Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So whos going to buy this Brand New Evo 9 MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
This is very obviously a marketing ploy. There were a few legitimate buyers at the beginning, but the high dollar bids are not real.

Don
Old Jul 20, 2017, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Old Jul 20, 2017, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Herein lies the difference in perspective and personal orientation. I bought an Evolution in 2006 over everything else, because I liked driving it. Meaning, liked it more than other cars. I want this to be clear. As such, if a similarly minded individual pays $100K for a new IX, he will drive it. $100K isn't that much in the greater scheme of things. To some, like to me, the price would cover a brand new example of the car I chose to begin with. Different way of looking at it. I'd urge everyone to try and drive a stock IX- not the modded and re-modded contraptions we often see. It's truly special.

Insurance would cover you for what about 26k and the first accident you have there goes your 100k down the drain
Old Jul 20, 2017, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Insurance would cover you for what about 26k and the first accident you have there goes your 100k down the drain
Not unless you insure it on a classic car policy with an agreed value of whatever you want it to be.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 06:02 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Not unless you insure it on a classic car policy with an agreed value of whatever you want it to be.
I'm actually at a point where I'm considering switching from USAA to a specialty company. The car's value only keeps going up.

It's kinda funny in retrospect. When I bought the car I could not have anticipated any of this. I mean, I knew that I was buying a whole lot of motorspors' heritage and purest driving machine I'd experienced to date, but I had no clue as to the Evo's street cred, didn't know that it was featured as the winning car in video games, had no idea of its place as a cultural icon for a generation. Maybe two. Being aware of all this and having lived with the IX for 11 years, yes, all the hoopla kinda makes sense.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

You don't necessarily have to switch to a specialty company (i.e. AMIG or Haggerty). Some companies have options where on personal auto policies you can put on a car and insure it as a classic car with an agreed value. I'm with Safeco, I know that they can do it but forgot what the parameters were for that classification to apply. I'll see if I can look it up, I probably have the marketing material somewhere in a box. (I work in insurance but am in the underwriting side now, so I'm not promoting anything I represent.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
You don't necessarily have to switch to a specialty company (i.e. AMIG or Haggerty). Some companies have options where on personal auto policies you can put on a car and insure it as a classic car with an agreed value. I'm with Safeco, I know that they can do it but forgot what the parameters were for that classification to apply. I'll see if I can look it up, I probably have the marketing material somewhere in a box. (I work in insurance but am in the underwriting side now, so I'm not promoting anything I represent.)
I'll look into it. Thanks!

Did you guys see the $107,855.00 bid? Might be a real thing.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Now that I think about it, with Safeco, I think the car has to be a certain age before you can insure it as a classic car on their personal auto policy, so I'm not sure you could do that with the Evo yet.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 09:56 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
I'll look into it. Thanks!

Did you guys see the $107,855.00 bid? Might be a real thing.

No.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100k+ for a Mitsubishi or 100k+ for (insert luxury brand). Props for a very immaculate Evolution
Old Jul 21, 2017, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if that bid is srs..
Old Jul 21, 2017, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Safeco is a good starting point if you want to insure your Evo. I'm currently with them and would highly recommend you look into it. I have an amazing deal with them and for those who use it as a show car or something similar and keep miles really low, this is the way to go.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I never thought of the marketing ploy or angle for the dealership and that is brilliant. I also am an experienced eBayer and have been part of the "Non Paying Bidders" experience. The fact is the buyer can bid a trillion dollars and disappear into space never to be heard from and eBay won't do a damn thing. In fact when you have something like this and it's getting a lot of attention guess who else is winning? eBay!!! I would love to see this car sell for top collector dollar but know it will likely not sell and might just be a good marketing ploy as mentioned. In the mean time I've got my popcorn and will follow closely. I also don't think we will ever really know who buys the car because we will never see the new owner take possession.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 08:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
It's easy to cancel your bid on your car. No problems there.
then you "second chance" the highest LEGITIMATE bid, if you decide to sell.
If not...free publicity!
Smart.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe that the bid is this high.
It's been a long time since I posted on the forums
This definitely got my attention. I will be watching this one till the end.

Quick Reply: So whos going to buy this Brand New Evo 9 MR?