Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
i think you're confused. the only reason for the catch can at the pcv > intake manifold side is to stop oil from entering the intake manifold like it does. so you put a catch can in the middle of the process then you put a check valve in there as well on the line going back to the intake manifold so the pressure can not come back from the intake manifold and pressurize the catch can.

you should read the dsmlink thread i posted if the forums up. that forums up and down all day long LOL.
I think your confused to what I'm saying. I know what the check vavle does but what I am saying is since the vapor isnt going to flow int othe intake manifold due to the pressure why have a line running to it to beging with. Air/vapor wont flow into the intake manifold from the catch can due to the pressure inside the intake manifold and it wont from from the intake manifold into the catch can as the check vavle wont allow it...so why have the line there at all?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
I think your confused to what I'm saying. I know what the check vavle does but what I am saying is since the vapor isnt going to flow int othe intake manifold due to the pressure why have a line running to it to beging with. Air/vapor wont flow into the intake manifold from the catch can due to the pressure inside the intake manifold and it wont from from the intake manifold into the catch can as the check vavle wont allow it...so why have the line there at all?
i believe it has something to do with vacuum. you might want to ask the guy that made the diagram not me. i just read all the content over at dsm he wrote and hes very smart. theres good info over there since i guess lots of them guys have blowby issues.

on my dsm's i just put a fuel filter inline and that was that lol, but i need to actually get rid of pressure now because im experiencing so much pressure without the dipstick retention the dipstick would prob dent the hood LOL. and i understand the retention spring is just a bandaid fix for something that needs fixed!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

lol Im not blaming you but reading the article it seems to contridict itself.

At the heart of the system is a special valve called (oddly enough) the PCV valve. In one sense it is a simple check valve; it only allows air to flow towards the IM and closes completely when air tries to flow the other way. But it is also an airflow-metering device. Under maximum intake vacuum (such as when idling or decelerating) the amount of blow by in the engine is at it’s minimum, and the PCV valve is mostly closed. As the engine load increases and intake vacuum decreases, blow by increases and the PCV valve opens proportionally to allow more airflow. It is this metering function that keeps the airflow between the IM and crankcase balanced under all load conditions.
When the engine is running under boost, the PCV valve closes to prevent positive pressure in the IM from entering the crankcase. At the same time, excess pressure is drawn out through the VC breather port and into the turbo inlet, where it eventually finds it’s way back to the IM and into the cylinders to be burned off. When under boost, the high speed of the turbo creates a vacuum that helps pull out the excess crankcase vapors.
So when exactly is this PCV vavle open? I dont see when the air will flow between the two.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

pcv valve is open when you idle.... have you ever blew in a pcv valve? if you blow in hard it will close but if you blow in soft it stays open. i was just going to cap off the intake manifold and run it to the ground but people told me not to do that lol.

the pcv is open under vacuum and under boost it closes to stop the valve cover from being pressurized, which it clearly doesnt work to well, which is why i got a krank vent to put inline to help assist it.

look at map's rx7 lol biggest ventilation setup ive seen in my life. 3 huge -12 an or bigger connectors sticking out of their valve cover.

wish i could find the damn picture.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

pcv valve is open when you idle.... have you ever blew in a pcv valve? if you blow in hard it will close but if you blow in soft it stays open. i was just going to cap off the intake manifold and run it to the ground but people told me not to do that lol.

the pcv is open under vacuum and under boost it closes to stop the valve cover from being pressurized, which it clearly doesnt work to well, which is why i got a krank vent to put inline to help assist it.

look at map's rx7 lol biggest ventilation setup ive seen in my life. 3 huge -12 an or bigger connectors sticking out of their valve cover.

wish i could find the damn picture.
Well if thats how it does it the article isnt very clear :lo: it lead me to believe the damn PCV valve is closed all time. But I just find it odd also that it closes under boost but thats when blow by is at its worst and therefore needs to be ventilated most.

I think connecting it to the IM is a large oversight on the engineers part unless I am missing something. Preturbo seems like the only viable option if you are gonna route it back into the intake plumbing.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

well its supposed to shut 100% when in boost but the oem one sucks and it will not hold much past 20psi.

it is designed the way it is so it shoots the crankcase pressure under normal driving into the intake manifold and gets burned off. emission crap
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

well its supposed to shut 100% when in boost but the oem one sucks and it will not hold much past 20psi.

it is designed the way it is so it shoots the crankcase pressure under normal driving into the intake manifold and gets burned off. emission crap
Yeah but runnign it pre turbo will still burn it off, and give the benefit of always sucking the air outta the crank case...maybe I'm missing something its 6am here and I'm just finishing up shift so I'm tired
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

ya youre correct. plumbing it back to the air intake pipe will be better then venting to atmosphere but the thing is oil comes with that and then soils your intake pipe.. so thats why guys are just venting it off. i was going to recirculate it back and still might to test but im sure its going to make a mess. so i may well not even waste my time.

im gonna try these krank vents first i got from map and see what they do lol. only 50 bux and they been in garage forever now. take 2 seconds to install.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

ya youre correct. plumbing it back to the air intake pipe will be better then venting to atmosphere but the thing is oil comes with that and then soils your intake pipe.. so thats why guys are just venting it off. i was going to recirculate it back and still might to test but im sure its going to make a mess. so i may well not even waste my time.

im gonna try these krank vents first i got from map and see what they do lol. only 50 bux and they been in garage forever now. take 2 seconds to install.
What about 2 catch cans in series...I thought the whole point of the catch can was to keep the oil outta the intake tract.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

well its to release crankcase pressure and ya to keep the oil out of the ic piping and intake manifold etc.. im just going with a vented can and using my krank vents also. im gonna put the krank vents on first and see what the car does lol. im gonna most likely run a 2 catch can type deal and vent it keep oil out of both intake tracts.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

well its to release crankcase pressure and ya to keep the oil out of the ic piping and intake manifold etc.. im just going with a vented can and using my krank vents also. im gonna put the krank vents on first and see what the car does lol. im gonna most likely run a 2 catch can type deal and vent it keep oil out of both intake tracts.
Let me know how it works out. And your gonna VTA and into the intake tract?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
after 2,000 miles or so when the rings finally seal its not going to be such a hassle.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Let me know how it works out. And your gonna VTA and into the intake tract?
whats vta? OOPS nevermind....... vent to atmosphere

im going to do this: http://www.saikoumichi.com/PhotoBorderTemplateDC3.png

except one can will have a air filter on it and then connecting the line that goes to air intake it will go directly to can instead.

then another to interrupt the pcv and intake manifold ordeal.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
after 2,000 miles or so when the rings finally seal its not going to be such a hassle.
ya. the other one didnt get a chance to fully seal i ran it out of oil now that i think about it tho i bet the turbo was burning the oil off because i was using stock pcv stuff then also.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can run an oil separator with a vacuum pump, which works great but can get expensive.

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues