Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I tuned that out long ago. It's a DEFINITE help!
right, but doing it through drivetrain vs. suspension, for example, lets you not have to set the rear up super loose and lose too much grip while still letting the car turn in. either way, a must have for a USDM 8/9
Old Jun 23, 2017, 06:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
right, but doing it through drivetrain vs. suspension, for example, lets you not have to set the rear up super loose and lose too much grip while still letting the car turn in. either way, a must have for a USDM 8/9
You thinkin' the ACD would allow a less-aggressive suspension setup? I dunno. I think we're stuck with compensating the way we always have. ACD helps, but that's about it.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
You thinkin' the ACD would allow a less-aggressive suspension setup? I dunno. I think we're stuck with compensating the way we always have. ACD helps, but that's about it.
Well, on X, all of that active gadgetry is definitely doing something and affecting modes done to the car somewhat for sure! Once you get things tighter, it finds the way to loosen things up through the drivetrain actuation and the other way around.
I think the right way to see this is to look at the whole thing as one system. This car is meant to be driven the way that can use all of the magic stuff and than lots of things end up where they need to be. Adjusting the ACD brain, definitely affects this magical circle!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
oh yes. I've adjusted my set up from it anyway. less aggressive rear bar for example. it's amazing the difference the tune has made for me. much like how you would set up a fwd car to be looser than a rwd car I've set up the Evo towards the rwd spectrum. I'm constantly tweaking the car though.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 08:47 PM
kaj

oh yes. I've adjusted my set up from it anyway. less aggressive rear bar for example. it's amazing the difference the tune has made for me. much like how you would set up a fwd car to be looser than a rwd car I've set up the Evo towards the rwd spectrum. I'm constantly tweaking the car though.
Possibly. My setup is a LOT more mild than some, maybe that's why mine seems fine as-is. It was good before, but now it's even better. The car feels downright neutral on the road course (I've made a couple other changes). We'll see how it does at autox. I never went too crazy with parts or settings, so I haven't had to dial anything back. In fact, I may have a bit more wiggle room to get aggressive. I don't think I will, though. The car felt PERFECT my last outing.
If an ACD tune allows someone to introduce a bit more compliance into the suspension, I can't think of how that could be a bad thing. That's very good news!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:15 AM
kaj

I'd like to get rid of my ACD. I'm assuming I can toss in a Wavetrac setup and be done with it?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I'd like to get rid of my ACD. I'm assuming I can toss in a Wavetrac setup and be done with it?
wut? I think this is re: the front diff not the center - I thought u just got the ACD tune - don't like it anymore?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Getting rid of the ACD on a car that turns is very counter intuitive to going fast. Also, the ACD is for the center diff (Active Center Differential). This conversation is about the front diff.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:06 PM
kaj

Maaan. I was wanting to be rid of it. The ACD is cool, but I'd like to keep things mechanical, if possible. I'd like to ditch the pump, fluids, etc. if I could.

And yeah... I read fast and mixed up the front/center diffs
Old Jul 6, 2017, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Maaan. I was wanting to be rid of it. The ACD is cool, but I'd like to keep things mechanical, if possible. I'd like to ditch the pump, fluids, etc. if I could.

And yeah... I read fast and mixed up the front/center diffs
Sorry, off topic but:

We never got the AYC anyway so it was never going to be the factory Evo experience, it was always gimped. I think that going all-mechanical is sort of an American interpretation of the Evo.

I just swapped from ACD to a non-ACD transfercase and also got the Wavetrac. It's still a 50:50 split, I don't feel like I'm missing anything (besides 40 lbs of things I don't understand).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Reflash ACD ECU
Drive a car on twisty road
Then you'll see how BIG the influence of ACD is

ACD is for cornering and also braking, especially under slippery conditions.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

kaj has reflashed the ACD, which makes it odder to me that he'd want to get rid of it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:03 PM
kaj

kaj has reflashed the ACD, which makes it odder to me that he'd want to get rid of it.
I prefer mechanical parts to electronic, is all. It may not be as fancy and "slower", but I'm cool with that. ABS is about the only thing I'd wanna keep. I recognize ACD, AYC, PDK, etc are all faster, but meh.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I prefer mechanical parts to electronic, is all. It may not be as fancy and "slower", but I'm cool with that. ABS is about the only thing I'd wanna keep. I recognize ACD, AYC, PDK, etc are all faster, but meh.
Yup, plus when are we gonna see rain? Next February maybe?

I'm down with doing a comparison if any of you ACD tunas want to go to an autocross or something.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:24 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Name User
Yup, plus when are we gonna see rain? Next February maybe?

I'm down with doing a comparison if any of you ACD tunas want to go to an autocross or something.
I don't race in the rain. If I'm caught in it, I'll deal with a slower car. That's okay. I will say the ACD is AMAZING on the road course and AutoX. The car did exactly what I wanted, when. It definitely suited my driving style. It was that much better than stock. "That much" better than a tuned, mechanical setup? I have no clue.
I think I noticed more of a diff during AutoX than the road course, but that's probably no surprise.

Quick Reply: ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!