Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!

Because I am getting my car dynoed this weekend, I wanted to make sure that I covered all bases in order to achieve the best numbers possible. One thing I decided to do tonight was to clean my MAF sensor with some CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner which I got at Pep Boys for like $6 bucks. I figured that the MAF probably collected up some oil residue from my K & N filter which as you can see from the pictures it collected A LOT! Some simple sprays of the CRC fluid and you can see all of the grime that leaked out of the MAF. With a clean MAF loaded back into the car after I had reset my battery, I started the car up and it immediatley revved up to 3,000 RPM really fast and then dropped like it had just been woken up from a deep sleep.

I can definitley feel a better throttle response as well as better drivability of the car. Along with the AMS flash I already had loaded in with my mods, it definitley put a bit more kick into the ride. I would highly recommend purchasing this spray and doing the same procedure every time you change your filter or at least check it out before you get a tune or dyno run.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-crcmaf.jpg   Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-dirty_maf1.jpg   Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-dirty_maf2.jpg   Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-spray_maf.jpg   Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-maf_residue.jpg  

Old Apr 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

good to know info
Old Apr 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

The final product

One shot of the cleaned MAf and one of the MAF combined with my K & N filter. Buschur filter coming up soon!
Attached Thumbnails Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-clean_maf.jpg   Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!-k-n_maf.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'll have to put this into the maintenance rotation. Your cat looks really cool in that 3rd pic.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, right on the dinner table! I love it. Ill have to get some of this stuff.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

damn it had alot of oil residue !!

I justed cleaned mine this weekend, that cleaner works great.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yah thats the one thing i dont like about those performance filters that need Oil...residue. But yah ford guys seem to have the same issues with K&N filters. People just need to go light on the K&N oil.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I am going to do this to my MAF before I get dynoed too.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that thing was dirty! What does the inside of the intake hose/pipe look like?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Damn that thing was greasy lol. Looks great after that stuff.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Cleaned mine this weekend, looked nothing like that guys. You can really feel the difference. My AF reading was a lot more smoothed out.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:08 AM

sorry for the dumb question, but by disconnecting my battery, will it make my flash go away and make it return to stock flash? Cause i'm thinking about cleaning my maf too. thx
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you guys think that's bad, take off your intercooler and look at the inlet side
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Guys, that's not from the KN filter oil...that's from oil blowout. The KN filter oil when absorbed into the material doesn't come out. It's the same as if you spilled some oil on a cotton shirt. Once absorbed--even if you blow air through it--it doesn't go flying out.

The only way it's KN fluid is if people caked on the oil and the element had absorbed it's top capacity. Then of course there will be KN oil flying everywhere. But THEREIN lies the problem. It's operator error most of the time when that occurs.

I'd suggest you get an oil catch can. Should help out. I have the same AF on my car with no oil problems at all--engine or KN. But I do check it periodically to make sure as I'm sure it will eventually as modifications continue.

Speaking of FMIC's--a buddy of mine checked his and it was so dirty he filled the entire thing with gasoline and sloshed it around to clean it! Zoolander re-enactment of course.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Wow... you might want to NOT use all the oil in that K&N recharger kit on your filter.

I couldn't find that MAF cleaner so I used an electronic spray cleaner and it works just as well.

To the newb... you don't need to disconnect your battery to clean the MAF. Just unplug the maf and you are good. Also.. it won't delete your flash.

Quick Reply: Cleaned my MAF Sensor - Great Results!