Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Old Nov 21, 2018, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Iíve decided to keep better track of my engines health so Iíve started my oil analysis reports from blackstone.

First sample was with Amsoil 10w/30 signature series and it wasnít too bad. I wanted to switch to rotella t6 again since itís easier to get the same day and cheaper. Both samples looked great so Iíll just continue with T6 and I plan on pushing the engine a little harder soon.
Attached Files
Old Nov 21, 2018, 03:05 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Liked 275 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9 View Post
Iíve decided to keep better track of my engines health so Iíve started my oil analysis reports from blackstone.

First sample was with Amsoil 10w/30 signature series and it wasnít too bad. I wanted to switch to rotella t6 again since itís easier to get the same day and cheaper. Both samples looked great so Iíll just continue with T6 and I plan on pushing the engine a little harder soon.
There are a lot of people that aren't going like that you mention T6 and Amsoil in the same sentence I agree, by the way. I've always had good results from Rotella. People still like to use expensive fluids because it makes then feel warm and fuzzy, though. Or maybe they have a specific reason they need to use it I dunno. Either way, it's still one of the best-kept secrets in automotive fluids.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For the history of this car it has seen AMSOIL for about 90% of its life and I hadnít had any issues what so ever. Iíve ran T6 in the past and it was my go to choice if I needed it right away. When I would use T6 it was mostly during summer months when it wasnít using AMSOIL. During the summer I wanted slightly thicker oil for added safety especially since I was in South Georgia. The car never felt right with 10w-40 but the engine felt good with T6

i do run AMSOIL for drivetrain and always have. Other then a notchy transmission when itís cold out itís never let me down lol
Old Nov 21, 2018, 03:56 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

It's good that you have a point of reference and data to back your decision, though. Most people are like, "I run only AMSOIL 24/7" but when you ask why, they don't have any quantitative info. Just something along the lines of "I don't like to take chances" or "Because I only run the best". At least your decision, as well as a select few others, has solid reasoning behind it. For those that run W2W/endurance racing or run a bazillion WHP, I could see how AMSOIL could be a necessity. At that level, I'm not sure even I'd trust testing out oils.
At least it's actually a decent oil so people using it should never have a negative experience. I've never heard anyone be disappointed in AMSOIL. It's like using a Rolls Royce to go to the grocery store.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I figure if I can get the same level of protection for a little cheaper than I should take advantage of that option
Old Nov 21, 2018, 07:47 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Same here. Or, rather, "same level of protection required by my engine". I just don't like waste, be it money or otherwise.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone have results using E85 only?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx View Post
Anyone have results using E85 only?
I'm curious about this as well. I will be sending in a sample to Blackstone soon, from my car that runs e85 only and using brad penn 10w 30 after 3k mile interval. I would like to see others results of E only cars.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol watching Street Outlaws listening to them trashing their bearings from too much ethanol in the oil made me think about this thread lol.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lol watching Street Outlaws listening to them trashing their bearings from too much ethanol in the oil made me think about this thread lol.
Lol love that show. Do you run e85 only?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wicked_X View Post
Lol love that show. Do you run e85 only?
Yes but my oil is never in the pan long enough for a sample. If I sent one in, the oil would at most have a few hundred miles on it. Last time it was back from the dyno the oil was like water I think so much fuel was in it lol so that might be a good time to send it in.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Yes but my oil is never in the pan long enough for a sample. If I sent one in, the oil would at most have a few hundred miles on it. Last time it was back from the dyno the oil was like water I think so much fuel was in it lol so that might be a good time to send it in.
lol I'm assuming it's a built block that sees a lot of race time? I've decided I'm not gonna risk it after I put on the FP red and just go with full synthetic VR1, then send a sample after 3k. If I spun a bearing running Brad penn + E85 I would blame myself big time. Not gonna risk it.