Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Brand new clutch issue/ monoloc collar and throwout bearing.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new clutch issue/ monoloc collar and throwout bearing.

Soooooo, I got a brand new ACT clutch and installed it. Put the transmission back in a noticed that the clutch fork wasn't forward ( pushed towards the passenger side). Indicating that the throwout bearing wasn't locked into the collar so I looked through the peephole on the transmission. Before touching anything because I didn't want to cause any damage. The monoloc collar was pushed out the pressure plate and locked onto the throw out bearing. I've never seen this happen not once. So I pulled the transmission back out so I could inspect it hoping that nothing was damaged and I could just snap the collar back to the pressure plate and give it another go. Wellllll...... the throwout bearing was cracked so I'm not sure what exactly happened or what caused this. I called MAP and let them know what happened and they got in touch with ACT about the clutch. I'm just trying to understand what happened and why the throwout bearing cracked and did not lock into the flywheel.

You can clearly see the ears on the throwout bearing are yanked back. I feel like the pressure plate didn't release and thats the only thing that I can think of at this point.

And the crack inside the throwout bearing.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Something must have had a lot of force to bend those TOB "ears". Did you have issues removing it when you decided to drop the trans?

It the throw out bearing OEM or ACT?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Something must have had a lot of force to bend those TOB "ears". Did you have issues removing it when you decided to drop the trans?

It the throw out bearing OEM or ACT?
Everything is ACT from the flywheel to the TOB, when pulling it back out it came right back out because the monoloc was attached to the TOB but was not locked to the pressure plate. I called around to a few reputable shops that work on Evos the guy I spoke to at Kozmic in Huston TX and all he could come up with was that the transmission wasn't married all the way to the motor when it was bolted back up. Or B they sent me the wrong clutch. At this point I feel like its something I did when installing the transmission back in. But I didn't have any issues putting it back in. Picked the transmission back up with a jack there's nothing in the way all transmission mounts removed and the motor supported and moved a couple inches forward with the subframe dropped a little so the transmission could clear.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Did you try to lock in the TOB (pull clutch fork towards driver side) before you tightened the Trans to the engine?

You want to have the trans fully mated to the engine before trying to pop in the TOB to the collar.

Side note, always use OEM TOB. don't try to use another ACT TOB.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Did you try to lock in the TOB (pull clutch fork towards driver side) before you tightened the Trans to the engine?

You want to have the trans fully mated to the engine before trying to pop in the TOB to the collar.

Side note, always use OEM TOB. don't try to use another ACT TOB.

No I never locked it in didn't make it that far, I had the transmission all the way bolted up. Like I said at this point I feel like its something that I did that caused it.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Verify that you have all the right parts, its very odd that the center of the TOB broke and the ears bent like that.

Idk what happened, but as stated above you shouldn't be using the ACT TOB, they are junk. Get an OEM piece, check the collar in the pressure plate that the monoloc snaps into for any cracks. If its good, put the monoloc back in the pressure plate, use an OEM TOB and put it back together.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Verify that you have all the right parts, its very odd that the center of the TOB broke and the ears bent like that.

Idk what happened, but as stated above you shouldn't be using the ACT TOB, they are junk. Get an OEM piece, check the collar in the pressure plate that the monoloc snaps into for any cracks. If its good, put the monoloc back in the pressure plate, use an OEM TOB and put it back together.
Yeah, I inspected everything pressure plate and the collar just to make sure there was no damage. I ordered another TOB an OEM one. At this point I'm just stumped, so I'm waiting for the new one to come in and I'm going to extremely carefully put the transmission back in for the second time. Lol
Old Dec 3, 2019, 01:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Looks like the fork was behind the "ears" when trans was attached, so bent them when trying to snap the TOB in to place? I only say that because I can't see how the tabs would bend like that while the fork is in place.
weird.
I've never seen such a thing.
+1 on OEM TOBs. I have half a dozen reasons why.
Read the FSM to be 100% everything is being done correctly and triple check your work as you go. Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Looks like the fork was behind the "ears" when trans was attached, so bent them when trying to snap the TOB in to place? I only say that because I can't see how the tabs would bend like that while the fork is in place.
weird.
I've never seen such a thing.
+1 on OEM TOBs. I have half a dozen reasons why.
Read the FSM to be 100% everything is being done correctly and triple check your work as you go. Good luck!
I ordered another TOB and had an experienced mechanic help me put it in the second time. He and I pretty sure I figured out what happened. After the fact.

😑 After it was bolted down the individual that was helping me the first time. Tried to push the TOB in and broke it when I walked off to go grab an impact. Because the monoloc got knocked out of the pressure plate. Some how when the transmission went back in and hooked on to the TOB when he tried to lock it in. Obviously its probably not going to be able to go back into the pressure plate with the monoloc attached to the damn TOB. Instead of stopping when it wouldn't go in he tried to force it in and just didn't tell me about it.

I've been driving the car for a couple of days now and its running great. I'm pleased with the clutch set up the only issue I'm having now is getting use to how hard it grabs. The second you release the clutch enough for it to catch it grabs. So needless to say I've stalled the car a few times. 🤦‍♂️ It's not extremely difficult to drive, but I've killed it expecting it to slip a little like my old clutch when letting out. But right now it just doesn't have much give. Lol.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:56 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Yeah.. the monoloc/collar is easy to knock off the PP when installing the trans. It's infamous for making us R&R the trans more than once