Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Why ? It is just oil ? It is not as if the oil that is pushed out into the catch can is 'bad'. I think the idea of sending it back into the oil pan is smart.

The question I still can't seem to understand is why are some people having so much oil vent from the valve cover ? I get some, but nothing like what others have indicated.
When you drill and tap into the valve cover your creating more area for crank pressure to escape through.

The Buschur recirculating catch can is just a catch can. It still has only 2 ports that the same valve cover ports run vacuum lines from.

The best thing to do for power is to run your car without a valve cover. But we cant do that for obvious reasons. So thats why people drill and tap more pcv ports.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump

bump
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

tscomp- try Earl's fuel flapper/check valves. They are $$ but they hold pressure. The other downside is they work better when installed with the flapper hinge up - which means the unit should be parallel to the ground. Might be a fitment issue....
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
why doesn't anyone vent crank case pressure off the block for high power applications?
Venting off the head means the air needs to come up the oil return galleries, meaning the oil has more trouble returning to the sump?
How about 3x -8AN fittings drilled and tapped into the back of the block (under the intake manifold) that then goes to a sump/chamber then to a catch can?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
why doesn't anyone vent crank case pressure off the block for high power applications?
Venting off the head means the air needs to come up the oil return galleries, meaning the oil has more trouble returning to the sump?
How about 3x -8AN fittings drilled and tapped into the back of the block (under the intake manifold) that then goes to a sump/chamber then to a catch can?
Thats also a great idea. But more time consuming and difficult to do. You cant really tap into it unless your gonna remove and take apart the block and clean it off etc.... But if your having the block removed and built I totally agree with you.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
If you have a built block that cost over 3k i dont know if you would want to take a risk of Fn something up... even a shop
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
haha yeah, i meant while it's apart for a rebuild.
noone would dare try that with the block in situ!
the only risk i could see with doing it is possible block weakening and a place for it to start to crank. It's thin walled anyways...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

I personally would rather find another way than that.. glad Tcomp is testing some ways so when my crankcase pressure rises i have some ideas to run off of..
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
When you drill and tap into the valve cover your creating more area for crank pressure to escape through.

The Buschur recirculating catch can is just a catch can. It still has only 2 ports that the same valve cover ports run vacuum lines from.

The best thing to do for power is to run your car without a valve cover. But we cant do that for obvious reasons. So thats why people drill and tap more pcv ports.
Buschurs has three, a very large one also at the dipstick. It also acts as the drain back to the block when the crankcase is not pressurized.
Don

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ml#post8853606

Last edited by Roadrunr; Nov 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
my first setup will consist of 1 5/8 off the existing side valve cover port going to a sealed can then that can will take another 5/8 or equiv to the air intake. Im going to try the sealed route first, because as is i get no oil in my air intake with no catch can period, so i doubt ill get oil with one.

plus the sealed can will assist in ring seal, and keep vacuum good. turbo does an extremely amazing job at sucking vapors and crankcase pressure out, so im trying this route first.

of course ill update once i get everything all setup and let you guys know how it goes. The can im having made from Saikou Michi is pretty top notch and has all the coalescent filtering and mesh and anything else you can think of to stop oil from getting past it.. far more advanced then moroso cans or most cans on the market. This is what i found after researching into this stuff for the past week.

So i will update once i get everything setup and ready to go. Im having the cans welded or custom modified to utilize a muse anodized black mini battery tray, so it will be a very clean install ( i hope).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Very good thread, tscompusa.

I'm having similar issues (although I am pushing oil and burning it in the turbo). The stock barb on the X valve cover is approx 6AN and that is sounding like a restriction from what I've read here. I bet it'll be a pain to drill that barb off to put another fitting there as well.

My next step is to get a fitting on my intake since I was trying to vta from a sealed can through the small 6AN barb on it. Oops.

Last edited by mlomker; Nov 23, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Why not just vent to atmosphere as many have done for years?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Why not just vent to atmosphere as many have done for years?
Not sure what setup you're referring to since quite a few things have been discussed in this thread. If you're using the stock system then disconnecting the intake connection makes it work worse than stock. The combination of the small 5/16" outlet and doing away with the intake suction is a bad combo.

I'm jealous of you 8/9 guys...there are a lot of options for solving this. My X valve cover is shaped such that welding on larger fittings is going to be a pain and the stock outlet is not easily upgraded to 3/8ths like the 8/9 valve cover.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
my first setup will consist of 1 5/8 off the existing side valve cover port going to a sealed can then that can will take another 5/8 or equiv to the air intake. Im going to try the sealed route first...
That's your best bet. Most people that have dipstick blowing out and crankcase issues are simply because they don't route back to the intake where the vacuum helps in relieving pressure.

Of course there are other reasons, but I think they have all been discussed already (leaky PCV, piston-wall clearance on built motors, etc).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ports on the stock valve cover is way too small. Much larger lines need to be used. Even -6AN or -8AN is too small IMO. I installed two -10AN lines on mine. Since both ports are in the stock location, it baffles well and doesn't fill up my catch can too quickly. I'd take some pictures if I can ever find my digital camera. If you run a fitting on the non-stock locations it won't be baffled and you will have oil come out.

Before I went with the -10AN lines in the VC, I tried Hals vented oil cap on my last dyno. I gained 10hp! Put the stock oil cap back on and I lost 10hp which means the stock sized VC nipples can't vent enough.

I am running about 630whp uncorrected so stock power they may be okay.

The vented oil cap works great but lots of oil comes out and you need a catch can like Buschurs that drains back into the oil pan if you run it but with a larger -10 fitting. I welded another tube on my dip stick tube and I was considering running another catch can that just drains back for the vented oil cap only. Before I do all that, I was going to dyno with and without Hal's oil cap to see if it makes any difference with the new -10AN lines in the VC.
The following users liked this post:
Slick03NJ (Jul 17, 2022)

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues