Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Green_Bandit's 16g build thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
did you apply it to the block wet or dry for the oil pan
Old May 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A little wets...
Old May 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
To be frank I'd suspect more rattling parts and noise than actual knock in that area.

Log your knock voltage and see if on the deceleration your getting big voltage spikes. If so you got stuff rattling enough to make it believe there is real knock.
Youre right. My exhaust is bumping and vibrating against the bumper pretty bad. I need to get it adjusted soon. I was logging today just to confirm and I got a couple of counts of knock. The thing is I was watching and I was just barely on boost threshold and my AFRs were good.

Last edited by Green_Bandit; May 22, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Youre right. My exhaust is bumping and vibrating against the bumper pretty bad. I need to get it adjusted soon. I was logging today just to confirm and I got a couple of counts of knock. The thing is I was watching and I was just barely on boost threshold and my AFRs were good.
Always assume knock though, and try to combat it, then move on to other decisions I think...safety first. Are you running the Evo MAF or the stock Lancer MAF? If stock lancer, I saw a lot lower loads at the same "power" with the stock MAF. When I switched to the Evo MAF, I stepped up to the map that is in the auto SD rom, because it more closely fit my new curve (basically boost kicks in at 100 load).

With the stock lancer MAF, boost kicked in at 70 load...ish, maybe 75.

Also, how are your fuel trims, and what's your ISC steps at idle. Does it idle okay? I really like the way you have the BOV/diverter valve, I'm changing mine to look like that....it didn't dawn on me during install to do that. My upper pipe hits the hood, and has slowly worn the fireproofing off in that one spot, so I need the pipe to be lower, and your route would do it I think. Might need another hose to recirc though.....really nice man, nice nice install.

injectors? current injector duty %? boost is 5psi?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I went back and just took it as knock. I fixed my exhaust rattle and got the ***** to start editing the map. Basically pulling timing. I'm running the stock lancer may. That's good info about the loads. I thought it was strange that I was coming under load around 70 and others were saying nothing should be happening that low. I just want ahead and rolled with it and pulled timing. I think my fuel trim were ok. I can't say now because I just flashed it so its still learning them. It idles pretty well actually. A little hard to crank after it warms up but nothing major. My IC pipe would rub the hood but my strut bar stops that.

I'm running stock investors right now and 5 PSI. I figured I wanted to get tuning down before I started with the big boys. Didnt want to accidentally creep to 10 psi and blow up because I slipped. Can't really give a number on idc because I haven't did a strong pull. Just slight loads to sniff out knock.

It's kind of taking me while to tune because the lancer forums went ghost town on me. Steven, senate, roadspike, 03es, and touring bubble stopped posting heavy. Feel like I showed up late to the party. Nobody to check logs... Whats up guys?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

The stock timing should be good for like, 0-70 load, and then you might have to start improvising past that. Cranking is sorta tough, but I think a couple of us ironed it out in our various roms. I don't mind sending you mine, if you want to at least see it...although, it's not totally ideal, similar parts for sure though. I thought the same way as you, keep the 440's out until i get a decent tune.

One thing about the injectors though, it's safer to have the fuel be able to get there...it's much less safe to get to WOT, and hit max IDC, go lean/hot and something pops. Still, I'm like you, change as few things at once as possible.

Evo/Tephra rom? or base lancer rom?

Also, I don't see your logs anywhere to review them.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Green Bandit didn't u have your car boosted back in 08?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

he was using rrms turbo setup. i think that uses the evo iii turbo.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
The stock timing should be good for like, 0-70 load, and then you might have to start improvising past that. Cranking is sorta tough, but I think a couple of us ironed it out in our various roms. I don't mind sending you mine, if you want to at least see it...although, it's not totally ideal, similar parts for sure though. I thought the same way as you, keep the 440's out until i get a decent tune.

One thing about the injectors though, it's safer to have the fuel be able to get there...it's much less safe to get to WOT, and hit max IDC, go lean/hot and something pops. Still, I'm like you, change as few things at once as possible.

Evo/Tephra rom? or base lancer rom?

Also, I don't see your logs anywhere to review them.
Yes, youre right. Up to about 70 load its good, past that not so good. Before any edits stock is going to get about 8 counts of knock around that load. I wouldnt mind seeing how you edited your cranking. Like I said, cold starts are spot on but once driven fro a while it just takes a few more seconds of holding the key. Nothing major.

So would that fall under IPW vs coolant temp? Increase the higher temp columns by small %'s until desired cranking is met?

I know Mitsukid was using stock injectors and up to 10 pounds but his IDC was about 120. Not safe I know. I was going to wait until I can get questions in order before I mess with all that scaling. I dont foresee that as being fun at all.

Im running the auto Tephra rom. Great stuff. Hats off to the guys who put that together!

One thing I am having trouble with though is getting this wideband interfacing correctly. I take it most guys have the AEM with the 0-5v output right? I made a serial to usb for it but its not logging correctly. Did you guys run it to the ecu or go the usb route?

Originally Posted by Jogenmaru
he was using rrms turbo setup. i think that uses the evo iii turbo.
Yeah, what he said. I wanted to do it the right way. That kit generated so much heat, was controlled by an fmu and was restrictive. Im sure anyone can agree the 16g setup up is much more efficient that the t28 route.

The attachment is with timing pulled about 9 degrees already and this is the result. A little better around 70 load. Which loads should I be going off of in the data logs? Load calculated or loadmut2byte?
Attached Files
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Yes, youre right. Up to about 70 load its good, past that not so good. Before any edits stock is going to get about 8 counts of knock around that load. I wouldnt mind seeing how you edited your cranking. Like I said, cold starts are spot on but once driven fro a while it just takes a few more seconds of holding the key. Nothing major.

So would that fall under IPW vs coolant temp? Increase the higher temp columns by small %'s until desired cranking is met?

I know Mitsukid was using stock injectors and up to 10 pounds but his IDC was about 120. Not safe I know. I was going to wait until I can get questions in order before I mess with all that scaling. I dont foresee that as being fun at all.

Im running the auto Tephra rom. Great stuff. Hats off to the guys who put that together!

One thing I am having trouble with though is getting this wideband interfacing correctly. I take it most guys have the AEM with the 0-5v output right? I made a serial to usb for it but its not logging correctly. Did you guys run it to the ecu or go the usb route?

Yeah, what he said. I wanted to do it the right way. That kit generated so much heat, was controlled by an fmu and was restrictive. Im sure anyone can agree the 16g setup up is much more efficient that the t28 route.

The attachment is with timing pulled about 9 degrees already and this is the result. A little better around 70 load. Which loads should I be going off of in the data logs? Load calculated or loadmut2byte?

I went from the serial output of the AEM, straight into a rs-232 cable, and then into my laptop (no usb, old school serial only).

I can't check on the cranking stuff now, but I'd check with mitsu too, since he's usign the actual auto rom, I'm a stick shifter.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

i have the glowshift wideband and just like the prosport there isnt much people doing the logging with it and no option in ecu flash... it also has the 0-5v signal can i just set it up the same way as the aem?

Last edited by burner67; Jun 8, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burner67
i have the glowshift wideband and just like the prosport there isnt much people doing the logging with it and no option in ecu flash... it also has the 0-5v signal can i just set it up the same way as the aem?
The glowshift wideband that has data logging (green/brown/black wires), could potentially replace the rear o2 sensor, and log via ecuflash's address for that. The glowshift does not support serial output though, so it can't be logged that way.

AEM has serial and 0-5v output, so it an do both. The AEM also doesn't need to be calibrated like the glowshift does....if possible, use AEM wideband or other high end brand, skimping on boost gauge, or egt, or crap like that is probably okay, but for tuning you need exact numbers, and my EXP with glowshift is that they do not provide exact numbers (my GS boost gauge sits with power off at -3Hg or whatever)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and use "ECULoad". And PM me your e-mail, I want to send you my current rom, so you can compare the starting values, and see if they can be used to help fix yours up a little. Also, Mitsu will be able to provide his as well I'm sure, I can get his email if he isn't on the forums, it's saved in my box somewhere.

GAH, I finally got a chance to view that log. Log some different stuff.

ECULoad
TPS
RPM
TimingAdv
Wideband
IPW
IDC
LTFT's
os Sensor
o2 feedback
airflow
Speed
KnockSum
KnockVolt

That's what all I log, the rest I don't find necessary....unless scaling injectors or working on startup problems or something, idle problems...etc. Some of the things you have don't seem accurate or useful, like .....loadcalc....seems weird, doesn't line up with what ecuload would show., load mut2byte either, might not be in the auto rom...no body logs 2byte anymore, that's SOOO 2007, and airvol doesn't seem to mean anything, airflow in hz is great for that stuff.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Jun 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I have mine setup through a serial to usb but my doubts are if its set up properly. Im wondering if its the serial controller itself because I've read that the one from best buy isnt compatible with evoscan and thats the one I have. Im going to pass it through the ecu next when I have time. But now in that situation lies the dilemma of the right equation for wide band logging.

I would check with Mitsukid but he's gone ghost on us. People are disappearing around here...

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Oh, and use "ECULoad". And PM me your e-mail, I want to send you my current rom, so you can compare the starting values, and see if they can be used to help fix yours up a little. Also, Mitsu will be able to provide his as well I'm sure, I can get his email if he isn't on the forums, it's saved in my box somewhere.

GAH, I finally got a chance to view that log. Log some different stuff.
Ok, will do. Thanks or the direction

Last edited by Green_Bandit; Jun 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

alright so i guess i will be doing something like this -> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...o-evoscan.html

thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Green_Bandit's 16g build thread