Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Taking a chance - Cavalli BB Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
el oh el
Old Jun 25, 2017, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
What happened ?

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 25, 2017, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry everybody, I haven't been messing with the car. Lots of life stuff happening recently. We held off on tuning until I swapped to a walbro 450 last week. Switching to E85 this week. Car is running great, turbo has been rock solid.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by JericM
Sorry everybody, I haven't been messing with the car. Lots of life stuff happening recently. We held off on tuning until I swapped to a walbro 450 last week. Switching to E85 this week. Car is running great, turbo has been rock solid.
Where the logs go?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subd for this. I recently (last fall) over revved my engine and decided that was a good time for a build. Not expecting to have to do this it obviously was a bit of a financial concern. Being a master tech and having built many engine I took the build upon myself. Built the head with GSC everything. Built the bottom end. And of course came across some unexpected items that needed attention. Turned out my manifold had a crack, so ordered the MAP cast mani. Upon removing the turbo 3 bolts broke off in it and found some shaft play that I didn't like. Now exceeding my budget I was looking for a turbo. At the time there wasn't a lot of documentation of the Cavalli and really still isn't. However financially it made sense. FP was about 5 weeks out of a turbo and I had to get my car back on the road quickly. So...got a Cavalli stage 3. Out of the box the turbo looks great. My hopes were high. Nice looking billet, big anti surge porting. Looked great. I suffered what many had, leaking coolant from the banjo bolts. Took it apart with new oem crush washers 3 times to get it to seal. Went beyond proper torque just to do so. I have to blame the turbo for that, however it finally sealed up. Get it on the road, sounds amazing. I mean this turbo is one of the nicest I have heard. Getting excited now!!! So once the break in was done it was tuning time!!! I am tuning with Chet by the way. Now brings us up to current day. Due to lack of time I haven't completed the tune on 93 just yet but based on what little I know about logs I would imagine we are close to finishing up 93. On VDyno with a correction factor of 3 I am barely at 405hp and about 385ft lbs. Now again we aren't done but I am not expecting that much from this turbo after seeing this. Could be a little hp loss due to the manifold, Cavalli claims this turbo does not perform well with high flow manifolds. None the less the stage 3 claims 640hp capable. Even on e85 I don't think I will see 500. But that's yet to come. My experience is its pretty laggy, holds boost nice, but doesn't make its power until higher up in the RPM range. Once I get done I will post my results as well then move on to e85. But for me once I pay my savings account back for the engine build I will probably be looking at a better turbo option. Good luck and hopefully you get the results you are looking for.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Still waiting for the logs....
Old Jun 28, 2017, 08:29 AM

I know you are referring to his logs, however I as well owing one think its very laggy. I am not certain and I would have to look at my latest logs but I think I hit peak boost around 3800 or so. Will check and post up what I find on mine later
Old Jun 28, 2017, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoDeek
I know you are referring to his logs, however I as well owing one think its very laggy. I am not certain and I would have to look at my latest logs but I think I hit peak boost around 3800 or so. Will check and post up what I find on mine later
Yes, was referring to the OP. Your experience is inline with mine and others.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Yes, was referring to the OP. Your experience is inline with mine and others.
3800 is when I hit full boost as well. That's considered laggy?

I'll post logs once we get on E85 and actually finish the tune this week. I'm not going to jump at the thought of you trying to flame me, I'll post them when I get the tune done.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by JericM
3800 is when I hit full boost as well. That's considered laggy?

I'll post logs once we get on E85 and actually finish the tune this week. I'm not going to jump at the thought of you trying to flame me, I'll post them when I get the tune done.
I don't think anyone is trying to flame you. A few of us have been around a while and know that the cavalli stuff has not been that great or reliable. If you have a cavalli Turbo that spools as fast as you're saying it does, then we want to see it cause you're about the only one.

On a side note I think the term "full boost" is being misused. You're stating your Turbo hits full boost at 3800 rpm when in fact according to the first and only log you've posted it crosses the vacuum to boost threshold st 3800rpm. Your boost plot says you're not hitting full boost, 26psi, until 4400rpm.

I'll use my car as an example. My car hits 26psi at 3550rpm, 850rpm quicker than your cavalli Turbo. My car hits "full boost", 30psi, at 3750rpm.

What we want to see from these logs is your claim of your car hitting "full boost", 26psi, at your claimed 3800rpm as opposed to your initial log of 4400rpm.

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to inform you on what we're interested in seeing
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone is trying to flame you. A few of us have been around a while and know that the cavalli stuff has not been that great or reliable. If you have a cavalli Turbo that spools as fast as you're saying it does, then we want to see it cause you're about the only one.

On a side note I think the term "full boost" is being misused. You're stating your Turbo hits full boost at 3800 rpm when in fact according to the first and only log you've posted it crosses the vacuum to boost threshold st 3800rpm. Your boost plot says you're not hitting full boost, 26psi, until 4400rpm.

I'll use my car as an example. My car hits 26psi at 3550rpm, 850rpm quicker than your cavalli Turbo. My car hits "full boost", 30psi, at 3750rpm.

What we want to see from these logs is your claim of your car hitting "full boost", 26psi, at your claimed 3800rpm as opposed to your initial log of 4400rpm.

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to inform you on what we're interested in seeing
This.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

yes this, alot of this
Old Jun 28, 2017, 01:02 PM

So you guys had me wondering. Just checked my logs and turns out I was wrong. Peak boost of 28 doesn't hit until about 4600!!!!! Lots later than I had thought.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

So you guys had me wondering. Just checked my logs and turns out I was wrong. Peak boost of 28 doesn't hit until about 4600!!!!! Lots later than I had thought.
Damn... that's a few hundred RPM later than my journal bearing Black.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm glad I brought this topic up. Cause I feel like people are getting full boost and the transition from vacuum to boost confused

Quick Reply: Taking a chance - Cavalli BB Turbo