Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RS200
The car is automatic-only for cost reasons only. They carbon copied the existing Z4, which offers the same transmission, but the chief engineer's argument is asinine. Nobody is cross-shopping the new $55k Supra against the $25k 86. A person who passes on the Supra because it lacks a 'real' transmission option isn't going to buy a manual transmission 86 because it's the next best thing. They are going to be buying something else that's in the Supra's price bracket. On the other end, nobody who is shopping for an 86 is going to gravitate towards the Supra, they are two totally different types of car buyer. Toyota has to know this thing is a dud, and they have to be scrambling to come up with another option.
Agree with this, the 86 guy especially the one that has the skirt kit and pipes on his 86 and loves watching drift events would go the Supra as the next step up
Old Jan 21, 2019, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
there are def a lot of cars i would buy before this one that's for sure.

i would have much rather they built a new car, maybe off of the LC platform but smaller & stripped down. not necessarily the v8 but toyota has a lot of resources. yes it would have gotten hate but at least they would have built their own car. they built the LFA for godssake they've got some knowhow to do this kind of thing
Old Jan 21, 2019, 04:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Yeah. A "real" Toyota would have been more exciting. I'm bummed ,but eh well. Now it's up to the aftermarket to see how it turns out.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 08:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah. A "real" Toyota would have been more exciting. I'm bummed ,but eh well. Now it's up to the aftermarket to see how it turns out.
really? you seam to be defending it tooth and nail... even their absurd 86 manual excuse
Old Jan 21, 2019, 08:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
really? you seam to be defending it tooth and nail... even their absurd 86 manual excuse
Like I said: not defending, just not hating. My not being up in arms about how it turned out doesn't mean I don't wish it had been something different. Not being in the market for the car, I'm mostly indifferent.
I still don't understand why so many people are bent about it. Well, other than hard-core fans. That I get because this would be a serious disappointment to them. Like for us, if the next Evo came out and was an EV or something.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Like I said: not defending, just not hating. My not being up in arms about how it turned out doesn't mean I don't wish it had been something different. Not being in the market for the car, I'm mostly indifferent.
I still don't understand why so many people are bent about it. Well, other than hard-core fans. That I get because this would be a serious disappointment to them. Like for us, if the next Evo came out and was an EV or something.
I think the only way to get the fan boys to calm their **** is for Toyota to go back many years ago and never partnered up with BMW. Made it manually exclusive, pushing at least 450 to the wheels and made it look exactly like the A80. Also cost under 40k.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If Chevy can build affordable high performance sports cars (Camaro and lower end Corvettes), why can't Toyota? It is #2 in sales of all other manufacturers and has led in recent years. If it was a smaller company, I can see farming it out to BMW, but Toyota has the resources to do more.

Toyota desperately needs to liven up their image and this just seems inadequate unless they are seriously underating the horsepower.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
or just.. let the name die
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:36 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I think the only way to get the fan boys to calm their **** is for Toyota to go back many years ago and never partnered up with BMW. Made it manually exclusive, pushing at least 450 to the wheels and made it look exactly like the A80. Also cost under 40k.
Truth.

I think Toyota rolled the dice. Doesn't seem to be well received. Oops.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
When you have unrealistic expectations, you'll always be unhappy. Cars that make over over 450 wheel from the factory all cost of 60k. Regardless of what it costs to build, if you produce a car in that range, you price it accordingly.

Originally Posted by revhappy
If Chevy can build affordable high performance sports cars (Camaro and lower end Corvettes), why can't Toyota? It is #2 in sales of all other manufacturers and has led in recent years. If it was a smaller company, I can see farming it out to BMW, but Toyota has the resources to do more.

Toyota desperately needs to liven up their image and this just seems inadequate unless they are seriously underating the horsepower.
Toyota sales are strong. They were the 2nd most valuable brand in 2018, behind only Mercedes. Please, tell me what they're doing wrong...lol. Huge auto manufacturers don't build cars for the .2% of potential new car buyers that don't like the new supra. That's what companies like Lotus do, and that's why they don't have a measurable market share. Sure, they're successful in their segment, but on the grand scheme they're nothing compared to Toyota or another big brand.

Toyota might have the resources, but when you're publicly traded, you have to perform well for the share holders. And spending hundreds of millions to develop a niche car with its own unique platform and engine is NOT how you make a profit when that vehicle goes to market and you sell 10k units a year. It's funny you point out GM being able to offer cheap and fast sports cars.... They're also massively in debt, closing plants, and laying off large numbers of their work force. So, what does that tell you? They can't even sell Camaro's at sticker. I was about to buy a 1SS 1LE in May, I had barely started haggling and the sales manager brought me a number that was like $6500 off sticker, and they were trying to get my dad to trade his gen5 ZL1 in on a gen6, they were giving private party value on his car, and $7500 off the new one...lol

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 22, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
1. When you have unrealistic expectations, you'll always be unhappy. Cars that make over over 450 wheel from the factory all cost of 60k. Regardless of what it costs to build, if you produce a car in that range, you price it accordingly.

2. Huge auto manufacturers don't billed cars for the .2% of potential new car buyers that don't like the new supra. That's what companies like Lotus do, and that's why they don't have a measurable market share. Sure, they're successful in their segment, but on the grand scheme they're nothing compared to Toyota or another big brand.

3. I was about to buy a 1SS 1LE in May, I had barely started haggling and the sales manager brought me a number that was like $6500 off sticker, and they were trying to get my dad to trade his gen5 ZL1 in on a gen6, they were giving private party value on his car, and $7500 off the new one...lol
1. I think 99% of the people complaint about the Supra's HP rating are forgetting this. Not like the car is a turd with BRZ power. LOL

2. Exactly. The hard core peeps can't accept thisd and demand a car built the way they would. Unrealistic.

3. A friend of mine just bought one. After a month of research he kept coming back to it because it was just so cheap and better value vs performance than anything else he could find.
At that price, I kinda want one!
Another guy I know tossed on some R1s and is lapping Buttonwillow at 1'43".xxx. Unfair!

Last edited by kaj; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The power and torque vs weight are very good. The only next comparable car in the price range is probably a Mustang GT or Camaro SS with their respective performance package, but both of those cars weight a solid 400-500lbs more than the new Supra.

I decided on the raptor over a Camaro for now. I'll pick up a used one for $28-30 in a year or two once the raptor is paid off.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

this fanboi would be happy if the there was a manual transmission option. I'm not a huge fan of the BMW plastic everything under the hood, but the actual engine is good, so I can live with that. and in this day and age, nearly all new cars have a ton of plastic crap under the hood.

if I was going for ideal (don't think its realistic), here's the list:
double wishbone front suspension
DCT or 3 pedal manual option (no slushbox)
either a unique I6 (designed by Toyota and/or Yamaha) without plastic everything or even still the BMW engine but with some of the parts replaced with metal. Power in the 400-450 range to put it in the same competition as the last one was, Corvette, 911, etc.
in theme of keeping the same company as the last Supra, price would need to be between Corvette and 911, starting around 60k. the under 40k price "to keep fanboi's happy" you mentioned is a bit ridiculous, the car was over 40k in the 90's. There's no car that sold for 40 back then thats still 40 now. a decently optioned 3 series was in the 30's and now its easily high 40's or 50's.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:20 PM
kaj

The Supra was expensive in it's day. This one is about the same in today's dollars ,yeah?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm no expert in inflation, but I think its about the same. the big difference is the level of performance, it can no longer compete with the same cars it did in the 90's but it still costs the same as those cars (assuming 50-60k price tag).

Quick Reply: New Supra Specs and Pricing