Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo feels sluggish and heavy...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine felt sluggish and hesitant until i found the vacuum hose was disconnected and the fuel relay was bad.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my Cobra the clutch failing actually acted like what you describe.

It would kind of surge in and out of power. It passed the other common clutch tests like flooring it in 5th gear at low speed. It would bog and not slip, but at 4500rpm to 7200rpm it would release and catch again so quickly that it just felt like a misfire from the motor. It would be pulling hard and kind of "skip" a beat and resume pulling hard. The skip was less than 100 milliseconds and it was not free-reving which would have been obvious to me. It would do this when warmed up so I thought it was a misfire of some kind. It would sometimes not do it at all, other times it would catch and release maybe 1-3 times in a single pull. Always north of 4500rpm. Otherwise no slip or other indication the clutch was going bad.

I never actually had it slip on me. Until one day I'm flooring it in 2nd gear and it blew up and shot shrapnel all over the place. After putting the new clutch in it never hesitated like that again.

So I've had many clutches fail in the normal ways throughout the years. But that one clutch on my Cobra was an odd beast. It acted completely different and I had no idea until it blew up. Luckily it didn't hurt the trans and I made out okay.

I have no idea whether that's your issue or not but I felt I should share my story.

Last edited by acidtonic; Dec 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLK
Mine felt sluggish and hesitant until i found the vacuum hose was disconnected and the fuel relay was bad.
+1 for the relay issue. looks like lots of them are going now that it is cold
Swap yours asap if the pump relay is black
Old Dec 8, 2011, 06:44 AM

I normally just read posts but I saw this and had to comment...

Will all do respect you are smoking crack. I have a 997tt as a weekend car and I am still amazed at the evos lightweight and responsive feel. The steering response is certainly better in the evo.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Check the plugs and do a compression test if you have a custome tune. It only takes a few minutes and 50 dollars for your own compression testing kit. If theyre fine, take a deep breath of relief because youve ruled out the worst and move on to investigating other problems which are minor at that point.

Tunes scare me, even if it was from a reputable place. They take a lot more time and money to dial in safely than most shops offer for their tuning package and customers are willing to spend from my experience.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought all EVO Xs feel this way

Rims have a huge effect on a cars attitude!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your best fix is to get yourself an old car. I get in my 90's Corolla for a while if I ever feel my Evo sluggin'.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:41 PM

I've only had my Evo for a few months and after getting used to it's power, it feels sluggish as well to me. I'm stock.. I need mods =(