Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.
View Poll Results: Who has had CVT Problems? Repairable or Replaced?
No Problems
36.36%
Had Problems
36.36%
It Was Repairable
18.18%
Full Transmission Replacement
22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Who has had CVT problems?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you describe whining and slipping? Ive never had the slow down warning before.
Can you take a photo of your temperature gauge bar on the dash(my bar is very close to middle)? I think my ES is running a little hotter than normal. I suspect maybe its time I need to replace my water pump. I just hit 100K.
The coolant in my reservoir is 2-3 inches below the "L" marking too.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Porkchop206
My cvt went out at 65k
It looks like u have to change the oil every 40k.
So i had to replace it. The cheapest i found came out of a 2010 i got it for $750. It was a direct fit to my 2008 gts but now i have a problem, the 2008 model has a pressure sensor and the 2010 doesn't have it so now i have a check engine light and the car feels like has no power to take off
I think that since the computer is looking for that pressure signal it cuts the power at take off
I wonder if there is any way to fix this problem without having to replace the transmission.

where did you get info about the pressure sensor??
Old Mar 20, 2018, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CMcraz23
I havent had it fixed yet, on mitsubishiparts.net the quote is around 5k. Used trannys would be less of course, and labor would be dependent on labor cost per hour. My local mitsu deal charges 84 a hour. I would imagine it would take some time to get in installed.
I might be looking to replace my tranny at 125K. Just replaced the CVT fluid (used a vacuum pump) and 2 out of 10 times, when I'm at 3500-4500 rpm WOT, I hear the whining noise. It sounds like the whinning noise you get when you need to change the cvt fluid, but much louder and the while completely goes away below 3500. How many hours of labor/price did it cost you to replace tansmission?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pcguru2000
I might be looking to replace my tranny at 125K. Just replaced the CVT fluid (used a vacuum pump) and 2 out of 10 times, when I'm at 3500-4500 rpm WOT, I hear the whining noise. It sounds like the whinning noise you get when you need to change the cvt fluid, but much louder and the while completely goes away below 3500. How many hours of labor/price did it cost you to replace tansmission?
Did you replace the tranny filter?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Newuser213
Did you replace the tranny filter?
I have never replaced filter. You're talking about the filter behind the pancake warmer with the tubes coming out? I'm not pulling off half the stuff to get to it. Is there also one above the cvt pan?

I think there may be dirt/debris in the fluid. I'm going to drain and fill it with Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 which is suppose to be compatible with Mitsubishi CVTF-J1 and then drive around for about 15 minutes, then drain and fill again. That should flush out 77% of the existing fluid. So if it's a debris issue and it's not caught in the filter, it will drain out the pan. I bought 8 quarts of the pennzoil for $66 and I still have one quart of the J4.

At one time I wanted to replace that warmer with the version that has 4 tubes (mine just has 2) and when I saw how much work it took to get to that warmer, I changed my mind.

Also I saw online a guy take apart completely this cvt and tried to look at what my suction tube could have damaged going in through the dipstick tube. As it is...the car has $125k and i'm getting rid of it this weekend. I found out that I also had gas in my oil by doing an oil Analysis so the thought of taking it somewhere to have the transmission replaced or worked on, plus troubleshooting a possible injector issue, I decided to pour the money into a new car. I really loved my 13 years of driving two Mitsubishis, learned a ton and got to make mistakes on a cheap car. I'm already set to by another car and it is not going to be a Mitsubishi, so with heavy heart this may be my final post.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:16 PM

I bought my '10 lancer gts at 70k miles and never changed the cvt fluid till 150k miles, don't ask me why lol. Car still runs good but sometimes it laggs or jerks or takes a split seecond to accelerate during incomplete stops. If i stop completely.. then accelerate, it dosent do it.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 08:23 PM

I just bought a 2008 with 174000 my miles lol, and alho this thread slightly worried me it doesn't have any issues and I'm wondering what I need to do to keep it that way. O God
Old Jan 10, 2024, 04:57 PM

I've had my 2010 GTS sportback since it came off the lot. It now has 122k on it, and I got a P0715 (Primary Speed Sensor) code last week. The car lurched a few times, the code came in, then the car wouldn't shift higher than 3rd (even trying the paddles).

At some point in our relationship, I got a hold of the service manual, so I looked at the diagnostics and it pointed toward replacing the speed sensor.

I took it to a recommended transmission place, and as soon as I mentioned the code, the guy starts talking like it's the transmission. "It's never the sensor." I told him the car ran fine (no grinding, slipping, etc.) other than the restrictions on the transmission. He took a look at it.

The next day he called to tell me that if I wanted to replace "it," he would need to order the part from a dealer. I asked him which part, and he confirmed it was the speed sensor (and not the CVT). He quoted about $500 for the repair ($169 for the part, $300 for labor). I considered doing it myself, but didn't think I would have the time. My son uses the car to get to school and back, and I thought they would be able to do it faster than I.

Over the next week I would call every day and they couldn't get the part. One dealer had it, then didn't. Another dealer was going to send the part overnight, then couldn't.

Finally, I picked up the car yesterday (no charge) with no repairs, and I ordered a replacement online. It got here today.

I took off the air box, found the sensor, disconnected and removed it.

Then I compared the sensor I took out with the replacement. They are not the same.

Turns out I ordered the Secondary Speed Sensor (online parts store did not specify, and the 2ndary electrical connection has an elbow). Bad news #1.

Also, when I removed the sensor, I noticed the "sensor" end of it looks chewed up. Bad news #2.

The replacement part will be here on Friday, but I'm not having a good feeling about putting it in and not getting chewed up like the first one.

And, at this point, assuming it does chew it up...I'm not sure I want to get a new transmission (which would be an old transmission).

As I said, it has 122k miles on the car and this is the first thing that's happened to it that wasn't part of normal wear and tear maintenance.

I've done a lot with the car, and it'll be a little sad to put it out of its misery if it comes to it.

Cheers.