Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Immobilizer

Hey, Im curious if anyone here has any information on the anti-theft features of the evo. Is it a full factory alarm, or simply a key coded engine immobilizer? how will this engine immobilizer feature affect my plans for a turbo timer/ remote start equipped alarm? can i just forget about remotely starting the car b/c the key code wont be present w/o the key in the car? any help or insight would be appreciated. Please move this if its in the wrong category.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

If there is a key immobilizer you can still get a remote starter. You will need to buy another key with the chip and code it. That new key will go in a little box behind your dash and wire up with the strarter. It will cost a little more, not including the new key, but it is pretty common practice anymore. But you shouldn't need a remote starter because you have a garage to keep your evo in.................right?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

no i do not, hence the 2 way alarm.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

So would I need a special model remote start with the immobilizer bypass, or can this be done to all of them? if so, what models have this feature?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 07:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Thwack
So would I need a special model remote start with the immobilizer bypass, or can this be done to all of them? if so, what models have this feature?
Yes, you would. Visit your local alarm shop and they'll have info. The big things to remember, it takes a special alarm to work with the engine immobilizer (and an extra key), also a special alarm to work with a 5 speed. A number of alarms with remote start do NOT work with a 5 speed. Also, you NEED to remember to have it in nuetral vs. a gear when you park. Otherwise, bad things can happen.

IMHO, a remote start isn't worth the hassle. An extra key is about $150 alone, not to mention an extra $200-$300 for the remote start feature in most alarm systems. Just get a 2 way pager alarm system and use that. It'll be good coupled with the engine immobilizer already in the car.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

good info, thanks. I'm really not set on remote start, it's just that most alarms that I'm looking at include it as a feature anyways, so I was exploring the possibilites of incorporating it. My main goal was to double it as a turbo timer. So would I run into the same issues trying to hook up a turbo timer (whether as alarm feature or standalone), or would it be easier since the engine is already running? Sorry for all the ignorance, but I am completely new to engine immobilizers and factory theft deterrents.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by redbeard
If there is a key immobilizer you can still get a remote starter. You will need to buy another key with the chip and code it. That new key will go in a little box behind your dash and wire up with the strarter. It will cost a little more, not including the new key, but it is pretty common practice anymore. But you shouldn't need a remote starter because you have a garage to keep your evo in.................right?
But keep in mind by doing this you are bypassing the immobilisor feature all together. So any security benefit of the system will be sacrificed to have a remote start...

Having a remote start is not worth the security sacrifice IMHO.

SC
Old Mar 5, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp

But keep in mind by doing this you are bypassing the immobilisor feature all together. So any security benefit of the system will be sacrificed to have a remote start...

Having a remote start is not worth the security sacrifice IMHO.

SC

You sure about this? from the description Fireball gave, it seemed like the remote start would send the coded signal to the ECU only when the remote start was activated. You'd still need the key for regular starting. granted it'd probaly be easier to bypass the immobilizer by going through the remote start, but the feature probably wouldnt be negated altogether. This is my impression, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You sure about this? from the description Fireball gave, it seemed like the remote start would send the coded signal to the ECU only when the remote start was activated. You'd still need the key for regular starting. granted it'd probaly be easier to bypass the immobilizer by going through the remote start, but the feature probably wouldnt be negated altogether. This is my impression, please correct me if I'm wrong.
100% correct here. You don't bypass it completely, but it does take away some of the security.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

You sure about this?
Fairly sure. The way I understand it.....The extra key that is mentioned above is needed to "trick" the ecu into thinking the key is in the ignition....so that the autostart feature in the alarm will allow the car to start without the presence of a key.

The alarm installer puts the key's head, where the immobilisor chip resides, into the car in a place where the ECU can always sense it presence. This is how the immobilisors functionality is voided.

You could now take any key(ie one without a programmed immobilisor inside), ground to the right shape of course, and start the car. Or you could remove the key barrel from the ignition and start the car with a screwdriver.

SC~
Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

I think it's more that the 2nd key is placed next to and hidded with a 2nd reader chip, and the coded signal output is sent to the ecu when the start command is received from the remote. I dont think you ould permanently hide the 2nd key head in the stock sensor, as the stock sensor would be located on the igntion key barrel, or near it.. putting a 2nd key head there permanently would not allow the use of the regular key.

I'll research this more at some alarm shops later. thanks for all the help
Old Mar 5, 2003, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, a remote start system doesn't bypass the key-chip feature. The only time the alarm sends a chip signal to the key field (its a device that is included next to your ignition cylinder on chipped keys) is at your request for start-up. Yes its possible that this type of alarm could be used to run your car for say 5 minutes after turned off, the problem is that it will also only run your car for 5 minutes at initial cold start-up. If theives want your car, they'll get your car. .
Old Mar 5, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

My experience is with Type R's... With those cars, alarm installers would get around the immobilisor feature by putting the key head right up inside the steering column...the ECU's immobilisor was effectively voided altogether. Perhaps they have a more slick way of getting around this problem now.

But you car still won;t be as secure as it would be with no remote start.

SC~who won't be intalling a remote start.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I checked it out at an alarm shop. They apparently do bypass engine immobilizer the way fireball described, in that it's only bypased for remote start, but still needs proper key for starting without the remote's signal. It makes the alarm install a bit pricier though... Now to tackle the e-brake and shifter safety switch issue.

thwack~ who is still undecided on using the remote start feature that will be included in his necessary billion dollar alarm... and plans to run out to his car in his underwear and a bat if it pages him at 2 am