Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Evo TSB May 2013 [MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
<p>Sorry for bringing this thread back but what exactly is the dealership's procedure for updating the ECU? The local dealership here is messing up the ECU updates on Evos. The cars are unable to start after the update.</p>
Old Sep 2, 2015, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Klaiceps
<p>Sorry for bringing this thread back but what exactly is the dealership's procedure for updating the ECU? The local dealership here is messing up the ECU updates on Evos. The cars are unable to start after the update.</p>
I'm not intimately familiar with the dealer reflashing tools, but the first thing that comes to mind is that they're not correctly transferring the immobilizer code to the newly reflashed image.

Obviously you'll want to avoid that dealership, because I'm sure the proper procedures are carefully spelled out in whatever documentation their techs failed to read.

Does anyone have a dump of the new ROM image by chance?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I'm not intimately familiar with the dealer reflashing tools, but the first thing that comes to mind is that they're not correctly transferring the immobilizer code to the newly reflashed image.
This.

Also, since he's in Hawaii, he doesn't have much of a choice for Mitsu dealerships. One, to be exact (unless something changed since I lived there).

Don't even waste your time taking it in. Just get a proper tune... excessively rich problem gone.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
I'm not intimately familiar with the dealer reflashing tools, but the first thing that comes to mind is that they're not correctly transferring the immobilizer code to the newly reflashed image. Obviously you'll want to avoid that dealership, because I'm sure the proper procedures are carefully spelled out in whatever documentation their techs failed to read. Does anyone have a dump of the new ROM image by chance?
bboypuertoroc is correct. There's unfortunately only one Mitsubishi dealership here. That's exactly the step that this dealership is not doing right. Long story short, there was an Evo IX there that just would not start after a "failed" reflash. The tech stated he attempted to reflash but could no longer communicate with the ECU, which I thought seemed odd. I hooked up my laptop and guess what.... I was able to communicate with the ECU. I downloaded the ROM image and poked around for a bit. I disabled the immobilizer, reflashed the ECU, car fired right up. A couple months later, I get a call from them asking me to help them out again with another Evo IX. Since I was nice enough to help them out the first time, I kindly asked for some sort of compensation for my time if I were to bail them out this second time. I'm still waiting for a call back from them.Oh and attached below is the updated 88590016 ROM that Mitsubishi is reflashing into Evo IXs.
Attached Files
File Type: bin
88590016.bin (512.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Klaiceps; May 10, 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really old thread but I have "fun" story to add . I took my Evo in today due to some weird fluttering air sound. They said "hey, while it's here, we should do the two outstanding recalls on it." I say go ahead.

I get a call this afternoon saying they fixed the air leak issue (pipe clamp came off), but there's still no boost and the turbo needs replaced. $4k. I'm passing on that. I'm not spending $4k for a stock turbo.

"Oh, and we did the PCM flash. Two things can happen when we flash it. #1 it flashes and all is well. #2 it fails and burns up the computer. you got #2. Don't worry, it's cost is covered by the recall. We just have to order a new computer from Japan now."

Estimated delivery date of the computer is Feb 16, 2016. Today is Dec 15, 2015. WTF???
Old Dec 15, 2015, 02:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightRider9
Really old thread but I have "fun" story to add . I took my Evo in today due to some weird fluttering air sound. They said "hey, while it's here, we should do the two outstanding recalls on it." I say go ahead.

I get a call this afternoon saying they fixed the air leak issue (pipe clamp came off), but there's still no boost and the turbo needs replaced. $4k. I'm passing on that. I'm not spending $4k for a stock turbo.

"Oh, and we did the PCM flash. Two things can happen when we flash it. #1 it flashes and all is well. #2 it fails and burns up the computer. you got #2. Don't worry, it's cost is covered by the recall. We just have to order a new computer from Japan now."

Estimated delivery date of the computer is Feb 16, 2016. Today is Dec 15, 2015. WTF???
Ouch that sucks, I hope they are at least hooking you up with a free rental. Big **** up on that dealers part though. You would think they would check how hard it was going to be to replace the ecu before doing something that may brick it. There are ways to unbrick an ECU if you are interested, check out the ECUFlash subforum. There is a sticky with all the important threads, so you don't have to wade through too much stuff.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightRider9

Many of us flash our ECUs all the time without issue. I wonder exactly what they did here.

The two month lead time is unacceptable. I'd buy a used ECU off of the forums or eBay and make the dealer reimburse you for it. You'll have to disable the immobilizer code or make the immobilizer code match your keys, but that's easy enough.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

They may think they bricked the ECU but it could be they just forgot to input the immobilizer code. If you know how to navigate ECU Flash, you could upload a stock map to your ECU and disable the immobilizer. It should start from there. Then you can tell them to pay you for fixing your own car.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. When I go pick up my free rental car today, I'll mention the immobilizer code. I can't imagine a way for them to actually damage the computer while flashing it assuming they physically hooked it up correctly. They said it was the 2nd car in 6 months that had this issue when flashing it. So like you said, it's likely just immobilizer related.

Of course, I may prefer to drive a rental during the crappy winter months (Ohio). I'd rather not risk wrecking the Evo in the snow, replacing tires, and I'd still have to replace the turbo anyways, although a friend said I could have his stock one for free.