Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hello...new here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister81
Yeah, the winters here are pretty mild compared to the areas mentioned above. When all is said and done there will probably be about 4 days where I'd have to be concerned with driving in the snow. Last year we were hit by two blizzards and the roads were only an issue for my Mustang 5 or 6 days. I'm pretty sure the Evo will perform better in the snow than my Mustang once I put some ASRs on it.
When you drive in the snow, just keep in mind how long you want to have your Evo. I plan on 10+ years for mine; it's not just a fad. I have already noticed a bit of minor bending on the FMIC radiator; it comes from little crap hitting it. Snow that's plowed generally has some salt or cinder crap in it, so that's why if there's a risk of anything getting into the front (I haven't even lowered mine but I do have the aero dam), I let her have the day off.

It seems that the best use of snow tires for the Evo's are in places where you're likely not even seeing a plow or where day-time sunlight isn't warming things up and refreezing again. That condition is why I see so many chunks here in STL, now considered "south central" by many geographers instead of it being "midwest".

So your car will definitely motor better than the 'Stang, but when it comes to ground clearance, it's just not there.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

^But let me say, when the snow first starts coming down or if there's a little ice on the road -- THAT'S a blast. Just gotta find places w/o other drivers trying to be heros.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
When you drive in the snow, just keep in mind how long you want to have your Evo. I plan on 10+ years for mine; it's not just a fad. I have already noticed a bit of minor bending on the FMIC radiator; it comes from little crap hitting it. Snow that's plowed generally has some salt or cinder crap in it, so that's why if there's a risk of anything getting into the front (I haven't even lowered mine but I do have the aero dam), I let her have the day off.

It seems that the best use of snow tires for the Evo's are in places where you're likely not even seeing a plow or where day-time sunlight isn't warming things up and refreezing again. That condition is why I see so many chunks here in STL, now considered "south central" by many geographers instead of it being "midwest".

So your car will definitely motor better than the 'Stang, but when it comes to ground clearance, it's just not there.
Understood! I don't plan on taking the Evo out in the snow very often. I will avoid it if I can...even if I have to bus or Metro into work for a day or two. I'm planning on keeping my Evo for quite a while and I don't want to risk damaging the FMIC just to get into work lol! But, if I absolutely have no other option I'll drive the Evo out in the ugly weather. That being the case I think ASRs are the way to go. I found a nice set of Sumimotos that have some really nice reviews. I also found a nice set of Falkens too so we'll see.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome man! i also bought my RR evo x last week.
my 7 months civic si was totalled and still injured !
now im loving my evo! its just so fun to drive!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

welcome to the family. you picked a good car