Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Precision 5858 Turbo Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
So yours is like the sealed radium it looks like.

I'm glad this came up because this helps me a ton as I will soon have a working engine with a PT5858 BB attached to it.

Bummer I already spent $$$$ on a STM vented can.
Yes it's completely sealed. Top nipple (IM) is 1/2 ID hose, bottom nipple (PCV) is 3/8 hose. It drains at the bottom through a -4AN port. I spoke with Aaron from ER, he said: "The PCV to IM line needs left like stock because that is where most of the air for idle control comes from." I ran my setup ny him and said it works. I'm assuming because it's not vta in anyway shape or form on the PCV side. I asked him about the crankcase vent and whether or not it should be vta or recirculated and he said: "The end of the valvecover toward the turbo can be VTA or to a catch can. Havent seen a need for a catch can on an Evo X for the most part."
Old May 30, 2017, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chokkan
Here's the thread with the post by ETS that was mentioned

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...58-issues.html
I've seen that thread and I still don't undestand how what he did worked. All he did was swap the lines. There is no can in anywhere. Now instead of the PCV connecting to the Intake manifold it now connects to the intake/turbo and the crankcase connects to the intake manifold with a check valve in the middle.

Someone feel free to educate me
Old May 30, 2017, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I ran the lines the way I did because the passenger side (PCV Valve) can be made a true -10AN line to the intake. It also eliminates the PCV valve at the valve cover. Then the driver side which is a 3/8" outlet matches the intake manifold port. I put a check valve in line so it seals under boost and doesn't pressurize the crank case. You can put a catch can in line if you want. I tried welding a -10AN bung straight to the valve cover and running a vented catch can with true dual -10AN bungs off it and it started smoking almost immediately. Hooked up the system I linked before and it stopped smoking. If you weld a bung on your valve cover it doesn't matter which line you send to intake/intake manifold. They will both be the same size at that point.

- Robert
Old May 30, 2017, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
I've seen that thread and I still don't undestand how what he did worked. All he did was swap the lines. There is no can in anywhere. Now instead of the PCV connecting to the Intake manifold it now connects to the intake/turbo and the crankcase connects to the intake manifold with a check valve in the middle.

Someone feel free to educate me
Essentially its the same as stock except under boost you should have more crankcase ventilation because the intake manifold side seals up under boost and solely relies on the side going to the intake. I wanted to make that at least a true -10AN if I could. So, I swapped them seeing how they matched the hose size better when swapped.

- Robert
Old May 30, 2017, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Essentially its the same as stock except under boost you should have more crankcase ventilation because the intake manifold side seals up under boost and solely relies on the side going to the intake. I wanted to make that at least a true -10AN if I could. So, I swapped them seeing how they matched the hose size better when swapped.

- Robert
Thank you for explaining, makes perfect sense now
Old May 31, 2017, 06:49 AM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this tscomptuned breather valve and a JB 5858. Absolutely no oiling issues whatsoever.

My breather is just open with no catch can. I don't get any oil spray out of it b/c of the baffling under the valve cover.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KJS

I have this tscomptuned breather valve and a JB 5858. Absolutely no oiling issues whatsoever.

My breather is just open with no catch can. I don't get any oil spray out of it b/c of the baffling under the valve cover.
What about your PCV? Is that vented or still plumbed like stock?
Old May 31, 2017, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That is an Evo 9 valve cover, so quite different from the X. Also, JB vs BB turbo. BB turbo's are generally more sensitive to crank case pressure.

Go with the setup ETS did, and you'll be good to go. It's very simple to do.
Old May 31, 2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That is an Evo 9 valve cover, so quite different from the X. Also, JB vs BB turbo. BB turbo's are generally more sensitive to crank case pressure.

Go with the setup ETS did, and you'll be good to go. It's very simple to do.
yeah I'm going with the ets setup, just running catch cans in between.
Old May 31, 2017, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael

- Robert
Robert, what fitting did you use for the intake -10AN? looks like you drilled a hole into the intake and put the fitting in.

I'm looking for a flush fitting that does not have a nut on the inside of the intake (so no possibility of coming loose and taking the turbo out)
Old May 31, 2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Robert, what fitting did you use for the intake -10AN? looks like you drilled a hole into the intake and put the fitting in.

I'm looking for a flush fitting that does not have a nut on the inside of the intake (so no possibility of coming loose and taking the turbo out)
That's the ETS intake pipe, it comes with a bung welded in that the fitting threads into. No nut on the inside of the pipe, but a bung needs to be welded in if your intake doesn't already have one.
Old May 31, 2017, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Chokkan
That's the ETS intake pipe, it comes with a bung welded in that the fitting threads into. No nut on the inside of the pipe, but a bung needs to be welded in if your intake doesn't already have one.
Doesn't look welded in to me.... The ETS comes with a welded fitting but that is not what he is using in his photos.

You can even see the white sealant on it.

I think it's a bulk head fitting. I was just curious which one he used.

Name:  20161215_084750_zpsjr51rsag.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  177.7 KB

Name:  20161215_084744_zpsy7pdwlyv.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  180.9 KB
Old Jun 1, 2017, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Crankcase pressure problem on EVO X ?

Throw one of these at it:

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...iart-p1370.htm