Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Mivec Tuning for 411B NA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mivec Tuning for 411B NA

Does anyone have any information how much tuning can be performed on these engines NA perhaps with air filter, extractors and Good exhaust. Like if the civic is 200HP and still be tuned hard with its VTEC what options do we have to push it? I mean i can go to any tuning shop but is their anything to be looking for to get the most out of a 0-60MPH time for MIVEC?? What do you reakon could be the fastest 0-60 time MPH acheived out of this NA without Actual internal work performed. I mean i found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GIZZM...3286.m20.l1116 but im not entirely sure what it can do.

Cheers
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try not to get to ahead of yourself with the HP numbers. HP looks lovely on paper, but TQ in my personal opinion is more important.

I dont know what to say about the fastest 0-60 time, there are a few things in the works now that may drop the time dramatically but we will have to see.

That ebay item I would steer clear until someone else uses it with success. A full exhaust and header upgrade will give you a much added boost in the TQ department, helping you scream off the line
Old Dec 8, 2008, 06:13 PM

horsepower sells cars, torque wins races... nuff said
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

well in the end u need a balance of tq and hp =P
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:39 AM

if you are planing to ride in long distance and high speeds and also high rpms hp comes by but if you are talking about stiff in city quick throws tq would be nicer dicer

you can put an air filter, reprogram the ecu - chip tuning , have a nice cat-back exhaust system, and it can give you a smooth 15 ps at the wheel without changing motor parts hardcorely or internally or spend 2.500usd and have a turbo lancer

Last edited by Kelkek; Dec 16, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I've spent alot of hours street tuning my 5 speed with Road-Race. Tuned it for 91 octane and cleaned up the top-end a bit. As far as HP numbers go, i've yet to dyno my car with my newer mods (header, street tune, v2 intake) but believe me when i say there isn't a whole lot more tuning you can do to get it to beat an Si.

My gf owns an 06 Si and the torque of the Si beats my 5speed all day everyday.

To answer your original question there IS room for tuning at the top end. But im not talkin like 10hp or anything.... butt dyno confirms a gain. Not "alot" though.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

not to be an ***, but you won't ever compete with an SI without serious motor work (internals, headwork, cams, ecu). And even then, the SI can put on some ebay parts, header, intake, exhaust (because the civic is actually popular and has cheap-parts that work) and still beat you. I am not saying they are super-fast...but it takes very, very little compared to the lancer to achieve even 190whp-200whp. Honda's VTEC is nothing like MIVEC and they will never be most likely. MIVEC is simply adjusting your cam timing on the 4b11...VTEC is adjusting cam timing, lift, and duration with a secondary camshaft lobe for intake and exhaust...essentially switching to a race cam-on the fly. Along with higher-flowing heads, higher compression, and better R/S ratio for NA, the K20's are a much better engine for NA applications (and likely turbo, its just a kick *** engine really)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Evolve247
I've spent alot of hours street tuning my 5 speed with Road-Race. Tuned it for 91 octane and cleaned up the top-end a bit. As far as HP numbers go, i've yet to dyno my car with my newer mods (header, street tune, v2 intake) but believe me when i say there isn't a whole lot more tuning you can do to get it to beat an Si.

My gf owns an 06 Si and the torque of the Si beats my 5speed all day everyday.

To answer your original question there IS room for tuning at the top end. But im not talkin like 10hp or anything.... butt dyno confirms a gain. Not "alot" though.
the torque on a civic SI is a joke... its like what 139 at 6200 rpm?

anyway on a side note for a civic to have everything i have in my car it would cost around 28.5k my car cost 22k ...dealer priced so i imagine the dealership would mark up the honda oh say 500 dollars so thats what 29k to 22k? ok drop a aftermarket turbo in the lancer for 4.5k, 26.5k car faster and still cheaper. In other words suck my big toe

Last edited by JWhat89; Dec 16, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

The 4B11 is a perfectly square engine. That said, it is a perfect candidate for a high revving NA motor. If someone actually takes the time to learn the MIVEC coding to be able to fully tune or manage the ECU AND take the time to alter a motor to run at such high revs is also a long shot. I would personally love to see RRM or anyone else make an attempt at this because, as we know the 4B11 has a lot of potential. If it would still pass emission tests or get any kind of reasonable gas mileage would also have to be seen. Just my 2 cents on any sort of NA tune.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well since we're talking SI that car is a couple hundred pounds lighter than yours which also plays a difference. Anyone tried adjusting your timing?