Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kinugawa 25g turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Minor correction t67 GReddy/Mitsubishi turbo is a td07 compressor wheel and td06 turbine wheel.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, thats what i meant
Old May 6, 2012, 11:56 PM

Hi all, Looking at same Here TD06SL2-25G with anti surge.

You can also get the 11.5cm hotside housings but I'm not sure if that would add lag with little overall gain or not?

Anyone tried the 11.5 hotside to compare or link to any dyno comparisons?
Old May 7, 2012, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SANDIEGOSFINEST
do you have any pictures of the turbine and turbine housing? what turbine housing are you using? 10.5 or 11.5? these turbos come with the td06slr turbine, much bigger than stock and equivalant to the fpgreen turbines. unless he just ordered their compressor kit which is just the compressor housing and 25g compressor wheel. a pair like that wouldnt do much better than a stock turbo in my opinion. the stcok turbione is far to small and would result in nothing but thrust plate overload and compressor suge, even with the clipping of a td05 turbine and the anti surge ports on the compressor housing. with the td06slr turbine kinugawa offers with the evo9 25g upgrade, is a pretty good match, not as good as a t67 (which is a td06 compressor wheel with a td07 turbine) but should be able to make 500 to the wheels. what type of fuel you running with this setup? e85, meth? im thinking of converting my evo9 tdo6 unit, into a 25g unit. been debating on ordering kamaks 25g billet wheel and taking it to the shop for the upgrade. keep us posted with your results
You are completely right about the compressor matchup, but i will say this, the car pulls longer than the stock 9 turbo so i imagine my power band grew a little and is better up top because of the better flowing compressor side. The turbine housing is in fact a stock 9 turbine with a ported 10.5 hotside. It actually flows rather well and spools nicely considering how big the compressor inlet is and the size of this wheel. I in fact only ordered the compressor kit as a cheap alternative to a full aftermarket turbo.
First impressions, this thing sounds AMAZING. I have no surge issues I can recognize but at the same time I have not had it on the dyno just yet. Once it is on the dyno I will lay over my two runs at the same boost to see the difference. At 17 psi it feels very linear and boost comes on very positive and about like stock. The graphs will show all the detail of spool.
My major complaint about this compressor is that they didnt port the compressor outlet for the amount of flow the big 5 blade compressor will can push. Luckily its an antisurge housing and aids in getting that faulty AR some help in not backing up a ton of air. The compressor outlet is the same size as stock and had no core shift in the casting so the gasket was dead center on the outlet.

So all in all for under $300 I have a turbo that retains much of the stock spool, sounds incredible, and actually makes power at lower boost levels. We will soon see how much more once I hop back on the rollers. I plan on staying on the 91 pump for now but I will do a race gas tune to see what we can pull out of this new setup.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound clip/videos? Glad to hear the first impressions are good so far
Old May 7, 2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by boostzealot
You are completely right about the compressor matchup, but i will say this, the car pulls longer than the stock 9 turbo so i imagine my power band grew a little and is better up top because of the better flowing compressor side. The turbine housing is in fact a stock 9 turbine with a ported 10.5 hotside. It actually flows rather well and spools nicely considering how big the compressor inlet is and the size of this wheel. I in fact only ordered the compressor kit as a cheap alternative to a full aftermarket turbo.
First impressions, this thing sounds AMAZING. I have no surge issues I can recognize but at the same time I have not had it on the dyno just yet. Once it is on the dyno I will lay over my two runs at the same boost to see the difference. At 17 psi it feels very linear and boost comes on very positive and about like stock. The graphs will show all the detail of spool.
My major complaint about this compressor is that they didnt port the compressor outlet for the amount of flow the big 5 blade compressor will can push. Luckily its an antisurge housing and aids in getting that faulty AR some help in not backing up a ton of air. The compressor outlet is the same size as stock and had no core shift in the casting so the gasket was dead center on the outlet.

So all in all for under $300 I have a turbo that retains much of the stock spool, sounds incredible, and actually makes power at lower boost levels. We will soon see how much more once I hop back on the rollers. I plan on staying on the 91 pump for now but I will do a race gas tune to see what we can pull out of this new setup.

should of waited bro, ive been going back and fourth through emails with kamak and finally got them to release there new 25g billet wheel along with the anti surge compressor housing kit to fit the 25g wheel in...looks nice and going to be ordering it for my srt4. its only 400 bucks, which is like damn!!! lol. check out kinugawas website and kamak dynamics. kamak offers the billet wheel for 200 bucks alone and then you can buy the comp housing for 120 bucks from kinugawa.

Last edited by SANDIEGOSFINEST; May 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Id love to have a billet wheel, but from what im seeing so far with this setup, if they dont port the housing outlet as far down as they can to achieve a better AR for the compressor then it will stay less efficient than it has the potential to be. the combination with the cast wheel seems awesome so far. Got any pics or did you not order it yet?
Old May 8, 2012, 08:38 AM

No pics of it yet in my hand, but if you check out out kinugawas website, youll see it in there comp kit option. And your right about the.compressor outlet not being big enough to deliver more air. Thats why I ported my outlet on my turbo and ordered a.flange for it and had my jpipe made by a exhaust shop with a.bigger diameter aluminim pipe. Also, atp sells jpipes the are much arger than stock as well. maybe somethimg you may be interested in as well...
Old May 8, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

BING! doing the ATP jpipe this week hopefully, i will port the outlet when i have more time though. the only time ive heard it surge is if im in 4th at a low rpm and giving it like 1/2 throttle. but its just because im not anywhere near the motor's good VE and im on stock cams along with this thing wanting to spool so much air so soon. the other times are in 5th below 3k and half-full throttle....until like 3400rpm and then BAM. so far though, it eats up so much road in 5th that i cant stay in it to see how it does. only been in 5th hard twice since ive installed it.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:15 AM

yea, your going to experience surge with that big of a wheel paired with the td05 turbine. upgrade to the 11 blade and clip it and that would shift your turbos power band a little bit and help with the surge issues. and the upgraded turbine fits in the 10.5 hotside with some maching to the housing. would love to see some videos of your setup in boost going thru the gears. sounds like its doing ok.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

quick video of me driving home from work. just to show spool and get an idea of the sound of this thing. more vids to come soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZMm...1&feature=plcp
Old May 8, 2012, 05:15 PM

Looks good granite, its still on low/moderate boost levels. Only issues i see with this match is when you get into the higher boost and how far off the two maps are going to be between the turbine and compressor wheel. Turbine is gping to definantly be maxed out with this compressor wheel spin so fast tryimg to keep up with the comp wheel that eventually is going to cause so much friction and heat and wear and tare on all the internal componemts and is going to lead into a premature failure. Experienced it when I had my evo8 turbo upgraded with a 20g comp wheel and left the turbine alone. had major in n out up n down shaft play, bearings on the thrust collar wrre fried, seals eventually blew and meesed up both the compressor wheel and turbine. and boost levels were still not high. Maybe 22-24 if that. Just a heads up man. Upgrade your turbine now to properly run this thing and call it a day. hope my experience helps you and others.
Old May 9, 2012, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder how it will all go once the boost gets turned up. Honestly the car feels as if the powerband has grown so I cant wait to see the graph comparitive to my stocker. I wish more documentation was done on this combo as far as longevity goes but I will see what the turbo looks like after the first say 1k miles, then again at 5k, and lastly at 10k. If everything looks good I will call this a win based on this combo. What I will be paying attention to are the factors you mentioned but I want to be able to see and show people whether this is a viable option or not. A friend of mine has a full 25g and is having the typical wastegate problems that have previously been reported. Thing is, he couldnt build anything over 20psi and made only 289awhp on our mustang dyno. I make only 17-19 psi and my car feels faster than it did on the stock turbo at 24 psi. I very well may be making more power as my grimmspeed sees more cfm earlier thus bleeding pressure sooner equating for the drop in boost needed to reach that cfm. She is an improvement for certain and spools very nicely but I think for now 17 psi is below its efficiency range. Ill turn up the boost once we make sure the motor is healthy and ready for it and report back with a couple of different graphs.

The first graph will show current power laid over previous power with nothing more than the turbo swap, dnp manifold, megan o2 housing, downpipe and test pipe.

The second graph will show power at 24psi laid over the power made on current boost.

The third graph will show power made over the stock turbo while accounting for the fact that this combo makes more cfm than the stocker.

Wish me luck. Ill post pics of it installed and such. Looks mean sitting on a tubular mani with nothing on the compressor. Obviously I dont drive around like that though. Id love to port the housing and everything and add the race pipe after the first 1k miles to free up some pressure. So we will see how that goes.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDIEGOSFINEST
should of waited bro, ive been going back and fourth through emails with kamak and finally got them to release there new 25g billet wheel along with the anti surge compressor housing kit to fit the 25g wheel in...looks nice and going to be ordering it for my srt4. its only 400 bucks, which is like damn!!! lol. check out kinugawas website and kamak dynamics. kamak offers the billet wheel for 200 bucks alone and then you can buy the comp housing for 120 bucks from kinugawa.
Hey guys,just some extra information here,Kinugawa has had the billet wheel for sale for over two months already.I think i might get one!

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/tu...hks3037-1.aspx
Old May 9, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

yessir, that was the topic of discussion a few posts back. but question is whether this turbo would really be able to take advantage of the greater efficiency of a billet wheel without porting the compressor housing.

Quick Reply: Kinugawa 25g turbo thread