my bike for a 35r setup so if my current set up isn't up to par, I'll swap them out n retune and pray
Old Apr 6, 2017, 01:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
check the hose or leaks
Old Apr 28, 2017, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce
check the hose or leaks
Wish I had thought of this!!

FP ended up wanting to see my turbo so I sent it back to them, they found it had a standard wheel in the reverse rotation housing and fixed it, threw in a bunch of stuff for free and just backed up everything awesome I've ever heard about them.
Turbo is on the car now and making 25+ psi finally.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
Old May 20, 2017, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put on a 35r turbo kit and got retuned and the car is running a lot better. I didn't change anything else besides the turbo, licp, exhaust mani. Maybe the smaller turbo and high psi was affecting my low rpms. I think my problem may have also been weather too. But I'm not 100% sure on the weather part bec it didn't happen to any other guys that I know.