Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: FP Red or BBK
FP Red
47.89%
BBK
45.16%
Other turbo, please specify
6.95%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: FP Red or BBK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind a slightly slower spoolup hence why I'm probably going to go with the Red. I was thinking about GSC S1's (to keep the stock valvetrain) to replace the Greddy 264's. The Greddy's are more aggressive than the HKS and Brian Crower 272's (im talking about lift, not duration). And yeah, I mean I'd definately be happy with 400 wtq.

As for TTP's Mustang Dyno "reading high" when I go down there this spring I will definately be solving this "mystery". Right after leaving Scott's shop, I will most likely (depending on time) be going either to get dyno'd at another local Orlando Mustang Dyno or Top Speed's Dynojet in Atanta. Then once and for all this "TTP dyno reads high" BS can be put behind us. We're not letting this dyno stuff get into this thread though...please. I went into TTP in August or July (i forget) with a partial tune and left with 60+ whp and 60+ wtq at almost same boost levels (came in at 24psi left at 26psi)

And as for internals go, I believe Ryu hit like 500wtq on stock block, I can't remeber off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to go and check. Also I think TTP's shop car was somewhere around 520wtq on the stock block before he built it.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Last edited by mitsuevo803; Nov 30, 2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: "im talking about lift, not duration"
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at this. Maybe s1's will help with a broader powerband and earlier spool up for the Red. Bigger isn't always better.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sh-racing.html

Last edited by EriCS; Nov 23, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: copied wrong post
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Check out the FP4R cams for the IX; safe with the stock valve springs to 8k RPM. The GSC S1's actually have a very similar lobe profile just slightly less aggressive. If you go the GSC route make sure their redesigned cores are actually better though and not snapping like the old ones.

I have the 4R's and although like what they did to my powerband, I at times do wish I had something slightly less aggressive (like the S1) just to have a little smoother idle and better low-speed drivability.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 23, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Check out the FP4R cams for the IX; safe with the stock valve springs to 8k RPM. The GSC S1's actually have a very similar lobe profile just slightly less aggressive. If you go the GSC route make sure their redesigned cores are actually better though and not snapping like the old ones.

I have the 4R's and although like what they did to my powerband, I at times do wish I had something slightly less aggressive (like the S1) just to have a little smoother idle and better low-speed drivability.
So Fp doesn't suggest using upgraded springs? Might have to consider if so.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka

I've read several stories on EvoM of people having phantom knock issues with FP4R cams.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
So Fp doesn't suggest using upgraded springs? Might have to consider if so.
They're recommended (like with all aftermarket cams), but not required as long as you're not revving beyond 8k.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I've read several stories on EvoM of people having phantom knock issues with FP4R cams.
Cams don't cause knock, the tune causes knock. I guess all I can tell those people is to find a tuner who knows how to properly setup the MIVEC table to take advantage of these cams. I've had no issues with mine nor have I in my friends car with these cams that I street-tuned; they do take a different style MIVEC map that most other cams do though. I think I've posted my MIVEC map elsewhere on this board but I'm more than willing to lend a few pointers to anyone having issues.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 23, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with which ever one you may choose. As far as the good old 450 power threshold it also depends on your cars history with abuse. I feel you on not wanting to go too aggressive. I am at 446hp and 397tq and it is very satisfying. Please post your results.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:26 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
Price wise, the HTA Green is as much as the Red almost....so why not get the Red? And for the stock WGA, you think the one with the BBK will hold 23-25psi at redline?
BBK w/ GM BCS. On the street it will hold 27+psi@7800rpm if I ask it to

Originally Posted by EvoRob22
I would go for the red. I like the quicker spool up and for you goal the red would hold out. Be careful with the stock internals. I would also look into 272 - 280 cams.
Torque is the killer (so says everyone these days) and I've been making 400wtq on a Dyno Dynamics and 450+wtq on a dynojet for the past 6 months w/o issue. See my results in teh dyno section to back that up.

Originally Posted by GHOSTN
is it just me or does ttp mustang dyno seem to read a bit high for the mods listed? have seen other cars they have done and thought similar..
This. Your goals seem lofty for pump gas, you'll really have to push the setup to achieve this on EITHER turbo, especially the torque figures. If your 'Mustang' goals are on TTP's dyno, you can hit it. My car did, but on alky. For pump gas, I think you'll ultimately see similar numbers out of the BBK, HTA Green, and red, all else equal.

If you wanna run high octane and 35+psi, go fp red. If you want arguably the most proven pump gas turbo on the market today (save for the old 50-trim, LOL), look no further than the BBK. Look in the dyno section, the numbers are all there, they made my decision easy. I've backed up those numbers and tons more have been added since (I bought mine in Feb).
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Good luck with which ever one you may choose. As far as the good old 450 power threshold it also depends on your cars history with abuse. I feel you on not wanting to go too aggressive. I am at 446hp and 397tq and it is very satisfying. Please post your results.
lol it's going to be a while or so. i'm using my tax return to do everything, and if that's not enough, i'm going to have to wait until i re-enlist this may. also depends when i deploy. right now the car feels good, TTP is the one who tuned it and im bringing the car down to them again when i get everything installed. i dont want to go TOO conservative, but i certainly would like the tune to be conservative enough to not knock in the 90% humidity 90 degree georgia heat.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
BBK w/ GM BCS. On the street it will hold 27+psi@7800rpm if I ask it to

Torque is the killer (so says everyone these days) and I've been making 400wtq on a Dyno Dynamics and 450+wtq on a dynojet for the past 6 months w/o issue. See my results in teh dyno section to back that up.

This. Your goals seem lofty for pump gas, you'll really have to push the setup to achieve this on EITHER turbo, especially the torque figures. If your 'Mustang' goals are on TTP's dyno, you can hit it. My car did, but on alky. For pump gas, I think you'll ultimately see similar numbers out of the BBK, HTA Green, and red, all else equal.

If you wanna run high octane and 35+psi, go fp red. If you want arguably the most proven pump gas turbo on the market today (save for the old 50-trim, LOL), look no further than the BBK. Look in the dyno section, the numbers are all there, they made my decision easy. I've backed up those numbers and tons more have been added since (I bought mine in Feb).
funny that you said "most proven pump gas turbo" because i heard of the FP Green wayyyy back when it first came out, then the Red came out and i was like i'm getting that. Then a friend was like hey you consider BBK? i was like what the hell is that?

up until recently like a few weeks ago i had never heard of BBK before (which is why i made this poll) and yes mustang dyno numbers are for TTP's dyno.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

morning bump, yes i triple posted....
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my vote is the red, yell have more room for growth when the time comes!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
hey man

I have similar power goals/mods/mod plans as you.. I think the only diff is I don't have UICP. I'm making roughly 370-380whp, and I'm looking for a final goal of around 450whp, probably a little less. I believe our motors are good up to 500whp (at an upper limit) and the weak point are the rod bolts.

I voted BBK, just because I hear really good things about the turbo in terms of the quality, spool, and power it makes. It works great on pump gas 93 (I also plan to run nothing but 93.. no e85, meth anything like that). I have GSC S1's, which are like 264/268 i believe, and stock valve springs, so pretty similar in terms of cams. I probably won't upgrade to S2's. Turbo alone won't get you up to that power level, but I'm thinking of getting the AMS FI intake and some sort of tubular manifold as well, and then retuning etc. That'll probably put me around maybe like 420 to the wheels or so, and I don't plan on doing anything other than that.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody truly knows what the limits of our block is, we can only guess and take an estimate... but some have came to the conclusion that 450wtq is the magic number...

as for the OP, what are your true goals with the car..? Daily driven street terror, drag, road course, auto-x...

good luck on your search...

Last edited by o-townFLA; Apr 17, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: POLL: FP Red or BBK