Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Getting rid of a few chips...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of a few chips...

So I was backing into my parking spot in school today and I was going slow and didn't realize I was so close to the wall and then I heard like a crunch, and of course, I kind of hit the wall a little bit, lol.

My bumper got a few scratches/chips.
Anyway, most of the scratches rubbed off from what i saw, and there was only a little dirt.
But there seem to be a few chips that aren't that deep that I definitely want to get rid of....

So do any of you have any suggestions on how I should get rid of them, or what kind of material/chemical I should use to get rid of them?

Help is appreciated, thanks
Old Oct 17, 2007, 01:51 PM

try water sanding it
Old Oct 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt water sand it. If you do, your clear coat will be shot and the paint will be either rust or fade badly in a matter of time. If your insurance deductible isnt too much go with that and let the pros do it. It should be covered under comprehensive and shouldn't raise your rates if you make a claim. You could try touch up paint before the insurance claim, but if you cant get it to look right, go with the insurance.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eagles GTS
I wouldnt water sand it. If you do, your clear coat will be shot and the paint will be either rust or fade badly in a matter of time. If your insurance deductible isnt too much go with that and let the pros do it. It should be covered under comprehensive and shouldn't raise your rates if you make a claim. You could try touch up paint before the insurance claim, but if you cant get it to look right, go with the insurance.
Yeah, I just tried some turtle wax compound/polisher/scratch remover and it didn't really help at all, because it still has a few chips/bumps.
I might try buffing it with the polish, would that be a good idea? And then if that doesn't work I would get the touch up paint from the mitsubishi dealership, right?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:49 PM

If you can feel the scratch/chip with your fingernail, touch up paint is your best bet.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt the dealer will have the paint. Try to google the paint color. Insurance is your best bet
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:39 AM

Yeah, that's what I figured too Eagle, the dealer probably won't have the touch up pen for the graphite gray. I was looking online and they have the graphite grey touch up pen for the 2007 Outlander and 2006 Lancers, but I don't know if that is going to match perfectly.

After rubbing some compound and adding a glaze I was able to remove some of the scratches yesterday, so all thats left are a few bumps and chips so I'm going to take it down to a local body shop of a guy that I know and see if he can just buff the rest out for me...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:43 AM

The dealer should have the touch up pen. I got mine 2 months ago. I don't know if they got graphite gray.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mystick
The dealer should have the touch up pen. I got mine 2 months ago. I don't know if they got graphite gray.
Where on the internet I can get a touch up pen? because I was looking for one on the dealers here in PR and all of them told me that they didn't have it, and also didn't know when they will going to have it.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

they should order one for you.. thats what i did.. they charged me 12 bucks us dollars for the pen and the shipping... but the mitsu touchup pen SUCKS.. the paint i like but the clearcoat...is ****... but u can always try.. i plan on repainting my whole car in 4 years or so...