"It Detonated" - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"It Detonated"

 
Old Mar 14, 2018, 09:11 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"It Detonated"

Hello everyone I bought my evo 9 in Sept of 2017. It was stock with a cat back 44k miles. From nov - feb the car was off the road because I was in the process of putting bolt ons on the car. Feb 13 car was tuned Feb 14 motor detonated on the highway. Coming to realize the car spiked to 35lbs on the dyno could have bent the rod but wasn't fully on its way out who knows.. Later that night after my tune car sat for an hour or so and when I went to drive it the car started breaking up.. brought it back the next day (the 14th) one of the plugs electrodes tips broke.. (another sign) He put in new plugs gapped them to .022 then went out and adjusted the tune and sent me on my way and 7 min later this occurred going into my first pull with the new plugs. 3rd gear 3800rpm it detonated right as it spooled. Car made 404hp/369tq on a dynojet.

Link to my current build
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...gsr-build.html

Mod List
Bushur Race Intercooler
STM 3" Downpipe w O2 Dump
3"TBE
FIC 1220
Walbro 255
Speed Density
STM Upper and Lower IC piping w a Tial Q Bov
STM 3.5" Intake
Running on E83~
Stock long block/turbo
Exedy Twin Disk HD


















Last edited by Big_Mike1; Jan 23, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Big_Mike1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 09:41 AM
  #2  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 5,455
Thanked 708 Times in 677 Posts
Hi Mike

Youve been a member since 2009 & this is your first post

Sorry to see the damage. Yeah, those stock rods can only take so much & when there is a problem w/the tune, this can happen

We would like to keep track of what your plans are so please keep us posted

Thanks, Joe
MinusPrevious is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 09:47 AM
  #3  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,635
Thanked 123 Times in 117 Posts
Hard to believe a stock turbo can spike to 35 psi. Sucks to see holes in the bottom end.
As for your build, what kind of driving style do you want out of your car? Do you like revving it out? How often do you go WOT? Do you race on course often? Etc.
2006EvoIXer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:05 AM
  #4  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 3,209
Thanked 200 Times in 193 Posts
damn Mike that sucks. I dunno what the policy is on posting up custom tunes, but it would be interesting to see what was going on there.
Biggiesacks is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:19 AM
  #5  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,635
Thanked 123 Times in 117 Posts
Is that cylinder #2 that failed?
2006EvoIXer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:23 AM
  #6  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 3,209
Thanked 200 Times in 193 Posts
look at that balance shaft, that thing literally grenaded. There is an epic engine failure thread you should x-post this into.

here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ne-thread.html
Biggiesacks is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:41 AM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
Hi Mike

Youve been a member since 2009 & this is your first post

Sorry to see the damage. Yeah, those stock rods can only take so much & when there is a problem w/the tune, this can happen

We would like to keep track of what your plans are so please keep us posted

Thanks, Joe
Yep all that time trying to find an evo and keeping an eye out on evom lol
Big_Mike1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:43 AM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Hard to believe a stock turbo can spike to 35 psi. Sucks to see holes in the bottom end.
As for your build, what kind of driving style do you want out of your car? Do you like revving it out? How often do you go WOT? Do you race on course often? Etc.
Considering I only driven the car for a month.. I haven't raced it once in a while a WOT pull for fun but I haven't gotten to enjoy the car enough. I was lucky enough to do 2 pulls after the dyno tho.. I was thinking about just staying as a 2.0 etc
Big_Mike1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:43 AM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Is that cylinder #2 that failed?
Yessir half the rod hanging there upside down
Big_Mike1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 AM
  #10  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,635
Thanked 123 Times in 117 Posts
I'm the same way. I would stick with 2.0 and avoid all the headaches of finding the right timing belt and misc mods to make engine run right.

Originally Posted by Big_Mike1 View Post
Considering I only driven the car for a month.. I haven't raced it once in a while a WOT pull for fun but I haven't gotten to enjoy the car enough. I was lucky enough to do 2 pulls after the dyno tho.. I was thinking about just staying as a 2.0 etc
2006EvoIXer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:56 AM
  #11  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,635
Thanked 123 Times in 117 Posts
Strange how it was cylinder 2 that failed. 1 and 2 gets the least amount of air from inrake manifold, so it's strange that it ran leanest. Maybe injector 2 was getting clogged? Or they all went lean and 2 failed first?

Originally Posted by Big_Mike1 View Post
Yessir half the rod hanging there upside down
2006EvoIXer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:59 AM
  #12  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Strange how it was cylinder 2 that failed. 1 and 2 gets the least amount of air from inrake manifold, so it's strange that it ran leanest. Maybe injector 2 was getting clogged? Or they all went lean and 2 failed first?
I had the map read by a friend of mine I was told my "injector scalings were off and my boost duty cycle was really bad".
Big_Mike1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:43 AM
  #13  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
2006EvoIXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,635
Thanked 123 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Mike1 View Post
I had the map read by a friend of mine I was told my "injector scalings were off and my boost duty cycle was really bad".
If scaling was bigger than actual injector size, you ran every cylinder lean. Check your head for any melted aluminum in the dome. Are all your spark plugs intact?
2006EvoIXer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:24 PM
  #14  
Evolved Member
 
barneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Island, NE
Posts: 6,564
Thanked 109 Times in 100 Posts
I'm looking at the car itself and you found a nice one. Too bad.
barneyb is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:26 PM
  #15  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Big_Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
I'm looking at the car itself and you found a nice one. Too bad.
Thank you.. one owner no accidents clean title, previous owner traded it in for a brand new automatic wrx. I bought this car from a Subaru dealership lol

Last edited by Big_Mike1; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Big_Mike1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "It Detonated"


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.