Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Help Car died

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Car died

hey guys, i also own a 08 lancer which is my gf's car as well, anyway she filled up at chevron last monday car died on highway on wednesday. I was out of state advised her to park it, so i had it towed to dealer they dropped the tank and are telling me the gas has turned into this gel like subastance which has clogged fuel lines, pump, filter WTF would cause this?

i know sugar in tank is myth because it does not dissolve but will clog filter so thats out the window, could some one have filled the tank with something else?

called chevron they have no other reports of gas gone bad

WTF.....HELP please!

Last edited by KaizLancer; Oct 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it to the dealership. it's under warranty.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:08 AM

its in tow to dealer now
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:04 AM

update to the top
Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KaizLancer
hey guys, i also own a 08 lancer which is my gf's car as well, anyway she filled up at chevron last monday car died on highway on wednesday. I was out of state advised her to park it, so i had it towed to dealer they dropped the tank and are telling me the gas has turned into this gel like subastance which has clogged fuel lines, pump, filter WTF would cause this?

i know sugar in tank is myth because it does not dissolve but will clog filter so thats out the window, could some one have filled the tank with something else?

called chevron they have no other reports of gas gone bad

WTF.....HELP please!

I've only heard of this happening to diesel fuel when it gets really cold. Once it's turned to jelly, you have to add more diesel fuel to break it up. Never heard of this happening in gasoline cars. Wonder if it is some addative that was added to the gas. hope you get it fixed.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the dealer to keep a sample of the gas, have the reciept from filling up. Take pictures as well. Sounds like bad gas to me. Gas doesn't just gel up. As said before only diesel gels up at extreme cold temps. You might be going in for a fight with chevron. In my experience their gas is high quality. Talk to the tech's see what they think. Good luck with this!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
Get the dealer to keep a sample of the gas, have the reciept from filling up. Take pictures as well. Sounds like bad gas to me. Gas doesn't just gel up. As said before only diesel gels up at extreme cold temps. You might be going in for a fight with chevron. In my experience their gas is high quality. Talk to the tech's see what they think. Good luck with this!
Thanks! i have fuel sample, insurance is also looking into it, did not get a receipt for gas but do have bank statement showing the purchase there was made, its gonna suck to win this one
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would just try to claim it on your insurance and let them handle everything.

or if you have a lawyer friend who can help you out, hiring a lawyer might get pricey in this situation.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lancer: sorry to hear that,

Please take your car from the dealer, take fuel pump out, and shine inside of the tank see if they are any bubbles floating, if yes, you have water in tank. anyway, to test it even better? take some of that gas into small clear cup, and see if it changes color after a min. Water will show on the bottom and fuel will be floating on top.

To fix it? you need to drain all the gas from tank, not sure if its same as evo's on evo's we have small drain on the bottom of the tank if you look underneath... if not you need to pump it out-

drain everything out, clean the fuel pump, filter...

put new gas in, start the car, it will take few tries, it will start smoking a bit.

good luck

p/s do not trust small gas stations, there was one lady at non-performance friends shop with same problem, after few miles her car died. (water in tank)

I hope your motor is still ok,

if you do not know how to check everything, i would call insurance and maybe sue gas station if really water was in tank with samples.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Oct 28, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:00 PM

thanks for all the replies i hope the engine is ok! if not ugh its gonna suck
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Keep up us posted as well. That is the first i heard of such thing. Typically like everyone said it happens to diesel during low temps.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:18 AM

so insurance got a fuel sample turned out to be sugar / diesel mixture, sugar was still granulated on fuel pump and clogged filter, so my next mission is to get a locking gas cap!

i should have the car back tomorrow ill keep this thread posted with a full report
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
doesn't the lancer have a gas door that can only be opened from the inside of the car? If someone forced it open there would be signs.

Now the real question is who'd you **** off to do this to you?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:52 AM

finally got the car back, went and checked the fuel door and you can see where is had me tampered with! effin idiots who funked up the tank, any one know what locking gas cap i can use?