Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 07:50 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Edited, I'll post up the right one here soon.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wanting to add some data along with all these UOAs. I have been trying out some different oils in an effort to get rid of some annoying lifter tick and also to check out the oil pressure differences between different weights. I am running a balance shaft delete so my oil pressures will be higher along with a kiggly HLA (not sure if the kiggly hla effects overall oil psi though).

Here is the list of mods on my setup that may or may not be relevant. stock block with balance shaft delete using oem stub shaft, stock head with kiggly hla, Tomei cams, BC valve springs and Ti retainers. Stock evo 9 turbo, aftermarket oil cooler using -10AN lines to a setrab oil cooler mounted where the a/c condenser used to be.
Here are some comparisons Ive found:
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
Mobil 1 0w40

oil pressures at cold startup were 80 psi
pressures at full operating temps would fluctuate between 23-24 psi idling
-Lifter tick noise I was getting when my oil was at full operating temps was gone with this oil.
--barely any e85 smell using this oil
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Amsoil ZRod 10w30
oil pressures at cold startup was 80-82 psi
pressures at full operating temps would fluctuate between 24-25, but seemed to usually stay more at 25 psi idling
- Im still getting a bit lifter tick with this oil.
-- I get a really strong smell of E85 with this oil, almost scary.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Rotella T6 5w40

I did a quick change to try this out. The amsoil zrod had maybe 100 miles on it, so I decided not to replace the oil filter just yet. Because of that there was maybe .5 quarts of amsoil 10w30 I didnt get out. This may have effected my initial impressions so Im gonna give this oil one more drain interval to give it a fair try.

fully warmed up my gauge was reading 24-26 psi at idle, barely staying a 24, it actually seemed to balance itself closer to 25-26 regardless of how hard I drove around to get this oil hotter.

Cold start idle initially showed 84 psi but quickly drops to 79 psi, whereas the other 2 would stay in the 80s for a half a minute or so, then they would drop to mid 70s.

Overall impressions of this oil: My engine really loves this stuff. I know it sounds newbish to say, but the idle and acceleration was much smoother with T6, it felt less sluggish than with mobil 0w40. I dont like making those statements though, because there is no way to quanitfy it into data I can prove. If it quiets down my lifters like mobil1 0w40, then I most certainly will start using this oil though.

Last edited by TommiM; Aug 28, 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

A few updates. So already a few small things Im noticing with Rotella T6. When I pull the oil cap off it doesnt have that e85 smell in my oil anymore. Even after just running it for this short amount of time, it already got rid of the smell. There does also seem to be a thicker film of oil coated on my camshafts compared to the other two oils listed above, from a quick visual when I pulled my cap off.

The Mobil 1 0w40 also did a good job as well of not having the e85 smell in the oil. With the Amsoil the E85 smell in my oil was pretty strong. I dont know how much of a factor this is in regards to the performance/protection ability of the oil. To be fair my UOA from Amsoil came back ok,.
BUT.... If I have the choice of two good oils, I will pick the one that offers me no stench of e85 in my oil. ymmv.

Last edited by TommiM; Sep 2, 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
do you know zddp content for the rotella?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 09:25 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
i believe it's claimed 1100, but a guy on Camaros.net sent a sample out:

Sent off a sample from a new bottle of Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic last week. The manufacture date was January 27, 2012 and it's CJ-4/SM rated (diesel/gas). Good zinc content of 1257ppm and was in line with some used analyses I've seen. For comparison, Valvoline Racing street oil that is supposed to be higher zinc only has about 1000ppm. .
the OP on that sight shows the printout to back it up.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I had a few members on here send me there UOA, but the links seemed to have died. I believe one was on 91, the other on E85. Both showed zppd at ~1200.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

300 miles and two track days:

Attached Thumbnails Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.-untitled_zps2e1e1cc6.png  
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:29 PM
kaj

still sticking to my Rotella. i didn't even know about it until reading all the reports. then i was like, "Walmart?? really??" LOL. i was all about the OEM Mobil 1 stuff.
i don't like wasting money "just in case" when there is no real reason to. "you could pay more, but why?" LOL
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
still sticking to my Rotella. i didn't even know about it until reading all the reports. then i was like, "Walmart?? really??" LOL. i was all about the OEM Mobil 1 stuff.
i don't like wasting money "just in case" when there is no real reason to. "you could pay more, but why?" LOL

Ya, Im in a similar spot as well. Rotella T6 is good stuff. Its easy to find and reasonably priced. I like the fact that this stuff doesnt come out smelling like E85 when i drain it out or when I pop my oil cap open to take a look inside.

Weird thing I noticed. Using the previous brand oil, which shall be un named, I started to notice the oil cap seal starting to get really mushy and the cap not starting to seal correctly. This was on being eclusively on E85 for the last few months. My guess was fuel dilution in the oil effecting the rubber seal, idk.
Anyhow, switching to rotella and running it for a while, my oil cap clicks when its locked, just like new again. Just a crazy thing I noticed, like I said no scientific testing so take that fwiw.

Last edited by TommiM; Oct 21, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
300 miles and two track days:

One thing I didnt care about the Ultra 5w30 is that its on the thinner side of a 5w30, for road racing purposes I like to play it safe and run something a tad thicker. Im glad its worked out for you, your a braver man than me.

Thanks for the UOA btw.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

It's a step up from the 0W30 I've been running in the car for 48,000 miles.

Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:40 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by TommiM
Ya, Im in a similar spot as well. Rotella T6 is good stuff. Its easy to find and reasonably priced. I like the fact that this stuff doesnt come out smelling like E85 when i drain it out or when I pop my oil cap open to take a look inside.

Weird thing I noticed. Using the previous brand oil, which shall be un named, I started to notice the oil cap seal starting to get really mushy and the cap not starting to seal correctly. This was on being eclusively on E85 for the last few months. My guess was fuel dilution in the oil effecting the rubber seal, idk.
Anyhow, switching to rotella and running it for a while, my oil cap clicks when its locked, just like new again. Just a crazy thing I noticed, like I said no scientific testing so take that fwiw.
They say e85 dries out rubber components? I think I also read some oils seem to do better with 85 than others. Hm....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e8...years-e85.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommiM
One thing I didnt care about the Ultra 5w30 is that its on the thinner side of a 5w30, for road racing purposes I like to play it safe and run something a tad thicker.
The TDS (Technical Data Sheet) for Rotella T6 is a little skimpy on information I noticed. Nothing about ZDDP. It does give viscosity though:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 deg C is 14.2 cSt

That's higher than Mobil 1 0w40 which is 13.5 cSt (from Mobil 1 TDS)
and a bunch higher than the Ultra 5w30 which is only 8.61 cSt (golgo's UOA)

Nothing in the Rotella TDS about ZDDP but motorcycle guys supposedly like it because their wet clutches work well with it. That usually signals high ZDDP and low moly. The moly would be a friction reducer for improved gas mileage, but it's usually awful for wet clutches and is not considered to be the best additive for anti-wear either.

T6 5w40 looks interesting to me because my engines are all loose due to high mileage, so a hot viscosity of around 15 cSt is getting into my preferred range.
I'll try some out in my 12-times-around-the-world Toyota next oil change. I've had to use mostly 20w50 in that car's oil mix lately to keep oil consumption down. But I don't like the extra drag from the 20w50. That car is kind of a "98 hp weakling" so I don't like losing any of that if I don't have to. If summer oil consumption with the 5w40 is ok I'll be glad to switch to it. Your "fuel smell" experiments suggest good ring sealing with the T6, so I'm interested.

Last edited by Talonboost; Oct 22, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by golgo13
Weird that I see you in all the threads I post in LOL. Anyway, that's the reason for my question mark. Good to know. That (rotting rubber) was a rumor I have yet to confirm, especially since I've also read modern fuel systems can tolerate e85.
I have personally seen the "sludge". I wonder why some people are getting it and others aren't.

Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.