Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff
Are there any real downsides to this modification? NVH makes sense, but specifically for preformance driving (including drag racing and such). How bad is it in slipping environments (i.e. a couple inches of snow)?
I don't think the 8-plate would cause any problems as long as you're aware that the car will have more of a tendency to power oversteer. It's actually pretty great in the snow, where the additional lockup helps with different levels of side-to-side grip. You do have to be smart about turning under throttle, though. No more mashing the throttle and turning the wheel without thinking like the stock understeer lets you get away with.

NVH was never a problem for me on the 8-plate. You can try different fluids and friction modifiers if you run into issues.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Are there any real downsides to this modification? NVH makes sense, but specifically for preformance driving (including drag racing and such). How bad is it in slipping environments (i.e. a couple inches of snow)?

No downsides. It has quitter operation than when I just restacked the stock clutch plates. Mostly because Jon sets the preload on the clutches, and the backlash on the spider gears to his specs. So the assembly is stronger, and operates more quietly.

For performance driving, I didn't see any downsides. For drag racing my car drove off the line better and had less wheel hop.

Works fine for me in rain, never an issue. Not sure in snow. But if you're driving normal, the diff isn't locking up much. It requires torque input from the driveshaft to apply pressure on the clutches and start the LSD action.

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Well I know that, I have one. I just wasn't sure what was considered standard. How the Max-Lock came without specifying 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

Oh, I'm not sure, I never asked.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I do plenty of gravel and snow driving, I love it. No downsides to the modification. The car behaves normally in daily driving conditions.
If you drive hard in snow and gravel then you will notice the car want to be more playful and sliding becomes more effective and easy to control. Really fun mod.
Here's some footage (not the best quality) to give you an idea of how easy it is to control and rotate

Last edited by IzzyRS; Feb 12, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This is now going to sit at the top of my mods list! Now i know that an ACD flash is considered the cheaper option but I know they have a tendency to cause binding in the rear diff so should i start with this one? I saw in IzzyRS's video the difference since you didnt have to mat the accelerator and understeer until the CD locked up.

Would anyone else say that the oversteer is nice and gradual or snappy? I saw a user on this thread that was talking about how he was experiencing snap oversteer on overpass ramps and such, does anyone know why that was a problem?

What are the benefits of going 12 plate over 8 plate? Is the only real benefit more locking? Does anyone ever get any wheelhop like a locked or welded diff? How does it change tirewear?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
This is now going to sit at the top of my mods list! Now i know that an ACD flash is considered the cheaper option but I know they have a tendency to cause binding in the rear diff so should i start with this one? I saw in IzzyRS's video the difference since you didnt have to mat the accelerator and understeer until the CD locked up.

Would anyone else say that the oversteer is nice and gradual or snappy? I saw a user on this thread that was talking about how he was experiencing snap oversteer on overpass ramps and such, does anyone know why that was a problem?

What are the benefits of going 12 plate over 8 plate? Is the only real benefit more locking? Does anyone ever get any wheelhop like a locked or welded diff? How does it change tirewear?
ACD binding was early on, i cited that myself based on some of the early ACD tunes that I didn't like (Gruppe-S, etc). There is a big difference now with the current available ACD tunes. My rear diff is an aggressive 1.5way, so the diff itself creates some binding on decel. the ACD tune actually solved that for me, solving turn-in understeer, while rear diff solved exit oversteer. they really work hand in hand IMO
Old Feb 12, 2017, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I went back out today to get more footage...for science... I edited my previous post with new video. Definitely can see the diff doing some work.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
ACD binding was early on, i cited that myself based on some of the early ACD tunes that I didn't like (Gruppe-S, etc). There is a big difference now with the current available ACD tunes. My rear diff is an aggressive 1.5way, so the diff itself creates some binding on decel. the ACD tune actually solved that for me, solving turn-in understeer, while rear diff solved exit oversteer. they really work hand in hand IMO
Can you elaborate on your ACD tune? Who's did you find to be the best/most effective?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

check the thread in my sig bro
The following users liked this post:
V.8MR (Feb 18, 2017)
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is great info to know thanks
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im looking for a replacement rear diff for Evo 8
Someone on here has a IX with TRE 12 plate is this compatible?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, 8 and 9 rear diff are the same.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

for those of us who now have "power oversteer," how "badly" does stiffening the rear bar hurt in terms of being able to put the power down? I know toe out really makes power oversteer go a little crazy, but I imagine with a stiffer rear bar it's partly mitigated by the car squatting down yes?

I'm at the middle setting on my WL 24mm, thinking about going to the stiffest but I'm worried the car won't be able to power down without going full drifto
Old Apr 27, 2017, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Raising rear bar rate will increase front grip, and make the car more tail happy. Only way to tell how much on your car, is make the change and see how it feels. I would probably bring tools to put it back if you don't like it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

prob right - chances are i'll like how it feels for turn-in, and it'll be way too tail happy on corner exit
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
for those of us who now have "power oversteer," how "badly" does stiffening the rear bar hurt in terms of being able to put the power down? I know toe out really makes power oversteer go a little crazy, but I imagine with a stiffer rear bar it's partly mitigated by the car squatting down yes?

I'm at the middle setting on my WL 24mm, thinking about going to the stiffest but I'm worried the car won't be able to power down without going full drifto
You would make the change to that rear bar if you feel you need the car to be more tail happy. So that's the question....is it not tail happy enough for you now? If it is leave it alone

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here