Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.14%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.86%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Bah ! Come on what filter will run 8-9 months straight. The test you conducted was surelly a god test that showed imideate performance but not sure that it showed those intersted in the longetivity of the filter any data. for long term reliability a different test case was necessary.

The Royal Purple performed equally, as far as longetivity, that's hard to say but looking at the specs for RP it does have a higher burst pressure than the amsoil and is made in USA.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
The Royal Purple performed equally, as far as longetivity, that's hard to say but looking at the specs for RP it does have a higher burst pressure than the amsoil and is made in USA.
also it's bigger in terms of surface area than the amsoil, but i doubt we'll be doing any extended OCI tests in our cars - not long enough to exceed the life of the oil filter anyway
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
also it's bigger in terms of surface area than the amsoil, but i doubt we'll be doing any extended OCI tests in our cars - not long enough to exceed the life of the oil filter anyway

That RP filter was also the taller, skinny version. I would imagine the shorter, wide one would probably have even more media surface area. When I sent him those filters to test I didn't realize the shorter one was listed for evo x application where I was getting them.

I think that any filter over time will just end up flowing less, filtering more over time. Makes sense if you think about it. Its just gradually picking up more and more junk until its clogged. But that is why you do regular oci and run a high quality oil, and theres already a thread on that.

One point I would like to make clear before this thread starts turning into a vs debate. Any of these filters will perform fine in your car. Some of these perform better, but just like my oil analysis thread, none of those oils or none of these filters will cause your engine to fail. This testing was done to show performance difference, not to show you guys "hey if you run this filter your engine will blow", just to make it clear.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"if you run this filter your engine will blow"
If you run this filter your engine will blow.
I think.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
If you run this filter your engine will blow.
I think.

What filter is that?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
It was a defective Champ Labs filter IIRC.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Interesting that the guy in this BITOG thread got pretty fabulous particle count results with his Bosch Distance Plus filter, whereas in golgo's test with talc and flour the particle pile was pretty average.

Some thoughts on this: 1.) Particle size, 2.) multi-pass vs first pass, and 3.) corporate shenanigans.

1.) In golgo's test there was talc, supposedely about 10 microns particle size. 10 microns is about where the particles really started to show up in the BITOG Bosch test. Bigger than 10 microns there was practically nothing.

2.) Golgo's test was essentially first-pass. In the BITOG test, the particle count indicates mostly multi-pass efficiency, because most of the particles in the test sample probably had made several trips through the oil filter.

3.) One of my favorite subjects, see post #144, and if you want to add to that, you can look down the chain (instead of up) at the suppliers and subcontractors and partners that could be involved and you've got a real mess.
It was done through Blackstone, so yeah it would be multi-pass since this was used oil that was submitted. Plus you have to take into accounts that if he has a healthy motor or his OCI is super agressive, his counts will be low.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
It was a defective Champ Labs filter IIRC.
Yes, defective K&N Champion Labs filter.
You can read the whole story if you follow the link I posted in post #25, and then follow the link in that post to the subie forum.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
What I take from these results is that the Purolator filter is just as effective as the fancy filters twice it's price, plus it's made in the USA unlike a few others. I used to run that Purolator on a WRX, maybe I should consider it for my Evo now too; at this point I've only run OEM Mitsu filters on my IX and X.

Last edited by Kracka; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
What I take from these results is that the Purolator filter is just as effective as the fancy filters twice it's price, plus it's made in the USA unlike a few others. I used to run that Purolator on a WRX, maybe I should consider it for my Evo now too; at this point I've only run OEM Mitsu filters on my IX and X.
Pretty much.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Purolator now has a 100% synthetic filter media oil filter now. And Audi guys really like the Mann. Is the test rig still up.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
Purolator now has a 100% synthetic filter media oil filter now. And Audi guys really like the Mann. Is the test rig still up.
I always heard good things about the mann filters. Back in the day with my mr2 I had relocated the oil filter which allowed me to run a larger style filter. I ended up using an oem audi mann filter based on reviews about them.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3605910...Types&var=sbar That's the one I used, bypass valve rated at 1 bar so a little higher than the oem one was. But ya, they are great filters, but I think now with what was shown in these tests I would just run a Purolator or Royal Purple imo.

Last edited by TommiM; Feb 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I always heard good things about the mann filters. Back in the day with my mr2 I had relocated the oil filter which allowed me to run a larger style filter. I ended up using an oem audi mann filter based on reviews about them.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3605910...Types&var=sbar That's the one I used, bypass valve rated at 1 bar so a little higher than the oem one was. But ya, they are great filters, but I think now with what was shown in these tests I would just run a Purolator or Royal Purple imo.

The Mann filters can be had for cheap if you buy several at a time from rockauto. So I was wondering if they could be a cheap top runner filter. The Mann filters I was looking at are their over the counter ones, not the Audi ones. Also the new 100% synthetic purolator has peaked my interest and was wondering if they could be a top filter for extended intervals just like the amsoil one is. It's $10 locally which is nice too. I wouldn't do extend intervals on my Evo, but maybe on my wife's car.

Last edited by lv05evo; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:39 PM

Excellent testing and results, thanks for all the information
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the fatty purolator pure one synthetic media filter is available on amazon for $5.xx w/ free shipping over $25 for those who want to run extended intervals

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)