Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Andy, I will have a zrod UOA in the next week or 2 to post up.

(I'll also be pm'ing you for more oil shortly thereafter)
Raptord sorry for the late reply.

Got your pm and you got your products
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Raptord sorry for the late reply.

Got your pm and you got your products
Yes sir I did
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get Zrod all day long over dominator. They have very similar ZDDP levels.

But there are some who preffer the dominator, the only reason would be because they want a thinner 30 and desire to have the max anti wear additive available! And dominator holds up to alcohol fuels better than others.

I'd still do zrod

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
ah. sounds good. i'll do more reading then. makes sense. i just bought the car. she's stock. will be doing auto-x and track days. mostly daily driving. not sure i need to go crazy on all that.
a guy on NASIOC did a bunch of research on the Walmart Full Synthetic. all the tests came back saying it was as good as any off-the-shelf full syn (mobil 1, royal purple, etc). this was for the subaru engine, though.
any thoughts or has that been discussed.
or, since i'm keeping it simple for now, i should just stick with what's on the oil cap sticker?

i hate when people ask what's been answered a million times...but man. this thread is LONG. LOL

I was curious to test out some of these 'cheaper' brand oils. We had a new motor lined up for the other autox car, a 91 mr2 turbo. I wanted to run some non syn autozone oil in it, along with a few other cheap brands and then send out uoas. The engine and turbo were going to be replaced with an upgrade so worst case scenario wouldnt matter much. Unfortuntaely we didnt have time for it so it didnt happen. That was a more "doing it for sh&t$ and giggles" type of thing than any serious consideration.

There is alot of debate on here even with sticking with whats written on the oil cap. I have some pics of higher mileage valvtrain components tarnished in a coating left behind with this brand of oil. Im uncertain whether this is a good thing or bad. All I know is that when I opened my engine with similar miles and it has never used this oil, it was really clean with none of the varnish
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
I was curious to test out some of these 'cheaper' brand oils. We had a new motor lined up for the other autox car, a 91 mr2 turbo. I wanted to run some non syn autozone oil in it, along with a few other cheap brands and then send out uoas. The engine and turbo were going to be replaced with an upgrade so worst case scenario wouldnt matter much. Unfortuntaely we didnt have time for it so it didnt happen. That was a more "doing it for sh&t$ and giggles" type of thing than any serious consideration.

There is alot of debate on here even with sticking with whats written on the oil cap. I have some pics of higher mileage valvtrain components tarnished in a coating left behind with this brand of oil. Im uncertain whether this is a good thing or bad. All I know is that when I opened my engine with similar miles and it has never used this oil, it was really clean with none of the varnish
I'll go look for the thread. The guy is legit. I believe he's an engineer and paid a lot of Money to run all of the tests on different oils. He used a lot of terminology that was way over my head. Lol. But it was a super interesting read.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will try get UOA of rotella 15w40. Its not going to be soon, I need to run another 1500 miles tho.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
kaj

i'm looking at using the Rotella t6 as well.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i'm looking at using the Rotella t6 as well.
T6 is only 5w40. It is great, i will be using it when temp goes down here.

15w40 is just dino oil with high zinc/pho.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Chef-j
T6 is only 5w40. It is great, i will be using it when temp goes down here.

15w40 is just dino oil with high zinc/pho.
synthetic...dino. as long as it protects. and.. it IS about 110* here right now.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get Zrod all day long over dominator
it would appear by looking at the site that if you are high hp and do lots of racing that he Dominator would be the better choice,especially for E85,which most high hp cars here are indeed running on.

personally i prefer Motul 300V to Amsoil for various reasons,but if i had to switch i would definitely go with the Dominator over Zrod.i do run E85 and big hp and i like to race,and i know i need to change my oil frequently no matter what oil i use.

just curious why you recommend the Zrod "all day long"?

i'm guessing Tommie is going to be putting down about 600whp and run E85,i would point him towards the Dominator and frequent oil changes.

unless he plans on putting the car in the garage for a while or just going for longer intervals,why would he choose Zrod ?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by masonh
it would appear by looking at the site that if you are high hp and do lots of racing that he Dominator would be the better choice,especially for E85,which most high hp cars here are indeed running on.

personally i prefer Motul 300V to Amsoil for various reasons,but if i had to switch i would definitely go with the Dominator over Zrod.i do run E85 and big hp and i like to race,and i know i need to change my oil frequently no matter what oil i use.

i'm guessing Tommie is going to be putting down about 600whp and run E85,i would point him towards the Dominator and frequent oil changes.

unless he plans on putting the car in the garage for a while or just going for longer intervals,why would he choose Zrod ?

600 might be a little high. MAP built 2.3 with an EF3 turbo along with all supporting mods and E85 tuned to roughly 27 psi for a road race car. Im guessing numbers will be in the 400's.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

not too familiar with the Map EF turbos.i went to the webiste and they rated it at 550whp so i figured they had it underrated.

anyway,if you are going to be racing it,revving it high and using E85 i would say go with the Dominator.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Zrod has the zinc and phos levels that have been considered by the industry to be for high performance. Zrod also has a. Very high flash point meaning it will hold up to the extreme heat that happens when racing.
Zrod also has also good rust inhibitors, and holds up to hot fuels like race gas, ethanol ect... Remember Zrod was designed for V8s and 10s in mind, these engines can be very harsh on oils as they are running nitrous or whatever.

Dominator is a very robust oil from a racing standpoint, dominator does not need to be changed at every race, it was proven here in tje forums that dominator can be ran for over 3 full races, in some cases the oil was put through over 800 miles and track times.

Originally Posted by masonh

Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Zrod has the zinc and phos levels that have been considered by the industry to be for high performance. Zrod also has a. Very high flash point meaning it will hold up to the extreme heat that happens when racing.
Zrod also has also good rust inhibitors, and holds up to hot fuels like race gas, ethanol ect... Remember Zrod was designed for V8s and 10s in mind, these engines can be very harsh on oils as they are running nitrous or whatever.

Dominator is a very robust oil from a racing standpoint, dominator does not need to be changed at every race, it was proven here in tje forums that dominator can be ran for over 3 full races, in some cases the oil was put through over 800 miles and track times.

It is a tough choice. I have been using Dominator for track days exclusively with great results, and now the Zrod line came out. Both seem to have very similar flash points according to the UOAs. Both have similar zinc and phos levels. THe RD30 did come out with slightly higher levels of zinc and phos. on these UOA's. How much that really matters at that level of zinc and phos between the two, idk.

Its gonna come down to what viscosity Im gonna be running that will work best. usually built engines are being ran on 20w50. I need to find out if something like a 15w50 or 5w50 is doable. So far the only 5w50 I have found doing a quick research is from a brand Id rather not run in my engine though. Im really OCD about my fluids. I usually change all my drivetrain fluids,engine oil, and brake fluid before a track event.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

i'm sure the Dominator has equally high if nor higher zinc and phos levels and the flashpoints of the 2 oils are within 1% of each other.

the Z Rod is a little cheaper though,so if you are trying to save money go with the Z Rod.

i still think the Motul 300V is a step up from both,but between the 2 Amsoils the Dominator is their race car oil.

Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.