Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.14%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.86%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDTerror
I'm going to see if I can scrap up some spare change an send you some filters that would be readily accessible for most people, like FRAMs, STPs, Motorcraft...what ever you could get at a Autozone, Wal-Mart, or O'Rielly's.
I put most of my test equipment away and cleaned up the garage. At some point I needed to move on to other projects. It's not impossible to run another batch at some point, though.

Send me a PM with what you have in mind and we can discuss the possibly of another testing cycle.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I put most of my test equipment away and cleaned up the garage. At some point I needed to move on to other projects. It's not impossible to run another batch at some point, though.

Send me a PM with what you have in mind and we can discuss the possibly of another testing cycle.

Bah I think we have our conclussion. The 10 dollar AMSOIL filter is doing tje trick.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by apagan01
Bah I think we have our conclussion. The 10 dollar AMSOIL filter is doing tje trick.
Andy, you've been behaving yourself in this thread and I appreciate it. I understand you have an AMSOIL business to run but I would love it if you didn't try to put any spin on this thread due to your vested interest.

Also, did you notice that the Royal Purple performed equal to your AMSOIL filter and it is a few dollars less? Something to think about anyway.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running 10w30 Valvoline VR1 Racing Synthetic with a Purolator Synthetic filter. Feels great so far. Bought like 40 quarts of the VR1 for $5/quart.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
I was gonna say, there is no doubt the amsoil filter is great, but you cant just run to the store and pick one up. Thats the problem. I hate having to order anything lol, let alone and oil filter haha.

I am gonna run the Purolator Pure one filter, ran them on my dsm for years. They are readily available, and cost effective. Ever since Ive had my evo, I have always run an oem filter on my evo 9 and my fiances evo 10. Looks like ill change them out next oil change.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purolators are readily available everywhere, and they did well on this test. Royal Purple filters I have found locally at Advance auto and Pep Boys. If you don't have them in your area then idk where else. I too dislike having to order online for stuff like this.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
sorry if you already answered this before, is the royal purple physically larger than the amsoil filter? if i remember reading somewhere, more or less the bigger the better for oil filters, particularly if they're going to be run for extended drain intervals.. though the industry has shied away from big oil filters
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by kyoo
sorry if you already answered this before, is the royal purple physically larger than the amsoil filter?
First or second post should have the surface area of the filters.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Here is a guy that did a particle count on the Bosch D3323. Pretty good results.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2195882
Interesting that the guy in this BITOG thread got pretty fabulous particle count results with his Bosch Distance Plus filter, whereas in golgo's test with talc and flour the particle pile was pretty average.

Some thoughts on this: 1.) Particle size, 2.) multi-pass vs first pass, and 3.) corporate shenanigans.

1.) In golgo's test there was talc, supposedely about 10 microns particle size. 10 microns is about where the particles really started to show up in the BITOG Bosch test. Bigger than 10 microns there was practically nothing.

2.) Golgo's test was essentially first-pass. In the BITOG test, the particle count indicates mostly multi-pass efficiency, because most of the particles in the test sample probably had made several trips through the oil filter.

3.) One of my favorite subjects, see post #144, and if you want to add to that, you can look down the chain (instead of up) at the suppliers and subcontractors and partners that could be involved and you've got a real mess.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put in an EA15K20 today. I usually just use NAPA Gold in everything because it's right up the street but I decided to give the Amsoil a try. Good job with test and thread Golgo!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

First or second post should have the surface area of the filters.

is that of the media material inside the filter or the actual filter itself? like the length, diameter, etc? -_- the only thing i was gonna say was that the RP filter looks much taller?

::

well i guess the media surface area is much more relevant, and the ea046 owns the ea15k20 in that arena... man why did they discontinue those i should have bought like a hundred pack
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Yeah, it's the filter not housing surface area. I didn't bother measuring the housings, I didn't think it would be relevant.

Any reason you need it?

They are typically two sizes, short and stout vs. tall and thin. Also, you can find housing dimensions on the individual company websites IIRC.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it's the filter not housing surface area. I didn't bother measuring the housings, I didn't think it would be relevant.

Any reason you need it?

They are typically two sizes, short and stout vs. tall and thin. Also, you can find housing dimensions on the individual company websites IIRC.
nah just wanted to get an idea how long/far down it would stick out.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:58 PM
Account Disabled

Andy, you've been behaving yourself in this thread and I appreciate it. I understand you have an AMSOIL business to run but I would love it if you didn't try to put any spin on this thread due to your vested interest.

Also, did you notice that the Royal Purple performed equal to your AMSOIL filter and it is a few dollars less? Something to think about anyway.

Bah ! Come on what filter will run 8-9 months straight. The test you conducted was surelly a god test that showed imideate performance but not sure that it showed those intersted in the longetivity of the filter any data. for long term reliability a different test case was necessary.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I was gonna say, there is no doubt the amsoil filter is great, but you cant just run to the store and pick one up. Thats the problem. I hate having to order anything lol, let alone and oil filter haha.

I am gonna run the Purolator Pure one filter, ran them on my dsm for years. They are readily available, and cost effective. Ever since Ive had my evo, I have always run an oem filter on my evo 9 and my fiances evo 10. Looks like ill change them out next oil change.
I understand. We can ship a case of 10 and you will have too many to handle. 10 bucks shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)